CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   1000 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/1000-modifications-42/)
-   -   07 cbr1000rr Trip from PA to Canada! Need some advice (https://cbrforum.com/forum/1000-modifications-42/07-cbr1000rr-trip-pa-canada-need-some-advice-147788/)

dont under estimate 1 liter 07-01-2013 08:42 PM

07 cbr1000rr Trip from PA to Canada! Need some advice

Hey everyone,
I am getting ready to head out on my first big trip on my bike. I have only taken two hour trips tops so I am very interested to see how bad I am going to hurt after this trip hah.

I have a few questions but first I'll tell you what I have done to prep my bike thus far.

Changed engine oil/filter
New front/rear brake fluid
New Clutch fluid
Corbin seat
Zero gravity double bubble wind screen
Cortech tank bag & tail bag
My buddy is letting me borrow saddle bags
I am back and forth with Throttle Meister cruise control bar ends....Let me know if you have them and what you think.

So that is what I have done thus far w/ the biking having 9,000 miles. So if anyone has any other advise please feel free.

Here are my two questions:

1.)I am 150lbs rider. Should I adjust suspension for the added lugged weight? If yes, what should I change?

2.) I am pressed for time I leave July 13th 2013 and my front end is a little tweaked. I can not get a torque wrench to the bottom triple clamp bolts with out tanking apart whole front end. I do not have time to do this so does anyone have an other ways of getting the bottom triple clamp bolts loose/tightened with out taking the whole front end apart?

Again any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated. This is my first motorcycle and the 9k miles on the cbr is all I have for rode experience. I have ridden dirt bikes since I was 7 but thats just a little info on me.

Thank you

kilgoretrout 07-01-2013 09:12 PM

Do you have a passport? :D

It looks like you've got the right idea, but I'd be going over my chain really well. Make sure it's in good shape, clean, lubed, and adjusted correctly.
I wouldn't be too worried about the suspension, but the "tweaked" forks need fixed. How did they get that way? You mean they got twisted in the triples?

Also, PA to Canada can be 100miles or 500miles depending on where you are. ;)

RoadiJeff 07-02-2013 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by dont under estimate 1 liter (Post 1239958)
I am back and forth with Throttle Meister cruise control bar ends....Let me know if you have them and what you think.

I have a Throttlemeister on my 08 1000RR. I don't do a whole lot of really long rides but it's nice that it's there for when my wrist gets tired. I like how it blends in and it looks just like a regular bar end.

On the trip, I don't know how far you're riding. I did an 1,100 mile ride on mine one day a couple of years ago. That was before the Throttlemeister and tank bag. A tank bag is nice to sometimes rest on as you ride along.

dont under estimate 1 liter 07-02-2013 07:30 AM

Kilgoretrout: Yes, I have passport and Canadian insurance card. Forgot to mention that and also forgot to mention I cleaned/inspected/tightened/ and lubed my chain. My right side handle bar is slightly further back then my left side bar. The bike tracks straight but when I put my bars at what appears to be straight when bike is not moving the wheel is not straight. I assume this is from just coming down not straight out of a wheelie (which I do not do on roads where someone can just pull out in front of me) or when I take my bike down gravel bumpy roads.
I am right outside Philadelphia the total trip mileage is going to be somewhere around 3,500 miles.

RoadiJeff: I think I am going to give them a try...better safe than sorry hah. I will keep you posted on how they work out.

kilgoretrout 07-02-2013 10:38 PM

If the triple is straight and the wheel is still off, then yes... it's probably the forks tweaked. But it could just be the right side bar/clip-on that slipped back a bit?

dont under estimate 1 liter 07-03-2013 04:30 PM

Kilgoretrout: good call I always forget those bars move. I will give that a shot and see how it goes.

Be nice if they made bigger gas tanks for these bikes.

November 09-06-2013 09:43 PM

Hey how did the trip go & were your forks ok?

dont under estimate 1 liter 09-09-2013 07:47 AM

November : trip was awesome saw a lot of mountain sides and even did a little off roading with the bikes to get to this really amazing mountain side view. All I can say is its a good thing I dirt bike hah. The forks were ok I tried tweaking them before I left. It is a pain in the butt to even get a wrench down there to loosen the fork legs up let al one to torque them back down. I need to pull the front end apart because it always seems to get knocked off very easily. Doesn't make any sense to me why.