General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator for 01 CBR600F4i

Old 05-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator for 01 CBR600F4i

Recently I had the good fortune to receive an 01 CBR600F4i for FREE. That's right, FREE. Yes it runs.
Anyway, After I got some minor repairs done and replaced the battery I realized that the battery was not being charged by the system on the bike. This led me to use a volt meter and measure the voltage at the battery when it was running. Unfortunately, the voltage was very low and the battery was constantly being drained. So now I am thinking I need a new stator or a rectifier. Seeing as how a rectifier has no moving parts in it which equates to less room for failure I finally settled on a stator purchase.

Does anyone know of where I can find a new or refurbished stator for an affordable price?

If any of you guys live in Dallas and now of a place locally or have an online retailer that you use please let me know.

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 PM

I wouldnt jump right into think the stator is bad. The rectifier is a common problem. Check the wire connections to the rectifier and see if any are melted.

To check the stator, take your multimeter, set it to ohms. Measure across all 3 leads of the stator. measure 1and2, 2and3, 1and3. They should all measure the same. It should be somewhere around .6 or .7 ohms. It may be different on that bike, but they should all be the same. If you have one or two of them out from the other, then the stator is probably bad. If they all measure good, your stator is fine and look into replacing the rectifier.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Classifieds or ebay

Old 05-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're putting on a Reg/Rec consider going non-OEM and getting a Shindengen FH012AA. Yes you will have some work to do re-wiring it, but it far out performs OEM, doesn't get any where near as hot... and can be found in junkyards and ebay. I think some model R1's had it, as did some of the newer 1000RR's.

It has been discussed here on cbrforum, and also here:
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...howtopic=32021

Old 05-04-2009, 12:20 PM

Several of my riding friends have asked me to do a simple test. Not sure if it will hurt the bike or not so I haven't tried it yet.

They want me to get the bike started and then remove one of the leads from the battery to see if it dies. I have been told that if the bike dies then you more than likely have a stator problem since the stator should be doing all the work and not the battery.

Does anyone know if this sounds right? This seems to be last problem that I need to tackle before the bike is in the right condition to ride on a regular basis. Any information you can give would be helpful.

Thanks to those who have already replied.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM

that is not right. The stator cannot support the electrical demand of the bike. A bikes charging system is nothing like a car, where the alternator puts out enough to run the car. On a bike, the stator only charges the battery, not support the whole system. So, it will die as soon as you disconnect the battery even with a good stator.

The simpliest test for the stator is measuring the resistance across the leads.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is an article which gives a pretty good break down of a motorcycle charging system and why some of the components fail. But I would follow the advice of what the other guys were suggesting.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8941032/mo...harging-system

Old 05-05-2009, 02:33 PM

I went out today and got a multimeter and measured the resistance across the three leads. 1 and 3 measure at 0.5. 1 and 2 I get nothing at all and 2 and 3 I get nothing so I am guessing the stator is confirmed bad. If this sounds right let me know. If not more suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:19 PM

yep, its bad.

The odd thing is though you should have gotton some resistance. I wonder if you just have a couple of broken wires. I'd pull the cover and inspect the wires leading to the stator.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:39 AM

I will pull the stator this weekend and check the wires. I need to change the oil in the bike anyway so I can do both at the same time. Thanks for the info and I will keep everyone updated. Make sure you check out the pics of the bike in my album. Pretty good for free eh?