CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   600 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-41/)
-   -   1000rr Mirror on F4i w/ Hotbodies Turn Signals (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-41/1000rr-mirror-f4i-w-hotbodies-turn-signals-137686/)

Andrew Vigotsky 05-04-2012 11:02 PM

1000rr Mirror on F4i w/ Hotbodies Turn Signals

Hey,
So I decided to retrofit some 1000rr mirrors onto my F4i, but now I have a wiring issue:
There are 3 wires coming from the bike:
- Running
- Blinker
- Ground

There are 3 wires coming from the mirror:
- Running
- Blinker
- Ground

But, there are only 2 wires coming from the hotbodies integrated turn signal:
- Running/Blinker (light stays on, but blinks if the blinker is on)
- Ground

I was wondering how I can go about hooking this up properly? I do not want to combine the running/blinker on the mirror. Is there some sort of valve/wire merger I can use that will only allow the current to flow one way? Kind of new to wiring..

Thanks!

Ian Gellman 05-17-2013 04:12 PM

Have you ever figured out this issue? Also, how did you retrofit the 1000rr onto the f4i? I would like to do that as well, but don't know how to proceed.

Andrew Vigotsky 05-18-2013 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ian Gellman (Post 1232987)
Have you ever figured out this issue? Also, how did you retrofit the 1000rr onto the f4i? I would like to do that as well, but don't know how to proceed.

Yes, actually I did figure it out.

What I did was bought ebay 1000rr mirrors (~$45 or so, something like Honda CBR 1000 RR CBR1000RR Turn Signal Integrated Mirrors 2008 2009 2010 2011 | eBay).

I took the back plastic covering off (you unscrew it then peel it from the base, there's some sort of hot plastic-like substance holding it at the base). The side that you remove is the side of the immobile screw (it's attached to the metal in the base).

I grinded the screw off and drilled a hole where the new screw should be. Get a VERY strong drill bit (I think mine was made of cobalt) as it's metal. Put a screw through the hole you drilled.

Strip out the screw holes on the bike where you'd mount the mirrors/screw them in. Drill a hole for the wires to run through.

Place the new mirrors in, hold it in place with lock nuts.

As for the wiring, I had to play around with it to get it right — the wire colors on the ebay mirrors were mislabeled (for mine at least). In short, splice them and play around with them. Keep the wires away from the fork, especially when starting the bike. I went through close to a dozen fuses because of this.

I hope this helps. If you'd like I can post pictures later and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Ian Gellman 06-02-2013 07:25 PM

Thanks for the response. I couldn't find this thread for the longest. Sure, can you provide some pictures of it? How do you like it? How's the quality of the mirrors when you reach higher speeds? Does it vibrate excessively? I'm actually looking into buying a pair of high quality 1000rr mirrors that's close to OEM, so I'm really interested in how this went for you. My only issue is the angle that the mirrors will sit on the nose of the bike using the same stock from the 1000rr mirrors. I have a 2004 CBR600 F4I, and was also wondering if you can possibly provide me with what angle your mirrors sit at when at stock? The company that I'm trying to get the mirrors from is making a custom fit base plate, and when comparing my original stock mirrors to a 600rr, it was relatively low. I don't have my bike at the moment so I can't even look at this.

Andrew Vigotsky 06-11-2013 07:04 PM

Pics are here: F4i + 1000rr mirrors - Imgur

I like em a lot, I definitely feel safer being that the blinkers are easier to see and I like the look of em as well. Vibration isn't too bad, I can still make out objects at highway speeds.

I'm not sure what angle my mirrors sat at stock, but these are definitely more parallel with the ground.

Also, to answer your original question, a diode (1N4001-7 (I used these: Rectifier Diodes (25-Pack) : Diodes | RadioShack.com)) will prevent the backflow of electricity.

Scott91370 06-11-2013 10:29 PM

Looking at the pic here it appears you have them n the wrong side. They may stand up a little more, like oem, if you swap them.
Honda CBR1000RR 2008 | Indiaon2wheels

Andrew Vigotsky 06-12-2013 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Scott91370 (Post 1237160)
Looking at the pic here it appears you have them n the wrong side. They may stand up a little more, like oem, if you swap them.
Honda CBR1000RR 2008 | Indiaon2wheels

If I were to swap them, the blinker would be facing me. It's one solid piece, so I couldn't swing it around or anything like that. The angle the mount is just different from that on the 1000rr, nbd.