Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

PSSR Trackday in the Northwest US at ORP

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSSR Trackday in the Northwest US at ORP

There's another thread here on CBR Forum, with word and pics of Oregon Raceway Park from last fall.

Yesterday, the summer's first bike track day happened there, run by Pacific Super Sport Riders. Pacific Super Sport Riders I took my 03 F4i, it's first outing (under me) to the track. I've been working on this bike's set-up and handling, so this was it's maiden voyage.

Name:  IMAG0434_zps3f84b2bd.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  82.8 KB

I met up with my pal, who brought his two Ducattis...an '8xx sumpthin' and a 998...

Name:  IMAG0440_zps8b0a244e.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  75.7 KB

I've just come back to sportbikes after a long lay-off, though in the past I'd been a pretty decent rider with quite a few track days on diverse tracks and bikes. During my time away from bikes, I was racing sports cars all over the west, so my track skills improved, just not on the bikes. Being on a track, finding a racing line, smooth inputs to machine, dealing with traffic on track......all that I know about now. I'm enjoying re-learning how to handle a sportbike out there on the track, and dialing-in this new to me CBR 600 at the same time. Fun stuff, but lots to learn.
I had the set-up pretty nailed on the bike. After session one (I ran in the B-group) I only adjusted the rear to get rid of a little too much 'tip-in'...went down one click on the rear spring pre-load...and I bled down (-2psi) the front tire pressure from my starting point of 31psi..(Q-2s, front and rear) I'd not run ORP in the clockwise direction, so I was essentially learning a new track, taking it a bit easy as 'everything' I brought out there yesterday could be considered new, I guess.

First lap out, I rode past my pal who was picking his Duck outta the grass (ORP is in Grass Valley, Oregon) on the turn 3 entry...cold brand new front tire, still coated with mold release.... bit him. No damage, other than to his self-confidence, for a couple of sessions..
Me, I was a bit worried about holding an appropriate pace in the intermediate B-group, riding on a track configuration I'd not seen. On a bike I'd never tracked, but I think I was OK. As often seems to be the case at track days, there are a few really fast riders running in the B group, and once I figured out who they were, it was easy to let them past without drama..

Session by session, I began to 'get it' back. The bike felt great, I didn't find any limitations there, though I did encounter, for the first time on this bike, a bit of high speed head-shake as I lifted my front tire (4th gear, 3rd?) on the uphill between T5 and T6 while on the tail of my buddie's Ducatti 998, which has gobs of torque...(understatement)

When I go to a new track, my usual procedure is to take at least a couple of sessions to gain the general feel of the course, to get a rough idea of braking points and tip-in markers, etc..Then I'll start picking up my pace, working on improving my 'worst' corners...There are lots of "worst corners" I left (still) out there at ORP yesterday. At the 4:20 session I finally 'got it' that T-1, at the end of the front straight was a LOT faster than I'd been taking it all day...The "Half-pipe" complex rides completely different in the clockwise direction and I never did get that anywhere close to correct, especially braking and turn in for T-11, where I always felt late as could be, and on the ragged edge...
Lots of fun was had, however. The little 600 is really a great bike..Now all I have to do is learn to ride it better...

Last edited by Gnarly 928; 06-02-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: grammeer