1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Jardine RT-1 Dual Outlet = POOR QUALITY

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jardine RT-1 Dual Outlet = POOR QUALITY

All, Please let me know what you think to the following...

I read some reviews about the RT-1 and saw that there were some questions over the routing of the mid-pipe (it touches / almost touches the right passenger foot peg which holds the rear break reservoir). The owner sent his pipe back and got a new one.

So I went ahead and bought the full carbon version for my '06 CBR 1000 RR.

After a day of work (including trips to the hardware store to get a longer clamp bolt, spacers etc) I found I had the same routing issue. The contact at Jardine Head Office laughed and said it was normal and that they supplied the above patron with his same mid-pipe and it is a "joke" around the factory. Very funny. Still want to deal with these guys?

I asked myself - 'so if the rear break reservoir gets so hot it melts and explodes hydraulic fluid over the rear of my bike during a track-day will "the guy at the factory said it was ok" work for my insurance claim?'

You won't care about the rest of this post if you race your bike and don't need road-legal lights.

I then find that the fender eliminator kit (c. 100 USD) won't actually fit over the canister. That is, if you secure the bracket on one side, it will not fit up to the opposite sides fitments because it hits the canister underneath (there is not enough clearance). Jardine sent me a new clamp and fender kit. Both identical to the first ones. This issue is compounded as the kit is almost a whole inch too narrow. If it was not too shallow, it could be stretched to fit.

Jardine could still not work it out. There was even a suggestion that my bike may have been imported, modified or in a crash. I made up a document with photos and a walk-through of what I had done (c. 30 photos - including VIN!).

We sent and re-sent parts back coast-to-coast. It cost us all quite a bit of time and money (thank goodness it was winter). I sent more photos and got silence from Jardine.

I only ever saw one photo of an Rt-1 Dual Outlet with the Jardine fender kit on the internet - I have not seen it with no rear fairing on it so I can figure out how they did it.

Jarine seem to be generally nice people. They just don't make a solution that works.

After months of back and forth, I have my own solution. Speed Tactics make a plate holder which binds directly to the canister. You'll have to engineer / locate your own signal mounts.

Cons
- Mid-pipe routing
- Fender kit not compatible
- Canister not completely straight in the bike

Old 03-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Default RE: Jardine RT-1 Dual Outlet = POOR QUALITY

Yosh is for Zuks. Great write up dude but come one you messed it all up recommending the Yosh lol

Old 03-19-2008, 02:34 PM

Youare right!! However, I've just seen so many CBRs with Yosh that it must be at leastgood fit...? I guess my assumption would be that the bigger the manufacturer, the more chance of getting something that actually works.

I was justsuprised at what you don't getfor 500 USD (400 for the can and 100 for the fender kit).

On second thoughts, I have a Two Bros on my other bike and it is perfetto

Old 03-19-2008, 02:42 PM

yea i had a yosh on my 600rr, just because I bought it used and thats what came on it, but the yosh sounded like a sup'd up weed whacker to me. So when I got my 1000rr I stayed away from yosh. Sounds good on Zuks thou!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 PM

I installed the same pipe on the same bike as yours (06 1k) last week and have had no problems. I only had to have my son help with install of the clamp bolt. He held the pliers as I fastened the nut. Otherwise it really is a 1 man job until that point. Mid pipe has no problem with clearance. I read on a site that Jardine seems to have the clearance problem solved since 05. I am still getting used to the loudness over stock. I might switch to an Akro if I don't get used to it.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:30 PM

I had trouble with the clamp too, but I went the easy way out and just got a longer bolt

Old 03-19-2008, 09:11 PM

So.... people seem to have one or more of the following issues:

a)the clamp bolt. It was only a minor thing for me (I didn't even mention it to Jardine).
b)the routing.Was ok -I can easily live with it, but it is strange that Jardine kind of accept it and don't change it... but not everyone his this issue. Question of quality?
c)the fender kit not fitting. This means I can't ride my bike legally with only Jardine parts. In the end, that's ok too as I can figure it out... I failed to mention that many other kits for the CBR 1000 RR don't work either as they too are to shallow. Has anyone tried the fender kit?

It's Jardine's inability to accept a), b) AND c) that gets me. Who knows, I may fall in love with the pipe (that is, just the carbon bit at the end!!!)this summer... - but I'd still never recommend it to anyone.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:10 AM

Hey, well its funny i saw this post just now, because just this morning, i installed the carbon fiber version of the RT-1 on my 06 1000RR... i had some of the same issues you did. i didnt have any trouble with the clamp itself, so im not sure what you are talkin about in regards to that... but the CLEARENCE thing.. WOW was that a pain in the ***... i know it doesnt seem possible but you CAN get everything installed without getting the pipe bent more. after trying unbolting and re arranging things 6 times i finally got it with about 1/2" of clearence between that space you are talking about... THIS WAS THE KEY FOR ME...

As you bolt the muffler to the bottom of the frame with the supplied alluminum strap and rubber thingy... try to put the bolt and spacer through the LEFT side first... for some reason i guess because of how the strap bends when i tried it that way, BAM, all the clearence i needed and the muffler was perfectly centered... 5 times before going the other way from right to left, the pipe was hard pressed to the black steel piece behind the rear peg..i needed to use channel locks to squeeze that damn strap into place tho... it was hard to hold and align at the same time..

The only other complaint i have with the kit is the poorly updated instructions... the directions state on top they are for an 04-07 1000RR... and the directions that came with the kit were obviously for a previous model... what i am referring to is the exhaust valve servo and lines location.. i dont know if it is commom knowledge that from 05 to 06 they moved it from above the front sprocket to behind the battery, but I SURE AS HELL DIDNT KNOW... I SPENTAN HOURtrying to find the damn servo that they pictured that just wasnt there.. i thought i was crazy... then took me about 45 minutes of forum jumping to find a post about it and i figured it out... but anyway those were kinda minor issues...

overall i think the exhaust is def worth the 350 i paid for it... i LOVE the sound... and i installed it with the power commander 3 and the map designed for it, also did the flapper mod... my baby screams now i love it... im satisfied...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Did you get the carbon fiber one for $350? If so where did you get it im very interested.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:16 AM

Did you get the carbon fiber one for $350? If so where did you get it im very interested.
EBAY

Quick Reply: Jardine RT-1 Dual Outlet = POOR QUALITY