Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

Conrice's 954 FIGHTER build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:17 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I wish. Not yet though. How about you?

Old 04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the build, that swing arm setup is nice. I would like to do dirtys on mine, just don't have the $$$ for the conversion parts right now. For a bit I was thinkin dirtys and a buell dual headlight setup, I guess time will tell.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Af4iOwner
For a bit I was thinkin dirtys and a buell dual headlight setup, I guess time will tell.
That is a good look, DO EETTT.

Okay, I should have some updates in a day or so. We'll see. I'm trying some stuff....

Old 04-23-2014, 10:10 AM

So. If you've followed the thread at all - you know I've had a dilemma about what to do with the gas tank. Basically, the 954 tank never had a chance of fitting. It was too narrow and not tall enough for the 1000rr air box. The 1000rr air box is taller than the 954 one on its own. Then you add in the secondary injectors and ECU... it's almost like it's a mile high compared to the stock air box.

Anyways - I've figured it out. The red 954 from Finland that I LOVE uses this tank. And I started searching other bikes that had such a tall air box, and a GSXR was the only one that really looked similar to the way mine does.

And it uses a fuel pump that's similar to the 1000rr (which I have to use).

Here's some pictures. Really low quality, I'll show other ones when I get it bolted on and start to work on the subframe.

Name:  IMG_0051_zpse0bb7f17.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  121.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0053_zpscabaea4f.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  103.5 KB

I know it's sort of hard to see with bikes in the background, low light, and low quality, but I wanted to post some pictures of me throwing it on there.

Finally I've found something that'll fit around the air box that won't require building a custom tank.... and it flows with the frame nicely. I really do like it. The only thing I had to do was tap the underneath side with a body working hammer to allow it to fit around one of the air box clamps... Other than that, it'll fit perfect once I make a new mount for the front. The back will mount to the subframe that I was going to build anyways.

Last edited by Conrice; 04-23-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:32 PM

Very nice. Looks like it's sitting on there a bit more of an angle from how it sat on it's suzi donor. Late 90s gsxr? That gonna be a problem with the fuel pickup? Hows the width of the tank fit with the width of the frame?

Old 04-24-2014, 07:05 PM

It's from an 03/04 Gixxer 1000. And I'm pretty sure I can make the fuel pump from that bike work with the 1000rr ECU. It's basically the same. 1 line with the FPR in the pump - just like the '08+ 1Krr. If I was using the 954 TBs or fuel pump - it wouldn't work unless I brazed the bottom side of the 954 tank on to the space I cut out of the gixxer tank.

The only thing that I'm not sure about is the fuel level. On the 1000rr, IIRC, it uses a gauge to tell you the fuel level and a fuel light where as on the Gixxer, it only uses a fuel light.

Anyways... it looks right at home on there. It sticks out past the frame in the back a bit - but it won't be too noticeable. I can't use the 954 subframe plates - this tank rests right on the mounts for them. But that's not too big of an issue as I was going to make my own subframe anyways.

I'll get more pictures when I get the front mount on there.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:59 AM
Sept 2014 ROTM

Originally Posted by Conrice
It's from an 03/04 Gixxer 1000. And I'm pretty sure I can make the fuel pump from that bike work with the 1000rr ECU. It's basically the same. 1 line with the FPR in the pump - just like the '08+ 1Krr. If I was using the 954 TBs or fuel pump - it wouldn't work unless I brazed the bottom side of the 954 tank on to the space I cut out of the gixxer tank.

The only thing that I'm not sure about is the fuel level. On the 1000rr, IIRC, it uses a gauge to tell you the fuel level and a fuel light where as on the Gixxer, it only uses a fuel light.

Anyways... it looks right at home on there. It sticks out past the frame in the back a bit - but it won't be too noticeable. I can't use the 954 subframe plates - this tank rests right on the mounts for them. But that's not too big of an issue as I was going to make my own subframe anyways.

I'll get more pictures when I get the front mount on there.
The finnish 954 that was red has that same tank and it sits perfectly whit the custom subframe. It uses the oem 954 pump. Don't remember did he modify the pump or the tanks bottom when it was fitted. Actually the owner of the bike has changed again after it was wrecked. This is how it looks today.

Conrice's 954 FIGHTER build thread-frst.jpg

Old 04-25-2014, 07:40 AM

That bike was totally the idea for it. I'm not even going to try and lie about it. I looked at it and I could tell the tank was overall - bigger.

Basically, I started looking at pictures of bikes that had really tall airboxs. I figured the good thing about the 954 is that most bikes are physically bigger, so if I could find a picture of a bike with an air box that sit above the frame - it'd work.

