General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The cure for Voltage Regulator/Rectifier Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The cure for Voltage Regulator/Rectifier Problems

Ok I have a 1996 CBR 600 F3 and the battery kept dieing. Did the pin-point test and they showed that the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier was the problem. So I called Honda and they wanted around $170 for the part and $40 to overnight it. I was strapped for cash at the time and couldn't get it so my bike was stuck at my work for about a week. And Honda said that 9/10 times the test says its the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier it isn't its the stator which is still around the same price. And if i order either and they didnt fix the problem I could not return them. So I brought the bike up to my school (I'm a automotive major) and had my teacher look at it and he said the same it was the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier. So I asked if there was a way to put a "band-aid" on it just so i could ride and he said yes. When long story short, we took a rectifier from inside a GM alternator and used that in the place of the Honda Voltage Regulator/Rectifier. The only problem with this is that there is no REGULATOR, so it would just be temp. because it would overcharge the battery. However, after wiring it all up and testing the charging system, the GM rectifier did not overcharge the battery even at 10,000 RPM. So in conclusion this is no longer a "band-aid" and it is the CURE. So i called NAPA and ordered a rectifier for a 1980 Camero and installed it. Total Cost $25 compared to $210. I will try to write up a Do-It-Yourself and hopefully save alot of you guys LOTS OF MONEY! I hope this helps and I will keep you posted as to the condition, but as over now with over 100 miles on the GM rectifier no problems at all. SO NOW I HAVE A GM - HONDA HYBRIB!!

Old 11-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Default RE: The cure for Voltage Regulator/Rectifier Problems

I had the same problem with my F2. You know, you could get F2/F3 rectifiers used or new pretty cheap and not go through stealerships. They always have inflated prices. A few OEM sites online have them at about 120 shipped. I've seen them new on ebay for 60+shipping and as low as 50 shipped. I got a used one from another member on this board for about 30 bucks and works great. Fixed my problem.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:18 PM

Wow, cool.

I would definitely like to see that write-up, when you get it done!

I would imagine that it is just a matter of mounting it and connecting the Honda wiring to the right pins on the GM regulator.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:36 PM

I installed a used GSXR reg/rect I bought off ebay for $40!!!!
I think it's the best and most cost-effective solution. Here's thewrite up:

https://cbrforum.com/m_199676/mpage_.../tm.htm#199676

Old 03-30-2007, 12:29 AM

Hm... This is interesting, I've seen that recitifer and it looks good, lots of cooling. So I went to pick one up and I'm having trouble wiring it, I got the little diode thats supposed to go on top. Did you use it? Any updates?? [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 03-30-2007, 12:36 AM

ORIGINAL: jzcbr600

Ok I have a 1996 CBR 600 F3 and the battery kept dieing. Did the pin-point test and they showed that the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier was the problem. So I called Honda and they wanted around $170 for the part and $40 to overnight it. I was strapped for cash at the time and couldn't get it so my bike was stuck at my work for about a week. And Honda said that 9/10 times the test says its the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier it isn't its the stator which is still around the same price. And if i order either and they didnt fix the problem I could not return them. So I brought the bike up to my school (I'm a automotive major) and had my teacher look at it and he said the same it was the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier. So I asked if there was a way to put a "band-aid" on it just so i could ride and he said yes. When long story short, we took a rectifier from inside a GM alternator and used that in the place of the Honda Voltage Regulator/Rectifier. The only problem with this is that there is no REGULATOR, so it would just be temp. because it would overcharge the battery. However, after wiring it all up and testing the charging system, the GM rectifier did not overcharge the battery even at 10,000 RPM. So in conclusion this is no longer a "band-aid" and it is the CURE. So i called NAPA and ordered a rectifier for a 1980 Camero and installed it. Total Cost $25 compared to $210. I will try to write up a Do-It-Yourself and hopefully save alot of you guys LOTS OF MONEY! I hope this helps and I will keep you posted as to the condition, but as over now with over 100 miles on the GM rectifier no problems at all. SO NOW I HAVE A GM - HONDA HYBRIB!!
Excellent solve and post!

Old 03-30-2007, 06:14 PM

Maybe someone else will understand this. My problem is that the rectifier has 3 posts and if I apply power to all of them where do I get power out? If I put the extra diode trio down then power on top I thought I should get power out of the trio. This what the rectifier looks like: http://info.rockauto.com/Airtex/2D3010.jpg and this is the diode trio (not sure if I need it): http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/D-11_FULL.jpg Any help at all would be appreciated

Old 03-31-2007, 10:11 PM

OK, so I figured out how to get power out, evidently the GM alternators used to ahve a seperate bolt type thing that would connect to the powered side of the rectifier, so no built in output terminal. But the problem is I get about 30-40 volts coming out of the rectifier. So how did he do it without a regulator???

Old 04-01-2007, 02:40 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

umm you can also goto a motorcycle recycling yard and pick up a used one for about $50 . like you said you were looking for a cheap fix just to get you up and running . i put a used one on my f3 and it slasted me just fine and never had a problem again

Old 04-01-2007, 06:54 PM

If I knew of one in Vegas I'd go, but the only salvage yard I know of just has cars.

Quick Reply: The cure for Voltage Regulator/Rectifier Problems