CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   1000 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/1000-modifications-42/)
-   -   lowering my 06 1000rr (https://cbrforum.com/forum/1000-modifications-42/lowering-my-06-1000rr-107055/)

spdg7_vic 03-11-2010 03:43 PM

lowering my 06 1000rr

I want to lower my 06 1000rr so I dont have to tip toe.
has anyone done it before that can tell me how? :icon_bike:

Stephens 03-11-2010 11:55 PM

I can tell you all the reasons why you shouldn't.

1. Changes the handling and cornering.

2. You have to get a modified kickstand, or your bike will fall over.

3. If you lean too hard or ride wheelies, you will scrape your exhaust on hard leans and when you come down from a wheelie.

Those are a couple of reasons why not to. I lowered my 600 and then raised it back up to stock. I am 5'4" and have a 29" inseam and what I do at a stop light is put one foot flat on the ground and the other foot on the peg. Ironically these bikes are designed for people with long legs and short torsos. I have a friend who is 6' and his back is always hurting from longer rides. As long as you can hold the bike up at a stop light, you really don't need to lower your bike. Most stop lights don't last more than 3 minutes anyways. And the lowering link is about 80 bucks.

But if you want to do it, you have to put the bike on a bike stand, take off your fairings, and then take the stock link and replace it with the new one. Just take out the bolts and put them back in.

You might also look at a gel seat.

Here is a link of how to do it.
http://www.itrocks.com/motorcycles/gel_seat.htm

If you lower the back you should also lower the front too. You could wear Doc Martens and that will give you and extra inch there too.

spdg7_vic 03-12-2010 08:02 AM

lowering my 06 1000rr

Hey Stephens thnx for the advice

bobjoezx 03-12-2010 06:15 PM

if you get lowering links, lower it a inch.. you wont have to modify your kickstand.. you wont scrape on anything in the turns.. doubt your leaning that hard, and also it will change your handeling a little but nothing you can't ride the bike.. alot of people lower their bike.. but maybe before that try turning your rear shock down a bit, or combine shock and lowering link

spdg7_vic 03-13-2010 03:31 PM

Yea!! man I like Your advice., Yea all I want Is Not to have to tip-toe when parking trying to roll my bike back. I really don't go too wild so I should be OK. Thanx A lot Bro.

Hardworkin 03-22-2010 07:41 PM

I just lowered my '06 1K 2 weeks ago. I dropped it 1 inch in the rear using a lowering link. This is a 2 (or better 3) man job. Be prepared for the rear fender to drop and rest on the rear wheel when things get unbolted. I also lowered the front forks 1 1/4 inches as suggested in a different post. Mine did not want to go down until I talked to it a bit and finally 'Boom', they both dropped fast. I read to do one at a time but I couldn't get them to budge and I made the mistake of unbolting both sides. ONLY DO ONE AT A TIME. I had bought another kickstand from ebay to get shortened but with only a 1 inch drop, the factory stand works just fine. When riding I have had no trouble with leans or overall handling. I wouldn't soften up the rear shock/spring. That doesn't give you much drop and it really did a job on my license plate when I was hauling someone. I know there are a bunch of people that tell you not to lower the bike, but with just an inch of drop, it defintely helped me with my confidence when coming up to a light. But... I would not go more than 1 inch.. Ok.. go ahead.. bash away!

justasquid 03-24-2010 07:29 AM

Mine did not want to go down until I talked to it a bit and finally 'Boom', they both dropped fast.
There are factory snap rings on the outside of the fork tubes that locate the stock fork positions height. Im guessing you either broke them, or they popped out of the groove in the fork and slid down the fork tube.

An inch shouldnt matter too much for street riding, as long as you don't get aggressive. The handling will be different, so make sure your give yourself some time riding it easy until you know how its going to react. Just know it won't handle as well for aggressive riding. The real problem is you won't know until its too late. Depeding on what you do, it will offset the amount of grip your tires have. You could end up with a very squirly bike, or one that just drops the front tire out from under it.

Think of it this way, 1mm adjustment in racing is a huge difference in handling.... just think what an entire inch does to the ballance of the bike.

spdg7_vic 03-25-2010 02:54 AM

Hey thnx everyone for your input. I finaly got the lowering links and got the bike down an inch; I wish I would have got the part where Hardworkin tells me about the bike dropping on the rear wheel,( I guess those frame sliders paid for them selves right there) yeap I did drop the bike but no damage was done to it. I also adjusted the rear and front shocks, now I can touch the floor without having to tip toe as much. hey once again thanx alot

Hudson 12-05-2010 06:37 PM

Not knowing much about this but in the uk there is a company (near me actually) called KAIS suspension, they offer a lowering kit but it's not the uk version of $80, its about £250, but it's also not a lowering kit, they cut down the side stand, and as i understand drop the whole bike so the handling is the same as stock.... but for short people, they also then set up the suspension correctly. I have heard very good reports from others who have had there suspension set up for racing, so may give them a go when i get my RR6 (See other post), I too would not mind an inch lower on the bike just for that added confidence when commuting to work in all weathers.