Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

New rider: Basic what "NOT" to do? (s)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

23) do not drink and ride...

Old 06-20-2011, 02:51 AM

Survival reactions come from our instinct to avoid injury but often cause the opposite. Keith code lists 7 survival reactions in his book Twist of the Wrist II:

1. rolling off the gas
2. Tighten on the bars
3. Narrowed and frantically hunting field of view
4. fixed attention (on something)
5. Steering in the direction of the fixed attention
6. No steering (frozen) or ineffective (not quick enough or too early) steering
7. Braking errors (both over-and under-braking)

Old 06-20-2011, 04:28 AM

its been said, but i think it SUPER important because most people dont up and get a bike out of nowhere, they have friends or family with bikes and think ya this is cool im gonna try this.....well when your riding with said friend or family member.....ride at YOUR comfort level, not someone elses level thats been on a bike for years. i myself almost lost it a few times when i first started trying to keep up with friends, and this is what happens when you try to do what your friend does, buddy was racing an experienced friend of ours and got speed wobble after the front wheel came up when he hit second and wasnt expecting it. now i have an 09 600rr with a bent crank in my garage waiting him to save enough money to get parts.

Name:  100_0091.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  138.7 KB

Old 06-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

24) Loose shoelaces. It might seem elemental, but it's a pretty common n00b mistake. If you get a shoelace caught on the footpeg while stopping, guess what? You're not going to be able to put your foot down. You're going to drop the bike, or come real close to it (if you're lucky). It happened to me once, and although I was able to catch it in time, it was a real bad feeling. At minimum you'll end up being embarassed at a traffic light and scratching your bike up, worst case, broken ankle. If you have shoelaces, tuck them in.

25) Chain maintenance. Don't EVER clean your chain with the engine running. Don't even think about it. Some folks decide to raise the rear tire, start the engine, put it in gear, and clean the chain while idling. Bad idea! Why not you ask? It's easier that way, right? Want to see fingers cut off by a sprocket & chain, click here (NSFW).

Old 06-21-2011, 02:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually do # 25 all the time. I've seen the pics before but my hands/fingers are no way near the sprockets when I clean it that way. I use a toothbrush and clean the chain right around where the center stand is.

Anyway, if you are going to do it like that. Shut the bike off when it's time to use your rag and wipe the wet crap of your chain.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:47 AM

26) If your brakes or spongy, pads are worn or rotors are bent. Don't go riding, replace it now!

27) Always signal.

28) Don't ride on bald tires. Get them replaced before you need to.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
I actually do # 25 all the time.
I used to do it that way on my bike as well. Then over time, usually while servicing the chain this way, it would occur to me just how important my fingers are in performing my job and making a living and how much I enjoy having all my digits. They don't call them accidents for nothing. Now I just do it the safe way and spin it by hand. Even then, I still manage to get my fingers pinched in there once in a while

In any event, being as this thread is directed towards new guys, I thought it was appropriate for them to be aware of this potential risk before making such a permanent mistake.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:45 PM

#11.) Don't ride when you are pissed off! I tore out of my drive way and bolted for the canyon, was leaning the corners and really blowing off some steam. I didn't grab my helmet, I was too angry for that. I hit the straight away and rolled the throttle back. Speedo read 130 mph when my sunglasses floated up and the wind blew both of my contact lens out of my eyes. I felt so stupid that my anger completely melted away. So glad I didn't meet a drunk, a sheriff, or a deer.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 AM

My $.02
23)Don't pull the hand brake if you're slowing down and your handle bars are turned to either direction. As soon as you stop, more than likely you will fall. And the bigger they are, they harder they fall. Right?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:45 PM

29) When you're on a curved on/off ramp and stopped, always go to the outside so people coming up behind you can see you earlier. (As a don't I guess I could say don't sit in the middle or the inside of the lane)

30) Never ever assume the open road is clean.

Quick Reply: New rider: Basic what "NOT" to do? (s)