CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Budget F4 TD/Race Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget F4 TD/Race Build

Go here for this thread. I deleted all my posts in here.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=42644

Last edited by DrAwkwArD; 06-02-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to have you here DrAwkwArD. I really like threads like this.

There's quite a few of us on here w/ the Sunset Yellow paint scheme, me included. Well, except for the tail which is Honda silver. I did the split-seat conversion some time ago & love it. The first time I had the bike at the track after doing the conversion, I was thrilled. I was able to get off the seat better for the body position I wanted for track riding.

Look forward to more updates as you progress.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Avi

you have one more F4 owner (although tri-color paint scheme ) watching to see how it goes.

one question, you said you bought a 600RR 2008 shock . is this a simple replacement as it sounds or are there adjustments to do like length or springs/valves ?

Avi

Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Avi

Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD
Avi, per the measurements I was given of the 08 600RR shock, there should be no problem with fitment. When I get the shock I'll have a better understanding of this, but I think it should go smoothly. The free lengths of the shocks are VERY close if not the same.

The valving on the RRs shock is night and day compared to the F4s. We're talking about a street/tourer bike from 10 years ago compared to a race replica...the changes are many. The spring weight for the RR is an 11kg which is pretty stiff. That should work well for a 200-220lb rider (with gear) and still be soft enough for lighter riders. When choosing springs on RaceTechs website the spring that was needed for my weight was only 1kg more than stock. If I'm lucky, I should be able to just leave the stock sprung the way it is. If not, I buy a $110 spring and replace it...not bad considering how much money has gone into updating the rear compared to respringing/revalving an outdated shock to the tune of $300.

Regardless, I'll update with pics when I install the shock. I'll be sure to take good measurement for everyone.

As for the paint scheme...if I get my way, it won't e black and yellow forever. But that's top secret.

And I DO like the black and yellow, after all it's the colors of the greatest football team of all time....STEELERS!!!
now I feel like an id***. I replaced my malfunctioning 00 shock with a "new" 00 shock that works. although better than the original one, seems for the same price I could get the 08 one

anyway, I 'll be waiting to see how it works out

Old 03-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Nice thread!

I'm rebuilding my own F4 racebike also, but gone another way. I have swapped the front to a 06 1000RR. Won't 500$ get you pretty close to that? I think a 600RR front would have been even better, but I had the other one laying around!

Are you leaving the engine standard?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The kit works pretty good to sharpen kitchen knives too coincidentally.
Ha! Good one.

The process you described reminded me of clay-barring.

Great stuff on the carb clean.

Looking forward to more...

Old 03-07-2011, 03:40 AM

I have thought about converting the front end, but most fork sets I find from the RR series are $250 to $400 without clip-ons or brakes. I'd LOVE to do the conversion if I could for under...$500? That's what the RaceTech crap is going to cost unfortunately.

Your thread is great and you're delving much deeper into the engine than I plan on. This bike is hopefully going to be a hobby TD bike, but in the future I'd really like to start racing, but money is definitely the issue, as is time.

In 27K miles, the engine hasn't been gone through. I have a feeling I have a valve job in my future, but when I ran the engine it sounded really tight (as I've heard they do). I probably should go through everything and get all new seals and whatnot, but again money is the inhibitor. If I could get away with just replacing the springs I definitely would...maybe I'll take one of the forks apart and see how the valves look...maybe I can rebuild them?

Who knows...I wish I was rich damn it.
Haha! Yeah I know the problem. I finally managed to afford racing, but it has to be in preinjection classes. Still good fun though! And the bike is brilliant as standard, so can't wait to feel it after all the work I have done to it.

If you ask me, this is a very good deal. Should also be with in your 500$ budget.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...#ht_2311wt_939

I have a set of BSS öhlins sprung forks I'm going to throw on ebay. I expect around 200 - 300$ for them, so compared I think the RR forks have a good price.

Don't know anything about rebuilding the forks, but can it be that bad? The will to want gives you the abilities to do!

My engine was checked over by a race mechanic last year. So I hope I do not need a valve job yet. Don't know why, but that scares me a little! Look forward to the post though!

I done quite some work to the bike and reusing old seals with no problems so far. Have just ordered a complete set though, since all the manuals I read state to use new ones.

Looking forward to follow you thread.
Cheers

Old 03-07-2011, 01:17 PM

Ah, yeah. Few things I didn't think about/ saw.

You need the top triple and a new front wheel, so that's some extra $ :/

Regarding the swap. For the '06 1000RR it was a direct swap. Bearings and everything fitted. Only thing is that the bike is 5mm lower in front. For me that's great, because I already had lowered it with the standard forks.

Advantage by running a newer front end:
3kgs lost (on the 1000RR, maybe more from a 600RR?)
bigger brake disc's and better calibers.

Of course a F4 front end with the right springs will still be very good and more than good enough for most people. Though I believe I will have better feel with the front tire from the newer forks and better brakes always give's more confidence.

Maybe that's the way to start? Buy a good set of internals, get the valves inspected like you say and see how it goes?

Old 03-08-2011, 10:14 AM

In 27K miles, the engine hasn't been gone through. I have a feeling I have a valve job in my future, but when I ran the engine it sounded really tight (as I've heard they do).
Highly doubtful it will need it unless the engine was neglected. I wouldn't bother unless you are bored, have the free time, and want to familiarize yourself a little more with the engine.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:53 PM

...This is seriously throwing me through a loop. I want this to be a testament to building a budget track bike, and over $500 on fork internals isn't doing that. If anyone has refurbished the internals, please chime in.
I have the Race Tech gold rebound/compression valves (along with 1.0kg springs) in my forks and they work great! It is really hard to compare these forks with the front end of my Gixxer (not enough track time on the Gix), but I love the "feel" of the re-valved F4 front end.

Quick Reply: Budget F4 TD/Race Build