1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Question for those with Taylormade 08/09

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those with Taylormade 08/09

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Taylormade slip-on exhaust for my 08 1KRR. I've watched all the you tube videos, read all the posts that I could find on here and looked at all my options. To me, it came down to the LeoVince GP Pro or the Taylormade. In the end I just think the Taylormade looks the cleanest and sounds mean. Now for the big question for those of you with this slip-on... How does it run with no PC? I've talked to several people about this that are very knowledgeable with fuel mapping and such, they all pretty much told me the same thing. As long as I'm running a stock air filter and just a slip on, the bike should still run as good as stock. I'm not looking for more power, just better sound, less weight and proper running. I read on here that some people are having engine serging issues or loss of bottom end power with some slip ons but didn't see anything about the Taylormade. Anyway... any input from you guys that are running the Taylormade would be helpfull. Also, is there anywhere that sells this slip-on for less than ful retail??

Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey74
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Taylormade slip-on exhaust for my 08 1KRR. I've watched all the you tube videos, read all the posts that I could find on here and looked at all my options. To me, it came down to the LeoVince GP Pro or the Taylormade. In the end I just think the Taylormade looks the cleanest and sounds mean. Now for the big question for those of you with this slip-on... How does it run with no PC? I've talked to several people about this that are very knowledgeable with fuel mapping and such, they all pretty much told me the same thing. As long as I'm running a stock air filter and just a slip on, the bike should still run as good as stock. I'm not looking for more power, just better sound, less weight and proper running. I read on here that some people are having engine serging issues or loss of bottom end power with some slip ons but didn't see anything about the Taylormade. Anyway... any input from you guys that are running the Taylormade would be helpfull. Also, is there anywhere that sells this slip-on for less than ful retail??
Alright here I am... I started my bike up before installing the pcIII ( I got the power up kit that included the pcIII) It was loping pretty bad and I am sure it would lose bottom end power. Unlike a lot of slipons the taylormade makes your bike run rich. The taylormade map for PCIII actually leans it out. I dont think it would damage the engine, but you would be a lot happier with either a pcIII or a juice box on it.

As far as someone that sells it cheaper I dont know of any. I got a 10% discount from my dealership on it. They became a Taylormade dealer just to sell me the pipe.... I think that they get a very small discount to begin with as a dealer but I am not sure.

Good luck! You'll be happy if you get the taylormade no doubt about it.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by rellimdekim
Alright here I am... I started my bike up before installing the pcIII ( I got the power up kit that included the pcIII) It was loping pretty bad and I am sure it would lose bottom end power. Unlike a lot of slipons the taylormade makes your bike run rich. The taylormade map for PCIII actually leans it out. I dont think it would damage the engine, but you would be a lot happier with either a pcIII or a juice box on it.

As far as someone that sells it cheaper I dont know of any. I got a 10% discount from my dealership on it. They became a Taylormade dealer just to sell me the pipe.... I think that they get a very small discount to begin with as a dealer but I am not sure.

Good luck! You'll be happy if you get the taylormade no doubt about it.

Wow! Makes it run rich?? That's strange.. the bike runs a little on the lean side from the factory. That would mean the Taylormade has more restriction of exhaust flow than stock.. Very hard for me to believe what your saying but thanks for the reply.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 PM

Here is a pdf of the map for the pipe off taylormades site. Take it for what you want but from what I see it is leaning the stock map out like mad... and I have modified this for my ignition retard controller on the map I run on my bike but I am running rich still. I really need to get a custom map done when I get a chance...

The taylormade pipe is still very much a dual chamber exhaust like the stock, just gets rid of the catalytic converter and the valves. If you have seen the way the stock pipe works with the valves it actually becomes a one chamber muffler at certain rpms. Its actually pretty intricate. I hated it because at around 5k rpm is where it opens up and get throaty. I would be just strolling around and that magic number would hit and it would open up... annoying as hell.....

Attached Files
File Type: zip
taylormade PCIII map.zip (23.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by rellimdekim; 06-04-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:27 AM

Excellent! Thanks for the great info. You've changed my mind.. No way in hell I'm spending $900+ on a slip-on that is as restrictive as stock when I can buy a full race system for the same price or less. If the Taylormade didn't require a PC and tuning I might still go with it but if I've gotta buy a PC and get a custom tune, a full system is a no brainer to me. Guess I'll start looking for a full system that I want.

I just called my local shop and I can get a full stainless Yosh system, Bazazz PC and a custom tune for $1,100. That's sounding real good considering what I almost spent on a slip-on..

Old 06-06-2009, 10:02 AM

the taylormade definitely looks better than the yosh and sounds better in my opinion, but its all up to what you are looking to get out of your bike. I dont really have a need for any more power so the stock header is good for me. Though for 1100 I would probably go with that too. I cant believe that price. I mean at best I can get the yosh system for 800 and the bazzaz I can get for 250 so that is already 1,050 bucks so they are installing all of it and tuning it for 50 bucks... thats great. where is your shop? might be worth a ride to get mine tuned.

Last edited by rellimdekim; 06-06-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by rellimdekim
the taylormade definitely looks better than the yosh and sounds better in my opinion, but its all up to what you are looking to get out of your bike. I dont really have a need for any more power so the stock header is good for me. Though for 1100 I would probably go with that too. I cant believe that price. I mean at best I can get the yosh system for 800 and the bazzaz I can get for 250 so that is already 1,050 bucks so they are installing all of it and tuning it for 50 bucks... thats great. where is your shop? might be worth a ride to get mine tuned.

I'm a long time friend of a local shop owner.. His normal custom tune price is $200-250 depending on the bike. I hope it's ok to mention mention his shop, it's Karns Performance in Camp Hill, PA.

I don't know what I'm going to buy now.. I had decided on the Taylormade and then your info and a few conversations with people I know changed my mind. Then today I'm out ripping around and I realized that I don't really need anymore power and the look, sound and weight would be the only real reasons to buy an aftermarket exhaust.. Thinking even more as I was riding made me realize that I kinda like the stock exhaust and the bike runs absolutely perfect the way it is. To start messing with the fueling and adding aftermarket computer just for a slightly better look and sound just seems like a waste to me. As of right now, I think I'm just going to leave the stock system and mapping alone and spend my money on my suspension instead. Thanks again for your help..

Old 06-08-2009, 10:20 PM

No problem man, Its definitely a hard decision to make.