Stickies A collection of threads deemed important enough to have their own section. Moderator approval is required.

How To: Repair Your F3 Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I just fixed my fuel pump (thank you for the writeup!) and I wanted to advise you that I found the contacts on Amazon and they were only 35 shipped. I saw 49.99 on Ebay before I got these so figured this was worth posting. Anyway, I ordered them and got them in a week.

Thanks again!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the contacts to my pump few days ago, but still it stopped working today and I had to pull over and "tap" the pump to get it pump again. Is it possible that the spring inside the pump is so weak that it wont push the piston enough to close the contacts properly? The pump itself seems to be impossible to dismantle.

Have anyone tried to bypass the fuel pump and let the gravity do the job (as in F2 model)?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Arsi
I changed the contacts to my pump few days ago, but still it stopped working today and I had to pull over and "tap" the pump to get it pump again. Is it possible that the spring inside the pump is so weak that it wont push the piston enough to close the contacts properly? The pump itself seems to be impossible to dismantle.

Have anyone tried to bypass the fuel pump and let the gravity do the job (as in F2 model)?
I have run it on gravity on an F3. Worked fine when the tank was full, I believe around a quarter tank it couldn't keep up on the highway. Also i believe it wouldn't keep up with constant high RPMs as in above 10,000. It will work to get you by until you get the pump fixed though.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:52 PM

Awesome write up and instructions. Now I know why I'm always thinking it's time to switch to reserve only to look down at the odometer and see I've only travelled about a third of a tank. I'd say mine's ready for an inspection at least.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:44 AM

Instead of replacing the contacts I just gave them a file to match them up and give better contact. Glad I did it, a noticeable difference and the surging has completely gone now. It holds rpm perfectly when cruising. No hesitation on acceleration either.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chuluun
Thanks so much, I just finished repairing my pump. I knew about the repair kit before but didn't have the confidence to do it until I found your how-to.

A few thoughts about the pump itself:

It is just an auxiliary pump that maintains pressure when fuel is low. With a full tank you don't need it; I know this because my bike would still run with a full tank even though the pump contacts were completely burned out (worse than in the how-to photos in fact). Then when fuel got low I'd end up at the side of the road. In that case I suppose deliberately running the tank to reserve -- which many of us do habitually as a way of measuring fuel consumption -- is likely to put more strain on the pump and wear the contacts quicker (because it runs faster the lower the gravitational pressure from the tank).

If the O-ring seal on the pump is breached and the contacts get dirty they can stick or seize. Make sure that's not the problem before you buy the repair kit. A good squirt of WD40 around the hinge and spring on the contacts might help.

Great write-up, thanks again.
I am pretty sure my pump is bad. Having the same issues as others on here. I ran the fuel line straight to the carbs and it ran fine. Going through the fuel pump, it won't even idle. What's weird though, is when I had the outlet line off the pump, it did squirt a bit gas out. I'm going to look at it more tonight and see if I can get it to pump at all. I will check the contacts. Can't see the pics at work, will check them out when I get home. I would be more inclined to go the route of replacing it with the one mentioned in another thread, $53 at auto zone. Might as well go entire new pump for $13 more than contacts.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 AM

Well I found ONE of these pumps in stock here in Cincy, went and picked it up saturday. Got home to find the plastic cap over the contacts was cracked already! Needless to say, I took it back, and a new one should be in tomorrow. But I also am having an issue finding a way to step down from 3/8" hose to 5/16" on the pump and back up. Any suggestions?

Old 01-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Default fuel pump switch 18-4615

i am in the same boat with my fuel pump. the contacts are bad as seen in Ido Dirt's pics and vid. i cleaned them and got them working but i do not want to ride my bike (2000 honda cbr 600 f4) and get stuck on the side of the road. my ? is will the kit for the f3 work on the f4 as just by pics they look they same but everywhere i look theres no cross reference for use on the f4. i would like to save some money in these hard times if possible so if it will fit the f4 i would love to know. thank you

Attached Thumbnails How To: Repair Your F3 Fuel Pump-imag0444.jpg  
Old 04-12-2012, 01:41 PM

Hi.

Can someone with a working fuel pump measure and tell the value of resistance between + and null when the pump is not powered?

My pump is not starting at all and doesn't look like it has bad connectors.

Mine shows a resistance of 2.3 Ohms.

Thanks,
George

Quick Reply: How To: Repair Your F3 Fuel Pump