Stickies A collection of threads deemed important enough to have their own section. Moderator approval is required.

How To: Repair Your F3 Fuel Pump

Old 08-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Fuel pump switch. Still have a problem.

Just replaced my fuel pump switch and bike starts ok but when I ride it it splutters and cuts out.
Ok just done a check to see if fuel pump works...it does without the hoses from the tank and to the carbs connected, as soon as I connect the hoses it stops working.
Found a temporary solution at bikersinegpyt have turned the bike into gravity feed by removing the fuel filter and its hoses and connecting the hose going to the carbs straight to the tank. Have run the bike now with the fuel tap turned to reserve as its supposed to give more pressure from the tank. Works ok but off to get a new fuel filter and try again.
Anyone here running an F3 on gravity feed.

Last edited by Bazza; 08-28-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: New content
Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Smile Thumbs up for the Fuel pump repair video!

I have recently had to replace my fuel pump switch on my F3 and followed the instruction here to the letter and it worked great. I still had other issues re misfiring that I had to fix like the regulator/rectifier and carbs see bazzasmotoblog.blogspot.com.au but this fix for the pump 10/10 great video. Bazza

Old 06-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Smile thanks so much

thanks so much for this info cause the shops tell you that you cant rebuild them and so does honda , i have replaced mine 3 times at 170 each time i had to order it . but i put 17,000 miles on my bike in the last 15 months i ride every day .. you described how to do this so perfect my kid could replace the contacts for me ...THANKS AGAIN this info helps me

Old 06-13-2013, 11:03 PM

So I did the switch out and it works fine until i put the black cover back on and then it cuts off. The bike still runs and i can rev it up but when i listen/touch the fuel pump, its only puttering maybe only ever 5 seconds. And like I said, it works fine with the case off and i made sure nothing was touching just dont know why its cutting off

Old 07-12-2013, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the how-to, I just completed it and she is back up and running. Mine was intermittent though, sometimes it would work sometimes not.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:12 PM

Where does The hose on the cap go?

Old 07-14-2013, 05:37 PM

downward, i believe its just a vent/overfill hose

Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 AM

Oh thanks man. I took out my feel pump out and didn't remember undoing that hose

Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 AM

great "how to".
cheers mark

Old 03-05-2017, 12:18 PM

Awesome post. Very helpful. One question. After I finished the replacement, I went to start my bike (cbr f4 2000). I could hear the battery working fine, but the bike wont start. Just kinda "chuggs" while Im pushing ignition. At first, I guessed the fuel lines were empty and the pump would just need to pump for a little while before the bike would start. But after a while, it still wouldnt start. Is that normal for this replacement? Do i need to just keep trying to start it and let the pump do its thing to fill the fuel lines?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To: Repair Your F3 Fuel Pump