CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   1000 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/1000-modifications-42/)
-   -   New Bike...too soon for mods?? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/1000-modifications-42/new-bike-too-soon-mods-150769/)

Tony Bogart 02-06-2014 05:09 PM

New Bike...too soon for mods??

Hey all,

I just bought myself a 2012 1kRR with 700 miles on it. I was wondering about changing the exhaust and whether or not it's too soon or not, this is the newest bike i've owned so I've never had to deal with the break in process or any of that jazz before...any help would be great!

RoadiJeff 02-06-2014 07:18 PM

Hi and welcome aboard. If it has 700 miles on the ODO it is already broken in.

Here is a link to the service manual if you want it.

2008-2014 CBR 1000RR Service Manual

And here's a version with search enabled. The '12 has much of the same components as the '08. A 500+ pg manual is easier to find something in it when you can use the search feature. :)

2008 CBR 1000RR Service Manual (search enabled)

Kuroshio 02-06-2014 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff (Post 1264206)
Hi and welcome aboard. If it has 700 miles on the ODO it is already broken in.

Agree. At 700 miles, it's pretty much broken in. There may be a bit of "settling down" it may do. But the majority of the engine breakin is probably done within the first 100 miles if you take in account the factory and PDI run ins.

The suspension is not fully broken in however. You can set the sag but I'd expect to do it again at about 2k miles.

Tony Bogart 02-11-2014 09:34 AM

So it is ok to go ahead and put and exhaust and PCIII on it then, and if so should I get a full exhaust or slip on??

Kuroshio 02-11-2014 08:20 PM

Slip on do little more than make noise. What's your purpose behind all this?

Tony Bogart 02-17-2014 01:15 PM

I just want a good sound, I don't like the sound of it stock, and I have the money now so I wasn't sure if I should buy the PC3 and a full exhaust or just get a slip on for it. who makes a good sounding slip on??

Kuroshio 02-17-2014 02:14 PM

On sound, you'll have to ask someone else. My bikes have always sounded fine to me as stock. Slip on doesn't affect anything enough to require engine management imo. If you go full exhaust, then yes.

Raoufhakam 02-18-2014 07:51 AM

I would suggest keeping it all stock for a year or two at least to "enjoy it" the way it is now, cause once you start modding, it wont stop: slip-on, PC, fender eliminator, windscreen, flush mounts, integrated tail, undertail, seat cowl, adjustable levers, k&n filter, mirrors, steering damper, brake lines, ....etc. (It wont end)
And once u put wnough mods on it and get bored of all that, you'll think i wonder if it would have been better to keep it all stock?

PossibleOne 02-18-2014 04:18 PM

Co-sign that guy ^ for sure.

Check out youtube for muffler sounds on the 1krr, the 600rr I know has tons of vids with diff pipes and etc. The muffler on the 1k is pretty damn short as is, so its already has a nice throaty sound but what do you not like about the sound now? Too loud?

Theres a good bit of companies out there, most common I would say is 2bros. Yoshi, DnD, Micron, Danmoto etc, in no particular order...plenty of others.

Tony Bogart 02-19-2014 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Raoufhakam (Post 1264993)
I would suggest keeping it all stock for a year or two at least to "enjoy it" the way it is now, cause once you start modding, it wont stop: slip-on, PC, fender eliminator, windscreen, flush mounts, integrated tail, undertail, seat cowl, adjustable levers, k&n filter, mirrors, steering damper, brake lines, ....etc. (It wont end)
And once u put wnough mods on it and get bored of all that, you'll think i wonder if it would have been better to keep it all stock?

I guess I can't judge the sound yet, I have only been able to sit on it in my garage and rev it up a bit, I haven't had the pleasure of taking it out yet. I really hate the stock look of the muffler though.

With the fender eliminator, does it come as a kit with the signal lights and everything, that is the only other part of the bike I don't like and want to change before summer.