CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   1000 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/1000-modifications-42/)
-   -   painting Fairings (https://cbrforum.com/forum/1000-modifications-42/painting-fairings-94196/)

954RR RH 05-25-2009 12:26 PM

painting Fairings

Hey I have been reading on how to paint farings and everything that I have read sounds diffrent. I want to know whats the correct way to paint fairings..I have a compressor and a paint gun and all I need to know is the correct steps and I should be good. The reason I dont take it to a body shop is because I would like to know and rather spend the money on something else.

2502 05-27-2009 11:35 AM

wrong. are you still trying to paint this thing? you're going to want to take a few other steps in between the description above...

954RR RH 05-28-2009 04:20 PM

I have not started because im trying to get as mush information as I can. I have notice that there is alot of people out there with diffrent steps on how to paint. I want to be able to do a nice job that will last, im not trying to skip steps and also have the paint cracking and peeling. I am in the process of buying everything that I need to get a proffesional job done. I have been searching for step by step on painting fairings and cant find a write up with pics that would make it easy to follow. Once I have everything I need to start I will post step by step and all the supplies that you would need to get good results. I have done all the work on my bike and would like to say that I have recieved good feed back from this site. Im not in no rush on painting my fairings my bike dont need a paint job but I will be doing a two tone job on it like the 954 that i had.

2502 05-29-2009 09:41 PM

if u need a step by step try you tube. but basically it's going to be an extensive process. if there's any damage to the plastics that has to be addressed correctly. but from a stock bike, you'll need to start with the following:

heat gun
wax/grease remover
tack rags
red scotch brite pads preferably, but depends what colors you want to use, etc.
laquer thinner (for cleanup)
and the list can go on from there.

first and foremost is your prep and the most important stages in the whole job. the plastics have to be cleaned of all decals and residue from any cleaners taking it off. a heat gun works, but not on too high. heat on low for a few seconds, peel back. repeat. do not over heat it can warp. that's the easiest. use your wax and grease remover to take off any leftover adhesive. more times than not, teh honda stock decals are clearcoated over when you get to the tank. you'll have to sand thru the clear to get past it, do not paint over it. feather it back. i'd start off with maybe a 400 or so to get thru the clear, then feather back, and smooth back up with a 600. any stocking jobber will have red scotch pads, which u'll use to scuff the surface. if you'er making repairs, or changing from a darker color to a lighter color, forget it, you'll need to get it sealed anyway.

lint free rags, and tack cloths are necessary. paint is not something you can rush, i'd get some old signs to paint on to practice with. metallics lay differently than solids. paint manufactures vary as well. so there's more to just consider rather than just mixing up paint in a gun and going all out. go on you tube, see what you can find on there. it's kinda hard to explain in stages without pics to show and i really don't have anything like that written up. but i assure you, i do some of the sickest stuff you've seen.

www.myspace.com/twenty502 trust me on that.

sportbikes are plastic for the most part which have proven to be both a blessing and a huge pain in the ass. never use goo gone if you can avoid it, and when you're done sanding, whether it be with a scotch scuff pad, or sandpaper, washing everything down with simple dish detergent and a good rinse is also a good way to cleanse it from any oils and contaminants. and remember, even handling it with your bare hands before painting, leaves oils behind from your skin that can also effect the end result of your paint. so it's all in prep and making sure you follow the process.

hope that started make a little sense...