F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Ram Mount / Garmin Zumo Install

Old 01-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Mount / Garmin Zumo Install

Hey All,

Well, I got the fork stem ram mount, but the rubber plug that it came with was not wide enough to fit in the hole, so I needed to get a larger rubber plug at the hardware store. Not sure if there are size options from the ram-mount site, but I certainly didn't notice when I ordered one. Aside from needing to go to the hardware store and do some extra cutting (I used garden scissors to cut the rubber, worked like a charm) it went pretty well. Here are some pics, let me know what you think!

Note I have two ram-mount *****, one on the side and one directly in front. This way I can mount two or more things at once!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:57 AM
Default RE: Ram Mount / Garmin Zumo Install

looks good! i like the mount just in front... just make sure you dont pay too much attention to it while you're driving. does it talk to you too? if so, can u hear it well?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:34 AM

I actually use the gas tank bolts and drill out the holes to fit and i use it wit my gps. found out that it won't hold up in a crash thought. totally sheared off the ram ball. (bike flipped a couple times at the track) The ipaq still worked after i found it (missing a couple plastic bits though). Was using the pda as a gps based lap timer.

On the street though i normally use a clutch perch mount as you do also since a tank bag is usually in the way of the front mount

Old 01-15-2008, 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: oodayvidoo

looks good! i like the mount just in front... just make sure you dont pay too much attention to it while you're driving. does it talk to you too? if so, can u hear it well?
I certainly will only be glancing at it from time to time, I got it more for those rare occasions when you've been riding for 2-3 hours and realize you have absolutly no clue where you are and the sun is setting - eek! It does talk via an audio out headphone jack. I will most likely be mounting my chatterbox on the left side ram-mount and will plug the gps directly into that so I could hear any navigation instructions.

So far I've only used it in the car with my buddies car mount and I am not too impressed by the speech quality but it will get the job done when the time comes that I need it.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:32 AM

I use the upper tank mounting bolts and the Standard RAM mount (drilled out larger as mentioned above). It doesn't interfere with a tank bag, just tilt the extension forward. I had to go this route as the stem mount wasn't available at the time I bought my Zumo, but now that I have it, I like my Zumo in the fixed position.

Here it is with the same mount base on top the HESD cover on my CBR1000RR

Awesome for finding fuel stops when out riding.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:18 PM

can you guys recomend some tank bags that fit well with the gps still on the bike? I am in the market and somebody with actual experience fitting on the f4i with a gps attached would be real helpful... (pics would be nice too if available)

Old 01-15-2008, 04:12 PM

I like the Cortech Super 14 liter tank bag

I have the strap version as I use it on both the non metal tank covered RR and the F4i. Very secure and roomy, easy to just unbuckle the buckle closest to the seat or both up by the yoke and slide it out of the way for fueling up. Here is a photo of all my luggage that I use on both bikes. As you can see, Zumo clearance isn't an issue.

(That black spec in the background, right in the center and right where the ground and sky meet, is an eagle. It was below me in this photo)

Old 01-16-2008, 10:32 PM

Hey kicker ive been looking for the stem ram mount, can you give me a link where you got it from? and what size fits our bikes

Old 01-17-2008, 02:27 PM

Hey Kiker14 where did u get the ball mount that sits in the middle of your triple clamp? I currently have a garmin setup that attaches to the handle bar, but I think that would be much nicer.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:34 PM

nevermind I just found it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ram Mount / Garmin Zumo Install