1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Turn signal relay replacement - advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal relay replacement - advice please!

I am just fitting Proton Flushmount front indicators to my Bike after already having fitted rear LEDs a while ago.

Now I am back to fast flashing again which i would rather not have. I have fitted resistors to the rear LEDs but this seems to make no difference to flash rate once the front LEDs are added.

Because there is not much room between fairing and bike and because the ceramic resistors do get hot I am a little loathe to fit them to the front as they will sit up against the inside of the middle fairing cowl and I am bothered about damage. The rear ones are mounted under the seat cowl well away from bodywork but there doesn't seem a "safe" place to fit the front resistors.

So I am looking to change the flasher unit relay and it couldn't be in a much more awkward place to get to right between the front lights.

Can anybody who has swapped out the relay give me any short cuts to changing it out or do I have to go through the whole upper cowl removal, front light removal etc. to do it as per the manual?

Also if I ever sell the bike and re-fit the stock indicators will I also have to change the relay back to the original or does the new relay work with both? Apologies for my electrical ignorance !!!!!

thanks for your help again.

Roger

Old 03-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Default RE: Turn signal relay replacement - advice please!

ORIGINAL: rogfog

Can anybody who has swapped out the relay give me any short cuts to changing it out or do I have to go through the whole upper cowl removal, front light removal etc. to do it as per the manual?
Yep , one big PITA , you can get rid of the ceramic resistors in the back you wont need them anymore.

ORIGINAL: rogfog

Also if I ever sell the bike and re-fit the stock indicators will I also have to change the relay back to the original or does the new relay work with both? Apologies for my electrical ignorance !!!!!

thanks for your help again.

Roger
The new relay works with both.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:26 PM

This may have already been answered, but, what relay do you use to replace the stock one?

Old 03-04-2007, 12:53 AM

I think this is the one I used on my 06 1000rr. Works great!!

Old 03-04-2007, 12:55 AM

OOPS!!!!
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...tem=MRX_FRH1_G
( I forgot to link it )

Old 03-04-2007, 05:13 PM

I'm running that relay on my 06 1krr with intergrated tail light and Hot Bodies flushmounts. works GREAT! that rapid fire blinking I was getting almost threw me into a seziure!!!!!!