Stickies A collection of threads deemed important enough to have their own section. Moderator approval is required.

CBR600F3 Super Review (the best of the steel frames)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:01 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this review was written a while ago, but I too must compliment.
Great read! Nice to see I bought the right year

Gerald
1997 Honda CBR600 F3
Smokin' Joe's

Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 PM

Loving my F3 since the day I bought it last June. I've rode r6's, fzr's, zx-10s, and a gsxr 750. Although I might have one of the slower bikes in the group I ride in, soon as we hit corners they're trying to catch up.

The steering is unbelievable on these things. Can't even imagine an RR.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Default Thanks for an excellent review.

Juliet,

Many thanks. Currently looking at buying my first CBR600F (first CBR period) and your review has been extremely helpful.

A bit curious - you have a screenshot showing the UK colours. I have seen a 1998 model advertised in MCN that is all yellow. It is advertised as CBR600F. From the photo it looks like it has the alloy grab rail. Is this likely to be the F3 or could it be something else? If it is an F3 would the fact that it is all yellow imply that it is imported to UK?

As Juliet's review is now 5 years old - if anyone else knows about above would appreciate your thoughts.

TIA,
Andy

Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 AM

i would sure like to be able to get a hold of Juliet or some one as knowledgeable. Does anyone have an email address for him?

I already have my 98 f3 motor in a racing lawn mower and it goes pretty decent but only on top end... the airbox is basically gone, i really need to learn exactly how the air intake works so that i can correctly plumb the hoses for my application. if anyone can explain to me what is pressurized and what is vacuum and why they are the way they are please respond!! THANKS!!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Default 1996 cbr600 f3

My F3 seems so much faster than my F2 that I'm wondering if the engine has been messed with, my friends F3 definitely wasn't as quick. I can't get properly on the throttle while lean't over as it's causing the back to step out, I don't remember my R6 or any other 600 I've ridden having as much power from 8000 rpm.

Handling was poor initially in tight turns but with the yokes dropped 10mm on the forks and the suspension tweaked it is now pretty good, I still can't quite gel with it, mainly because the faster I go the more the back keeps moving.

Still I only got it yesterday and have only done 250 miles so far.

It came with a pair of nearly new Pirrelli Diablo's which I had been led to believe are pretty grippy. The back end is moving as much as my old 900 Hornet with a Bridgestone BT56 on the back.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:53 AM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great read Juliet as like the others you did...

Old 11-20-2013, 02:08 PM

Fantastic review! Im soooooo glad that two days after buying my first 1997f3 with only 8873 miles on it, I have read this. Put my mind at ease that I have made a great choice. Thank you so much

Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 AM

hey what a great review its sold the bike to me, ive been offered one by a friend 1998 f3 with one owner 11000 miles and in mint condition and for the money its a pretty nice bike. i havent rode for a few years after a near off which shock me up a little but the need to ride again is back and i think this bike is for me, great review its helped make up my mind

Old 03-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must say it once more, great review!! I have a 97 f3, love it to death. Bought mine last year with 47k k.. put in some TLC and she treats me well. Have lots of respect for its power, don't let her age fool ya! Starting to plan some mod projects like the F4i guage swap and would really love to do a tail conversion with something like an r1/r6 tail.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:15 AM

My 96 F3 developed an awful flat spot in the mid range which destroyed handling as I couldn't exit corners properly. Removing the solenoid and bypassing the low speed ram air seems to have cured it. Yokes are dropped 25mm and the bike generally corners really well, also dropped a tooth on the front sprocket so I can pull the odd wheelie (off the throttle in 1st). Not enough grip to clutch it up in 2nd though, just lights up the back tire.

On fast corners and straights on favourite roads it's roughly 10 - 15mph slower everywhere than my early R6 was. I was 10 years younger and probably a better rider when I owned that though. Brakes seem as good as R6 but the extra weight makes it much easier to lock up the front tire into corners, stability is better though even without a damper.

Getting on the throttle cranked over with this bike hard at high revs has always been dodgy as the rear tire moves around a lot for a 600 without the controllability of spinning up a 1000, I tried a different tire (from my F2 track bike) and it was even worst than the Diablo. With the mid range properly sorted it's not such as issue now as this bike has more torque at mid revs than any 600 I've ridden to date (hard).

I haven't got round to checking the carb jets or anything yet but removing the baffle in the race can gave more mid range power as well as the ram air mod. It seems quicker than my 2002 Sport did on acceleration (even before sprocket change) and wastes my mates 98 newer shape F3 which doesn't seem a lot better than my F2. My F3 has done nearly 40000 miles, Honda's usually get quicker with mileage in my experience. The Sport I had was slower and poor handling compared to my mates 99 R6 so I only did 2000 miles before getting one of those, I'd have another early R6 if it wasn't for long term reliability (gearbox on the way out at 16000 miles, I had it new and kept it serviced, never thrashed from cold etc).

Last edited by No1spank; 04-06-2014 at 02:46 AM.

Quick Reply: CBR600F3 Super Review (the best of the steel frames)