Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

Conrice's 954 FIGHTER build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hamlin6
I guess it depends on what you are going for, performance or looks. There a certain badness look that only having that beefy big ole' boy on the back can create. But there are the tradeoffs that you mentioned.
The plus side of having all that extra spinning weight is if you ever run out of gas, you will coast farther down the road. :-)
And that's the thing. If I were just planning on staying local, just doing some stuff on the back roads every once in a great while - I don't think I'd care as much.

But now that I'm going to be spending weeks at a time in the mountains... I think I want it to handle correctly.

And I have to be honest, it just bothers me that it won't be 100% correct...

EDIT:

Oh, and I've got a tail on the bike. My father-in-law who bought my O/A set up off of me is brazing the mounts on the tank. I've got the fuel pump figured out. I'm finishing up the wiring and then it'll be able to run.

I also bought a Brembo master cylinder for the front brakes. All I need are rotors and I could take this thing around the block. Once I get the tank back, I'll throw up some pictures. It's coming along nicely though.

Last edited by Conrice; 09-22-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

Well maybe look at it this way, 100% correct is only applicable for what you are using it for. If you were only spending time on the mighty hills (ramps) and twisties (cloverleafs) of Florida, then you'd be pretty much set. But you have other intentions of being in the mountains where a fat tire isn't as conducive.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Well maybe look at it this way, 100% correct is only applicable for what you are using it for. If you were only spending time on the mighty hills (ramps) and twisties (cloverleafs) of Florida, then you'd be pretty much set. But you have other intentions of being in the mountains where a fat tire isn't as conducive.
That's a good way of looking at it. It puts it into perspective.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your vfr arm from the model that can accommodate a Triumph hub with a little bit of work? Maybe they all can? Not sure.

You could keep the arm but have other wheel options to eliminate that heavier car wheel and fat tire.

A Triumph hub would open up Triumph sssa wheels from 98 to at least 2010. They've all had the same offset and axle size. With a Triumph hub it just takes a spacer to run Duc wheels with that size axle. The 748 wheel works, I have one in my garage... Just need to find someone to make the spacer (Ducati wheels on a triumph? - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums) Other Duc wheels share that axle size... Not recalling which. I think the way I found which ones do was by searching for rear paddock stands. The SSSA paddock stand that fits the 748 also fits a ton of other Ducs that have the same axle size Heres a couple threads over on CF about putting Triumph hubs in VFR arms... There may even be info about a Duc eccentric, I don't have time to read them (VFR SSSA Axle/hub fit a Truimph SSSA?? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum and VFR swingarm with Triumph hub - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum)

Might be less work while dropping some of the weight from the car wheel conversion but keeping the aesthetic value

Keep up the great build. I'm enjoying it.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:12 PM

Thanks AHKS, I saw where StreetFighter converted to a Duc hub, and ran 1098 rims. I didn't know where the info for the Triumph hub swaps where, so I really appreciate you posting that.

I started thinking about it though - and it wouldn't be hard to swap back and forth between a SSSA set up and DSSA on my bike.

Just an hour or so of work once I get everything gets made. For when I'm around town and want to be a hoon - I'll keep the Car rim. When I need it to be 100% correct and light - I'll swap out a 954 swinger with a ZX14 rim.

Why not? It's not as if I could easily sell a car rim/VFR-modified for a 954 swing arm conversion on ebay. And its insane how cheap 954 swingers are right now. And a ZX14 rim isn't too bad either. I can get a rim, with cush drive, tire, and rotor for $150 and I can get a swinger that's perfect for under $50... I still have all of the axles, bushings, and spacers.

All I have to do is get the thing together (modify a 954 hub or zx14 hub to let the rim sit center, make a rotor, etc), make a set of suzzi-triangles for it so it's the same height, and then all I'll notice is that it handles a little better and accelerates a little faster going back and forth between the 2 set ups.... It'll only take about an hour to swap back and forth once it all gets done (swap out triangles, and pivot bolt carriers in the motor, and swap brake lines (<-which if I wanted to get serious about it, I could just use 2 master cylinders so it's just dropping the M/C bolts and not having to bleed)

Plus, if I convince myself that I'll have time to do it later, I can concentrate on the "now" of getting it to run - which should be real soon. I think I am sort of overreacting and overthinking it.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
I can concentrate on the "now" of getting it to run - which should be real soon.

That sounds like an epic idea btw, to keep a DSSA, completely assembled, replete with wheel, brakes, etc, for track days or real twisty riding.

Then have a hoonSSSA with a car wheel for "Florida"

Old 10-27-2014, 08:41 AM

So, the front mounts on the tank are done - You guys can finally see what the lines of the bike will be with the tail. Let me know what you think. Sorry for the mess and the crappy cell phone pics. It's rough, and it's not finished, but I'm getting closer.

Name:  image_zps436c4906.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  111.0 KB

Name:  image_zps1f78c705.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  image_zpsdf488b77.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  111.2 KB

Name:  image_zps507b7256.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  image_zpse45f5f9d.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  119.7 KB

Name:  image_zps803366dd.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  96.0 KB

There's still a lot to do, but I'm closing on my new house this week - so that's probably it until I get settled in. I have found a welder though, that is going to handle all of the things I need welded on the frame (tabs for 1krr subframe, and the holes from shaving off the mounts).

Old 10-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from the Suzuki emblem? Just kidding that is one sexy looking bike... The lines flow so well.... You are trying to sway me for my f2 huh? I love the front end, looks beefy and mean. And again the angles are amazing

Old 10-27-2014, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by gtcole
Aside from the Suzuki emblem?
Haha - yeah, that's not staying.

This is what will go on the tank though.... (the tank is going to be in the OEM titanium paint)

Name:  Honda-logo_white-black_zps4fd87d73.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  183.5 KB

Last edited by Conrice; 10-27-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Sept 2014 ROTM

Looks good! Have you decided what headlight will you use? My wifes 600cc Hornet has very minimal headlight and small Koso meter with the YZF750 front end and a wide fatbar. I really like how the small headlight doesn't cover the usd forks or frame at all.

Quick Reply: Conrice's 954 FIGHTER build thread