Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

New world class race track to Finland!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:44 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New world class race track to Finland!

So stoked about this! Almost dropped off my stool when I found out late last night about this project, cannot believe how can I have missed this as the initiative has been active since 2012 but is now moving forward, the environment permits has passed and the track profile was released yesterday. It is going to be a world class motorsports park with full capabilities to house a MotoGP or F3 etc. event. And what's best, IT'S 56Km FROM OUR HOUSE!

Of course it's still gonna take years until fully completed, provided it doesn't stumble upon some flying squirrel dropping findings or something else as stupid but so far it seems to be moving forward nicely.

Track profile, cgi images, a virtual trailer vid and current info to be found here:

KymiRing

Last edited by Mattson; 09-23-2014 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:38 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some nice twisty flowing curves in that layout Matti and what looks like an incredibly long straight, was the proposed site an airfield?

Might favour the bikes with the highest top speed, with slower bikes/riders battling to get past through the curves, only to be re-passed on the long straight.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:53 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Gonna have to read through the whole site better today, there might be info on the fin side that's not fully translated but to my knowledge there's no airfield in Iitti as there is one just five km from our house. As far as I know the whole track is gonna be built from ground up into a forest or an old sand pit but I'll get back on that. There's also gonna be a mud track, a motocross track and a training area for heavy machinery with hills and such as the Vekaranjärvi garrison is not far so the defence forces wanted in on the project.

And yea the long straight caught my eye too, one thing that came to my mind is could it be a 1/4 mile long? I haven't found yet how long the track's gonna be.

Last edited by Mattson; 09-23-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Sept 2014 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a some news in Finnish about the track for Mattson. Should be pretty "big" track compared to other Finnish tracks. Could be fun to take the 954 for a little spin when the track is finished. Mattson can translate it if he wants.

http://www.mpmaailma.fi/uutinen/kymi...alle-misanossa

Old 09-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That looks like a pretty fun track - and I'm always in favor of MotoGP adding another round!

Should be fun for some of you Finnish guys to do some trackdays there!

Old 09-23-2014, 09:08 AM

Thanks Mika I'll see if I have the time to translate it! I was completely oblivious of the whole project until yesterday. It's about a 40min ride from our house thru Vierumäki & Vuolenkoski so most deffy gonna be learning how to track there! Although it's not gonna open until '16 earliest and even then it's not completed yet. It's gonna be a huge complex with many different kinds of tracks, an amusement park, industrial area, hotel, own hospital and a wind turbine park to provide power, just to name a few. Biggest motorsports center in the northern europe.

That got me thinking... Now I do enjoy trucking but I'm not planning to retire from behine the wheel... if I could silver tongue myself there as a some kind of a cheaf handyman or something of the like... how cool would that be! New everything so nothing's gonna break apart in the first few years hopefully... Gotta keep one ear to the wind when they start employing staff. It is going to be, to some extent, all year round place with snowcross etc events at winter too.

Last edited by Mattson; 09-23-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:13 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might even be fun to be a track marshal, I don't think they get paid half the time, but free track-side view of the action is not to be sniffed at and a chance to see your hero's up close as they scoop the kitty litter out of their leathers

Old 09-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Right, some kind of a translation coming up, clearly not a professional journalist that wrote that and even more so the one that translated so might be a bit blocky...

The KymiRing- track project is being worked on in many fronts in the background. If the northern Europe`s leading motorsports country Finland gets the long due international class race track, then in getting the big competitions to come here the leading organisations FIA, the international track motorcycling organisation FIM, and the current MotoGP class administrator Dorna all play a big role.

Over the coming weekend the CEO of the Finnish motorsports union Kurt Ljungqvist is presenting the coming project to the administration of Dorna in Misano, Italy during the San Marino GP. The plan for the whole KymiRing complex is designed by an experienced company called Apex Circuit Designs.

Ljungqvist says that the MotoGP rights owner Dorna has the biggest say in handing out the arranging rights of the GP races.

-This kind of ground work is very important. If we get the planned track, the MotoGP event is one of our key goals to achieve. This is very long term work and the deciding parties must be kept up to date. There are several new countries applying for race permits over the next few years but we are confident that Finland`s reputation in arranging racing events is solid.
-Dorna, who owns the right to both MotoGP and Superbike world cups, is very interested in our project, says Ljungqvist.

Kymiring is going to be a versatile business complex that will have the racing center, a wide range of different educating facilities and a training center. The track itself will fulfill both Europe cup, and World cup requirements, and it will be built according to the FIA sustainable developement standards. The motorsports center`s most important part will be the 4,9 kilometer long Grand Prix class race track that will fulfill the FIA class 2 certification which means being able to host events like DTM, FIA GT and WTCC. In motorcycle sports the class 2 cetrificate meets the highest level requirements which is the MotoGP. Inside the track there will be rallycross, motocross and speedway tracks aswell (plan pics also show a GoKart track and the long main straight with the extended ends refer to drag racing)

Comptetitions on the track will probably start in 2016 earliest.

In case someone wants to see the planned place for the track is here. North on 362 and west on 363 & 313 and you arrive to Vääksy which is where I live. Possible accomodation during a world class event might be possible for one or two fastest but will be assessed case by case

EDIT: now that I looked better at the map, the ratsnest of dirt roads on the spot is an offroad racing center.

Last edited by Mattson; 09-23-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:06 AM

This just in, the plans have gone through miraculously without a single complaint so they can now start building whenever they wish. Looks like they can actually reach the very optimistic estimation of opening at 2017. Not gonna be MotoGP ready then but at least the track should open for smaller events.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:06 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Great, although isn't the Finnish culture very big on all things driving/riding/motorsports related? That was my understanding at least, so I'm not surprised it didn't get complaints.

Here, everyone would bitch about traffic and noise....

Quick Reply: New world class race track to Finland!