1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

PCIII vs rear sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII vs rear sprocket

I want to get rid of the on-again, off-again low speed lag. At low speeds or accellerating
from a stop there is a bit of a delay. My first thought, besides asking you guys, is to add
a PCIII. I have a stock motor, exhaust. I like the tone of my exhaust, my neighbors do too.
My concern is programming the right settings, messing with the stock maps and not getting
my moneys worth and possibly creating headaches due to not the right map. So I thought
by changing out the rear sprocket it may make it feel like it fixes my problem even though
it really isn't. Am I wrong about that? '06 1000rr Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: PCIII vs rear sprocket

The PCIII is one of the best investments you will make for your bike. As soon as you install it you'll notice the on-off lag that you mentioned will be gone and the shifting becomes much smoother. Formy stock bike I ran the Dan Kyle map rather then the PC map for a stock bike. I felt the PC map was still a little rich under 4k. The DK map takes care of that. You will not regret doing this mod. Changing gearing is nice to gain more bottom end torque, but I don't thinkthat alone will get ride of the lag. The lag is a fuel issue anduntil you install the PCIIIit will always belike that.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the input. I did see the DK map available here and it's good to know it works okay.
If you search under PCIII it seems like half of your results are for problems.
How do you get the DK map on the PCIII. I assume all I need to do is download the map and use
a usb cable to the PCIII? Did you drill out your exhaust before or after you added the PCIII. Do
you think I need to do the same. Sorry so many questions. Thanks again.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Users

CBR1000, after your PC3 is installed it's very easy to upload different maps to it using a laptop and USB cable. I thinkmost of the results that you see when you search for the PC3 are just people trying to find the map that works best for there setup. Having your bikedyno tuned could cost afew bucks, butsharing other peoplesmaps costs nothing. Until your done with all of your intake and exhaust mods it's not worththecouple hundred bucks to get it tuned. Once the mods are complete then that's the finishing touch. Unless you find a map thatworks good withyour setup.
I installed the PC3 before drilling out the exhaust and it made abig difference. After drilling out the exhaust I've definitly gained some power, but it feels like it'shesitating again below 4k, after that itpulls like mad. I'll be ordering a Yosh slip-on in a couple weeks so I'mjust going to leaveit how it is for now.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:47 PM

check out www.fuelmotousa.com they will send you a powercommander with a custom map with your modifications. i paid $260 with free shipping.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the link. That's a good price. I'm still kinda up in the air on what route I'm
going to take.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:13 PM

I've read that just doing the flapper mod will help smooth some of that out a bit. Not sure if I want the extra intake noise under my chin though. Might be worth a try.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:20 PM

Decisions, decisions...... Whats the best route to go without f'n up my brand new bike. I still feel safer going with the sprocket first, but really need to get the PC to get rid of the lag. Then I might as well do both and if I'm going to do both I should throw on a quite slip-on exhaust and do the free mods while I'm at it. If I do that then I should do the PC after so it's programmed correctly. While I'm at it I could throw on some brake lines, move the resevoir, powdercoat the swing arm, get some new levers, replace the rear fender hugger, throw on some carbon fiber bits. OR I can save a couple grand and put up with it awhile longer. Let me know if that flapper mod smoothes it out for ya Bloodhound. Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:34 PM

if you are going to change pipes get the pc3
if you plan on staying with the stock pipe for a while go with a -1/+1 combo

it will make a noticable improvement in take off