Track Techniques Smooth and fast around the track. Share your track knowledge with the masses.

Trackday Prep list

Old 03-07-2010, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackday Prep list

I know there are alot of prepping guides on the internet but I figured this site could use one, I didnt see a thread anywhere and thought it might be usefull to some new guys. Add to the list as you see fit!!

Leathers! Full 1 piece or 2 piece. Check the organization you are going to be riding with they maybe have slightly used leathers very cheap!

Helmet, leather gloves, leather boots. Buy the best you can afford.

Back/Chest protector. When you crash you want to be able to get back on your bike the next weekend and not be laying in the hospital.

Check everything on your bike.
Brake lines.
Coolant Lines.
Oil Lines.
Gas lines.
Brake pads.
Levers.
Bodywork mounts.
Footpeg mouting.
Exhaust mounts. ( More exhaust go flying off bikes than you would think )

Dont worry or be too nervous. You wont be the slowest guy out there and you will absolutly not be the fastest. Most importantly have fun.

Trackday Orgs.
http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_0...ons/index.html\

Riders Manual for NESBA a lot of good info here
http://www.nesba.com/Info/Downloads/manual.pdf

Last edited by geckert; 03-07-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:54 AM

Good information! Thanks!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:06 PM

I'd like to get out to a track, Wisconsin is home to Road America and there's another track in northern Illinois close by. I was paging through some of the prep material from NESBA and Sport Bike Track Time and I'm wondering how most of you track stars prepare.

This probably sounds ridiculous, but do you remove your mirrors and tape over your lights *before* you depart for the track or do you arrive early and take care of business when you get there? Do you put slicks on a few days prior or can you put those on in a jiffy before inspection? Most of the stuff like wiring oil plugs and flushing out coolant/refill with H2O it seems like you could do a day or two before, but I'm curious about the smaller details.

Some of the material advised bringing a lunch and extra gasoline. Fine, but are you guys/gals towing your bikes or riding them to the event? Again, forgive my ignorance on this. I stopped in by a dealership today looking for new apparel and a clutch cable, along with information on track set ups. I didn't get the warmest welcome so I'm taking my business (and quest for advice) elsewhere. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

-Dave

Old 06-23-2010, 08:48 PM

I'm an instructor at a trackday org down here in Texas. Here's an edited version of what I put on a local site, taking out the specific stuff that relates to RideSmart. Note that Bike Prep is organization specific, some may require safety wire, some may require water replacement, etc.:

Hopefully this will help folks on their first trackday. Trackday veterans, feel free to post additional tips you've gotten over the years!

Once you've decided to do a trackday, there's a lot to think about and get ready. Signing up, bike prep, prepping yourself, getting there, registration and tech, classroom, and what you've been waiting for, getting on the track.

1. Signing Up. Lots of people wait until the last minute to sign up, only to discover that the event is full. Try to sign up no less than a week out from the event date. Check weather.com or a similar weather forecast service for weather information and check the 10 day forecast. Most trackdays will hold the event rain or shine, but the wet isn't near as much fun.

If you've never been to a trackday, sign up for Level 1 (also called Beginner, Novice, First-Timer, "C" group, street group, etc) EVEN IF YOU ARE AN EXPERIENCED STREET RIDER. The track is vastly different from the street.

