F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New 01 CBR F4i, wanna go faster...

Old 05-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New 01 CBR F4i, wanna go faster...

Hey everyone, I finally upgraded my 1991 CBR 600 F2 with a 2001 CBR F4i, and I must say: I love it! I've only test driven it so far, and I had to take it kind of easy. As with any car/bike I've ever owned, the first question I have is: How can I make it go faster? I got to take my cousins Repsol for a spin last week, and I fell in love instantly! However, my budget (and insurance agent) won't allow for a Repsol, so I would love to get this bike closer to that in terms of handling/power. I know it won't ever be as good, that would be unrealistic, but I can dream lol.

So far I've determined a new exhaust, K&N filter, power commander, and the 520 conversion are *needed* What else would you guys recommend? The tires are brand new and felt nice and grippy after I warmed them up a bit, it feels miles ahead of the F2

Old 05-15-2009, 06:17 PM

lol you sound excited. congrats on the new bike.

the upgrades you listed are the main performance upgrades people get on the f4i. those should hold you over for a while. just work on getting comfy with the bike. dont get too crazy out there!

other than that i would recommend things like undertail kit and other cosmetic upgrades if they dont have them already and make the bike look the way it should. clean.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:30 PM

post up some pictures! you can get a full exhaust, filter and a pcIII and a tune

Old 05-15-2009, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by lonestarballa
lol you sound excited. congrats on the new bike.

the upgrades you listed are the main performance upgrades people get on the f4i. those should hold you over for a while. just work on getting comfy with the bike. dont get too crazy out there!

other than that i would recommend things like undertail kit and other cosmetic upgrades if they dont have them already and make the bike look the way it should. clean.
I've been smiling like a complete moron for the past couple hours
That's kinda what I thought about the mods, those seem to be what everyone else was doing...
I'll look for aftermarket visual mods after I paint it. It's red and white right now, but I plan on going full on white/black. White always seems so nice and clean, I love it! It currently has a red windshield, but I'll be replacing it with the carbon fiber windshield, it just looks so badass IMO!

Originally Posted by Jmclmorrow
post up some pictures! you can get a full exhaust, filter and a pcIII and a tune
I'll get some pics ASAP, I'm picking it up on Mon or Tues! here's the pic from his ad:

Also, I plan on getting the foot pegs and engine cover powdercoated black to match the frame, and my theme of black/white...

Attached Thumbnails New 01 CBR F4i, wanna go faster...-my-bike.jpg  

Last edited by Ryans CBR; 05-15-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

A 520 conversion isen't going to make you faster. A gearing change can, but you can do that with a stock 525 sized chain. Slip on exhaust also don't give alot of power increases, you need a full system to see that. If you really want to go fast find a HRC kit, otherwise be happy with the great bike you already have!

Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
A 520 conversion isen't going to make you faster. A gearing change can, but you can do that with a stock 525 sized chain. Slip on exhaust also don't give alot of power increases, you need a full system to see that. If you really want to go fast find a HRC kit, otherwise be happy with the great bike you already have!
I was under the impression the 520 conversion would increase acceleration...? Not necessarily top speed, but making it quicker to say, 100 mph? I'm not looking to spend too much on this bike, just a little bump in power would be nice, that way I'll feel like the bike is *more of my own", no doubt it's a nice bike already, but I can't not upgrade!

Old 05-16-2009, 12:16 AM

A 520 is a lighter material of chain. a 525 is the spocket size and bike with bigger than 1000 cc's use a 530. If you want to go faster, changing your sprockets will give you quicker acceleration on your low end torque. Your bike has 16 teeth on the front sprocket and 46 in the rear , change your front to 15 and add one or two on the rear or keep the rear at 46. You will see a difference. I did a -1 in the front of my bike and I am pleased with it.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Stephens
A 520 is a lighter material of chain. a 525 is the spocket size and bike with bigger than 1000 cc's use a 530. If you want to go faster, changing your sprockets will give you quicker acceleration on your low end torque. Your bike has 16 teeth on the front sprocket and 46 in the rear , change your front to 15 and add one or two on the rear or keep the rear at 46. You will see a difference. I did a -1 in the front of my bike and I am pleased with it.
Wow, thanks for the info! I'll definately look into that for my bike.

What sites do you all use to get your mods? So far I've only really looked on Ebay...

Old 05-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 520 is NOT a lighter material. The numbers (520/525/530) indicate the WIDTH of the chain. The smaller the chain, the weaker it is. Check out any mfg. website. The bigger the chain, the higher the tensil strength. You will NEVER notice the change from 525 to 520, untill you have to replace the chain again, sooner than you think. If you want more torque when you take off you need to change the gearing of the sprockets, -1/+2. Thats the cheapest thing you can do. If you decide to upgrade the exhaust it'd be a good idea to invest in a power commander, so you can remap the FI. And FYI "Repsol" is just a paint scheme, you can get a Repsol kit for your bike if you want, it wont make you go any faster but it'll look just like your buddy's.lol

Old 05-16-2009, 11:17 AM

boredandstroked, What is an HRC kit? what all is included and what does it do? if you don't mind my asking.....

thanks!!
-Michael

P.S. Good lookin bike Ryans CBR. It's the same color combo as mine. (they look the best in my opinion!!)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 01 CBR F4i, wanna go faster...