Track Techniques Smooth and fast around the track. Share your track knowledge with the masses.

how to build up lean confidence.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to build up lean confidence.

i learned to " knee drag" by riding in a circle until i built up enough confidence to get my bike at the right angle and figure out what speed i needed. i'm trying to help a teach a friend but he's having trouble.any other ways to learn or advice i could say?

Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Straight answer? YOU don't.

Judging by some of the threads and posts I've seen from you, I would say you're not suited to teach someone something so potentially hazardous. You seem to lack patience and may inadvertently push him past his skill limits. People trying to learn something from another person have acknowledged that person's greater skill / knowledge. Therefore may attempt something they are not ready for at the person's suggestion.

2nd, this situation sounds like a mental block. Mental blocks are overcome by the rider. They have to become comfortable at their own pace, through practice and experience, until they realize they CAN do it. All an instructor can really do at this point is observe and provide constructive criticism of his techniques.

This really sounds like a bad idea. Dragging a knee should NEVER be a goal. It is a result of good technique. It should only occur when the physics of the turn require it. Which on city streets is almost NEVER. Knee dragging is best learned and practiced on a track. And if the rider needs help learning the skills involved when a knee does touch (body position, line selection, throttle / torque management, ect), it should be from a qualified instructor.

Sorry, but that's my honest opinion

The following users liked this post:
Phatdad (03-29-2021)
Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Straight answer? YOU don't.

Judging by some of the threads and posts I've seen from you, I would say you're not suited to teach someone something so potentially hazardous. You seem to lack patience and may inadvertently push him past his skill limits. People trying to learn something from another person have acknowledged that person's greater skill / knowledge. Therefore may attempt something they are not ready for at the person's suggestion.

2nd, this situation sounds like a mental block. Mental blocks are overcome by the rider. They have to become comfortable at their own pace, through practice and experience, until they realize they CAN do it. All an instructor can really do at this point is observe and provide constructive criticism of his techniques.

This really sounds like a bad idea. Dragging a knee should NEVER be a goal. It is a result of good technique. It should only occur when the physics of the turn require it. Which on city streets is almost NEVER. Knee dragging is best learned and practiced on a track. And if the rider needs help learning the skills involved when a knee does touch (body position, line selection, throttle / torque management, ect), it should be from a qualified instructor.

Sorry, but that's my honest opinion

no no i agree completely! i'm very underskilled and the way i learn isn't for everyone! i'm not qualified. and i push myself much harder then i should. we just have a very limited circle or riders and friends with bikes ( 3 total) so untill it's summer time and we can meet more people. they're stuck with me haha. my expertise is electrical issues. i can fix anything electrical soo once again i was seeking expert advice on something i don't have much of a clue about

that's one quality i like about you is that you don't bullshi& me and give your honest opinion haha. keep it up. won't hurt my feelings. i try to contribute what i can around here. if it's completely irrelevant feel free to call me out haha. i feel like criticism is the best way to learn and adjust.

Last edited by 74demon; 03-19-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: merge posts
Old 03-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When it comes to safety, I don't bull because I've been there and done the stupid. My shoulder angel is tired of flapping her wings trying to keep me in 1 piece

Misti and others on here would be great sources of info on advanced topics. But most would balk at giving advice secondhand and without being able to see the rider to help. Circles in parking lots is a good way to practice cornering if a track isn't available. But I'd only recommend that when backed by excellent reading material (like Twist of the Wrist 1 & 2 by Keith Code and Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch) and a dedicated student. One that will read and practice all the material. But I'd still caution about lot practice:

Sometimes they're not as "clean" as they seem

Old 03-20-2013, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by cam and corona
i learned to " knee drag" by riding in a circle until i built up enough confidence to get my bike at the right angle and figure out what speed i needed. i'm trying to help a teach a friend but he's having trouble.any other ways to learn or advice i could say?
Besides looking cool, what does "Knee dragging" actually do for the bike? You and your friends need to figure that out first before you set out to just drag a knee. As Kuroshio says, knee dragging shouldn't be a goal in itself, it is a product of good riding technique.

Your friends may be "stuck" with you as their instructor as you say but I'd caution you against teaching them something without having a sound base of WHY and HOW.

If you want to teach your friends about lean angle and confidence you should be teaching them about proper body position, quick turning the bike, visual skills, counter-steering and all the other proper techniques that go together to produce safe lean angles and potentially knee dragging.

Misti

Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Misti
Besides looking cool, what does "Knee dragging" actually do for the bike? You and your friends need to figure that out first before you set out to just drag a knee. As Kuroshio says, knee dragging shouldn't be a goal in itself, it is a product of good riding technique.

Your friends may be "stuck" with you as their instructor as you say but I'd caution you against teaching them something without having a sound base of WHY and HOW.

If you want to teach your friends about lean angle and confidence you should be teaching them about proper body position, quick turning the bike, visual skills, counter-steering and all the other proper techniques that go together to produce safe lean angles and potentially knee dragging.

Misti
well. thanks for re wording everything that has already been said.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:06 PM

it is true u cannot teach someone how to turn there bike it just comes with experience the best option would be a track day. I myself have done a couple with jos at black hawk farms they will teach u everything you need to know about riding fast and safe and u will become really comfy with your bike.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have confidence to drag my knee on the race track as long as the tires are designed for a race track but hell no on the public highway, the important of riding is do not drop your baby.

The following users liked this post:
Phatdad (03-29-2021)