2. Bike Prep. For a new rider at the track, there probably isn't a huge amount of prep, but get it done early (couple of days). If you find you need something, midnight the night before the event is not the time to get it done. Check the provider to see if you have to safety wire or not. Most trackday orgs do not require Novice/Beginner riders to fully safety wire, but check to be sure. Some may only require oil plugs, some lots. Check!!
CHECK WITH YOUR SPECIFIC PROVIDER FOR DETAILS ABOUT EQUIPMENT. THIS IS A GENERAL GUIDELINE ONLY!!!
Tires: Your tires may be either race or street compound and in good condition with plenty of tread. Your tires must not be unevenly worn or show signs of damage or repair. If there is any doubt in the condition of your tires, replace them. Replacing your tires far outweighs the cost of damage to yourself, another rider or your motorcycle.
Levers, Brakes: You need bar ends, ***** on the end of front brake and clutch levers. Shifter and rear brake lever secure. Foot pegs secure. Kickstand is probably OK. Brake pads should not be overly worn. Like to see at least 50% pads on front.
Lights, Body: Buy a bunch of blue painter's tape. Remove or tape over turn signals, remove or tape over head light, remove or tape over tail/brake light, remove or tape over License Plate. Your lights, if left on the motorcycle, must be fully taped so that no lens is uncovered. There must not be any light showing from your tail/brake light, you may also pull the brake light fuse. After taping your headlight light may still show through, this is OK but you may also want to pull the fuse or bulb(s) as heat from the headlight will make the tape and its adhesive harder to remove. Body panels must be secure, seat must be securely mounted.
Coolant, Fluids: No leaking of ANY fluids. Oil, coolant, brake reservoir, fuel caps or covers must be OEM or equal in quality and functionality and must form a proper seal. Some require water only, check to be sure!
Drive Train/Engine: Throttle must be self-returning, chain must be properly adjusted. Engine kill switch functional.

3. Rider Prep. Make sure your head is in the game...and is protected!
Helmet: First and foremost, your helmet must be a motorcycle helmet and be Snell approved (or European equivalent). Your helmet must also be a full-face helmet. Flip-up face helmets may be allowed but must meet Snell standards. You will probably need to take your helmet with you to tech inspection. Straps are not torn, frayed or modified, properly installed Quick-release buckles are acceptable but must not inadvertently come undone, no obvious signs of damage, no signs of modification (cuts, holes, paint and adhesives) and a properly fitted shield.
Protective Suit: More commonly called leather’s, a suit can be of 1 or 2 piece construction. Most orgs allow leather or Cordura. The suit must be designed for motorcycle use. 2 piece suits may not be allowed, check.
Boots: You must wear boots that cover at least 3” inches above your ankles and they must be of leather construction. You are not required to wear boots designed specifically for motorcycling, but it is strongly recommended! Boots must have adequate lace, buckle, Velcro or strap closures and should not be torn or extremely worn.
Gloves: must be full fingered and either leather, or non-leather motorcycling gloves. They must cover 1” past your wrist and have a functioning closure. Gloves must not be torn or extremely worn. They must completely cover your hands and not have holes (other than manufactured vent holes).

Don't forget to bring undergarments, socks, etc. that will make your suit more comfortable. Wicking socks and undergarments (like UnderArmor longsleeve shirts and shorts) make it easier to get in and out of leathers. Socks designed to absorb sweat help out on those hot summer days. A track undersuit works great.

Make a small "track bag" with personal items, too. Sunglasses, Sunscreen, ballcap, chapstick, tylenol, prescription meds you might need, etc. I also highly recommend ear protection!!

4. Getting There. You can ride your bike to the event and have someone follow in a car with the rest of your gear, but bringing your bike in a pickup or trailer is much easier. Prep the bike, get it all ready, load it up and it's ready to go. Make a checklist so you don't forget anything.
What to Bring: Ramp (if needed), ignition key (and an extra - bad to get there and have no key!!!), a little cash, basic tools (sockets, wrenches, screw drivers), stands (if you have a kickstand, you're OK without 'em), extra blue painter's tape, zip ties, at least a quart of oil, folding chairs, consider an EZ Up (depends on the track - many do not have any cover. Don't forget ballast or weights for it as stakes don't work well on concrete), paper towels, shop towels, plastic cleaner (for your helmet shield), extra fuel (5 gallons), drinking water, more drinking water, even more drinking water (it might be provided, but you want it always available), snacks. At some tracks, lunch is provided. Get to bed early the night before. You want to arrive at the trackday event early - check when the gates open and try to be there close to that time. For events that are far away, I will camp out at the track (if allowed) or get a motel closeby. The camping out is fun.

