1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

G-Craft rear reservoir...help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-Craft rear reservoir...help

I installed G-Craft rear reservoir directly to the master cylinder along with new stainless lines and everything was perfect. Shortly after the install the brakes stopped working so the lines were bled and everything worked great again for about 800 miles then..poof..no breaks again. Few more details of my set up…………Added aftermarket exhaust and did not install the heat shield for the mid-pipe, but did wrap it. I suspect this to be a heat related issue that the aluminum reservoir is absorbing too much heat.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:41 PM

I doubt it would get that hot and even if it did get hot I think you would still have brakes, might be mushy, but you should still have them. How does it feel after a ride? is it hot? And how is the fluid level when you checked? Dont know what else to say other than hows your brake pad?
Tell ya what, when I put my lines on recently, I had a hell of a time bleeding them suckers for whatever reason. I finally got fed up with it and got real aggressive with the lever, I couldn't believe all the air bubbles that were trapped in there, they just kept coming! the faster I went, the more came out. I thought I had a leak somewheres but everything was as tight as could be. If everything looks good, try bleeding again and press the lever down firmly and fast! Betcha that's your problem now that I think back since you just change out the lines. You wouldn't think so with such a short line, but you'll be surprized. try it.
But you might be right, it may be getting a little hot too.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:13 PM

No, it does not really that hot after a ride. I double-checked it just the other day and could actually touch the reservoir and mid-pipe just after shutting the engine off. I was surprised because it “seemed” hotter than it actually was. Anyway, everything is tight and I will try to bleed again and see what happens.

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:20 PM

Yeah let me know how you make out. I'm actually thinking about getting 1 of those cause I can't stand the sight of the stock reservoir. How much was it anyways? I came up with like 173 bucks but don't know the shipping yet cause I haven't ordered.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:48 AM

Don't recall exact price but 150.00 sounds close to what I paid. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:09 AM

i had the exact same piece on my 06. never had a real issue with it except this.....when i would ride wheelies it would get a bubble or two in the line that would leave me without brakes. i had to bleed after every few times i rode then one time i was able to fill it so that there was NO air at all in the master cylinder and never had another issue with it, ever.

it is a great piece, just needs to be installed properly.
also, check to make sure it does not rub your swingarm. if it does then you will need to install a washer or two as shims to pull the rearset out away from the frame a millimeter or two. simple to do.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:19 PM

Ok, I’ve bled the brakes once more myself and even took into a shop and had it done. Even with the last trip to the shop 100 miles later the brakes went soft and are almost gone. WTF?

Guess I will put the stock reservoir back on and see if it happens again. If so, then it has to be master cylinder. I doubt it but have to start eliminating possible causes.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:59 AM

my issue was due to wheelies. if thats not whats causing yours then good luck.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:59 PM

Update................

Well after having to bleed the brakes almost every damn time I rode I decided to install the stock reservoir. It looks ugly but rode 3 times the miles typically required to loose the back brake with the G-Craft installed and the brakes are working perfectly.

I’m at a complete loss! The only change was the resevoir.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:22 AM

Wanna sell it? I might take it off your hands and put some money back in your pocket.

Quick Reply: G-Craft rear reservoir...help