Then I found this picture on a gixxer forum.

Name:  DSC02669.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  61.1 KB

I thought that it was a pretty close match to what my bike looked like with the air box.
Name:  IMG_8889_zpsdee1bdec.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  107.2 KB

So I gave it a shot. Whew... I was really starting to worry about the tank. I'm glad I found one that worked.

That bike looks good in it's latest reincarnation, Mika.

So about the tail, I'm leaning towards an S1000r race tail from hotbodies, and using a denniskirk integrated tail above the license plate as a brake light/turn signals...

That'll be the cheapest option the tail done. And I think I'm going to make the actual subframe out of steel. Later on I may change it to some sort of hybrid steel CF thing when I have the money - but with the tank being on there, I'm starting to really get the itch to ride it.

And I sold the Buell - so now I need to get a bike done.

Also, because of caliper spacing and what not - I'm most likely going to go back to the 1000rr tokico's and use the 310mm zx14 rotors. Then I'll be using a Ducati master cylinder. They're radial, actual Brembo, and pretty cheap.

And I want to rant for a second. It's really starting to **** me off - the way things work on ebay. Ebay is supposed to be a place where I can get cheap used parts to get my bike done. Not spend more money on used parts than I can buy new parts for on Ronayers.com . 1000rr gauges are $360 from Ronayers - brand new. The cheapest set on ebay is $359, with 10,600 miles and some scratches. But then they go up from there....

A new radiator stay from ronayers is $4. The cheapest used one on ebay is $12.

Ebay was supposed to be a second option for guys to get parts on the cheap because they're used....

Okay, I'm done now.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Sept 2014 ROTM

Why don't you get aftermarket meter(Koso etc.). They should be little cheaper then oem and do their job as good. Some of the little expensive meters have even built in shifters.

The guy i bought my KTM RC8 Brembo master said it made a huge difference on his 04 1000RR track bike which allso has 310mm discs. I think you will be fine whit the Tokicos. They allso should be little better then the older ones on the 04-07 1000RR.

How you thought about the rev-limiter which the 1000RR ecu has? 13.5k rpms could be little too much for the oem valve springs whit the webcams you have. Would probably be too much even for the stock motor.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by mika_u
Why don't you get aftermarket meter(Koso etc.). They should be little cheaper then oem and do their job as good. Some of the little expensive meters have even built in shifters.

The guy i bought my KTM RC8 Brembo master said it made a huge difference on his 04 1000RR track bike which allso has 310mm discs. I think you will be fine whit the Tokicos. They allso should be little better then the older ones on the 04-07 1000RR.

How you thought about the rev-limiter which the 1000RR ecu has? 13.5k rpms could be little too much for the oem valve springs whit the webcams you have. Would probably be too much even for the stock motor.
Will those aftermarket ones work with the FI system? I'd like to be able to easily diagnose those dummy lights when trying to figure out the kinks in the system. I'm sure I won't get everything correct on the first start-up. That was my main reasoning for wanting an OEM one. But if some of those have an "engine light" - I guess it'll work because it'll blink just like the OEM one, right?

I'm putting a Trail Tech on the bandit I have right now - and I'm not so impressed with simple it is. Plus, I'd like to avoid using a front wheel sensor if I can.

It maybe an option though if I can save a substantial amount of money.

As far as the rev limiter - those stock springs won't be in there when I really ride the bike. I am going to use this OEM spring'd head though to get the bike working though (since it's already together). I'll figure out a way to use those kibblewhites I bought with the head I'm porting.

As for the bottom end - there was a 954 in BSB back in the day that rev'd higher than 13.5k rpms on a stock bottom end and it didn't have any issues. It dropped a valve when it was returned to street duty after they moved to a different bike. With how often I'll probably be on redline - I'm not sure I'm too worried about it with the bottom end.
Riding the Motopower Firehawk - | Motorcycle News | New Motorbikes | Buyers Guides | MCN

But for sure, the springs will have to be changed. And I am going to change them. And port the head. If I can't get it all done by the time I start riding it - I'll probably stick a ignition module on it. (if that happens, I may even go more extreme with the intake cam - like a 1000rr regrind for the new head)

And I sold those mono block calipers. I may use 04-07's until I can upgrade. I can get a set of those calipers for $40 that look great. I figure it'll work well enough until I can get the ones I want. I'd love to get a different set, but I don't feel like spending $200 or more on cool calipers when I'd have to cut and modify them after I got them just to use them.

Like I said - it's getting to the point to where I really want to ride...

Last edited by Conrice; 04-25-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Conrice's 954 FIGHTER build thread