These events are always more fun with a buddy. If you don't have someone going with you as a rider, just having someone to help unload, load, etc. makes the day more fun. Spectators are generally free. If you need some help at an event, just ask. Someone will always be glad to help.

5. Registration and Tech. Once you arrive, go straight to registration. You'll probably get some kind of sticker; put it on the bike where appropriate. Get your bike and go to tech, don't forget your helmet. Tech will indicate you've been through. The Track Marshal must be able to see all your stickers to allow you on the track. If you have any tech issues, you'll have to fix them and return to tech for a reinspection.

Now, go set up the rest of your paddock area, socialize, and meet new people until it's time for the Rider's Meeting or Track Drive. At some tracks, they may take a group around the track in pickups and discuss each corner and parts of the track that are of special interest - the Track Drive. Immediately following will be the Rider's Meeting, which is MANDATORY. Some folks will get into their riding gear before the Rider's Meeting, others after. How fast can you dress yourself?

6. Classroom. Some orgs require that you attend classroom sessions, where you will learn track protocols, flags, safety concerns, and of course, riding skills. You'll go to the classroom immediately after the Rider's Meeting and after each on-track session throughout the day.

7. The Track. Finally! What we've been waiting for! Your instructors will explain everything and feel free to ask questions. And most importantly, have a blast!!

Last edited by randyjoy; 06-23-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by megadave5000
This probably sounds ridiculous, but do you remove your mirrors and tape over your lights *before* you depart for the track or do you arrive early and take care of business when you get there? Do you put slicks on a few days prior or can you put those on in a jiffy before inspection? Most of the stuff like wiring oil plugs and flushing out coolant/refill with H2O it seems like you could do a day or two before, but I'm curious about the smaller details.

Some of the material advised bringing a lunch and extra gasoline. Fine, but are you guys/gals towing your bikes or riding them to the event? Again, forgive my ignorance on this. I stopped in by a dealership today looking for new apparel and a clutch cable, along with information on track set ups. I didn't get the warmest welcome so I'm taking my business (and quest for advice) elsewhere. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

-Dave
For your specific questions: When I took my street bike to trackdays, I would ALWAYS start getting it completely ready at least 48 hours prior, and trailer it in. That way, any issues that cropped up I could fix, and 7 in the morning day of the event is no time to discover you forgot something or don't have a part you need. Make a list and use it!

I don't user slicks, use DOT Race tires. For Beginners, you should be fine with one of the "Big 5" Performance tires.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by randyjoy
For your specific questions: When I took my street bike to trackdays, I would ALWAYS start getting it completely ready at least 48 hours prior, and trailer it in. That way, any issues that cropped up I could fix, and 7 in the morning day of the event is no time to discover you forgot something or don't have a part you need. Make a list and use it!

I don't user slicks, use DOT Race tires. For Beginners, you should be fine with one of the "Big 5" Performance tires.
Randy, thanks for all the helpful information!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 PM

sorry for bringing this back. but i used the search button, just wondering if its common for people to use their everyday bike or go out and buy a strictly track bike. also, only leathers are acceptable?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by itsme71190
sorry for bringing this back. but i used the search button, just wondering if its common for people to use their everyday bike or go out and buy a strictly track bike. also, only leathers are acceptable?
With the trackday org I'm with, there are three levels. The Level 1 (Beginners or Novice) folks, almost all of them use their street bike. Level 2 (Intermediate), I'd say maybe 50% use their street bike and 50% use a track bike. Level 3 (Advanced), about 90% use a track or race bike.

We allow Cordura track suits if the pants and jacket zip together for Level 1. Check with your trackday provider, though.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by itsme71190
If you are new, take your street bike and have fun. Once you start getting fast and pushing your limits, you will want a track bike. Preferably a beater that you aren't going to be sad wrecking.