Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Lazy down shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lazy down shifting

So sometimes coming to a complete stop I hold my cluch in (without releasing) and I tap my shift leaver from 6 to 1st. .... That bad? Does anybody else use this lazy form of down shifting? Please let me know your thoughts.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 PM

Um, not something that I do all the time, typically I would only do that under say a hard stop situation where you don't have time for engine braking.

Is it good for the bike? I wouldn't say that it's going to help anything but I can't really think of any valid reasons off the top of my head not to. Like there is a possibility that doing that is hard on the clutch and/or drivetrain but nothing is really coming to me right now.

But long story short, no, I don't typically do that.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Imo it's not a good idea. As your speed drops, 6th gear will be more unusable if a situation arises. Say for example you're coming up to a light for a stop and see the car behind you isn't stopping...

Your bike would need power RIGHT NOW. And 6th gear at 15 mph would essentially be power some time next Tuesday. You always want to be in a gear appropriate for the speed you're traveling for this reason. Too tall a gear and you will lose precious time while the engine spools up. Or worse... You stall out.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 PM

No, I don't down shift like that when riding. To my mind, if the clutch is in and your engine is at idle while you drop all the way through your gears then you are not in full control of your bike. Plus, changing gear is fun.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:54 AM

If you don't do it already, try rev match downshifting....it's easier on everything.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:38 PM

All of you guys are awesome!!!!!! Thank you. Yesterday I was practicing the Rev matching technique. I'd slow down with breaks(if I was going fast) until I could do the appropriate Downshifting gears at the smooth appropriate speeds. I think you guys also call engine breaking?

Old 07-07-2013, 09:11 AM

If you haven't yet I would recommend watching Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code. It's free on youtube.

They show a technique for rev matching downshifts using the front brake simultaneously, it takes a bit to get the hang of it but when you do it's buttery smooth and sounds really cool. It's a bit like heel-toe downshifting.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

There is nothing wrong with that technique....as long as you are downshifting to a gear that you can use if you need it (which has already been addressed).

Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 PM

Thanks guys, that video was really informative

Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Frost
If you haven't yet I would recommend watching Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code. It's free on youtube.

They show a technique for rev matching downshifts using the front brake simultaneously, it takes a bit to get the hang of it but when you do it's buttery smooth and sounds really cool. It's a bit like heel-toe downshifting.
Good video and good technique.

Thanks,
Skin

Quick Reply: Lazy down shifting