Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ride to MotoGP in Austin, TX

Old 04-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Haven't been in Austin since 92. Please tell me 6th Street is still a bout debauchery...

And you did load a case of Shiner Bock for me, right?
6th street is great, in fact out hotel was on 6th. Everything was in walking distance to us. Well, about the beer... ya see it wouldn't fit in the bike so someone had to drink it

Old 04-25-2013, 04:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6th street is a ton of fun. Went every year for the past 5 years and always enjoy myself.

We're there a lot of riders there? I know some friends here in dallas rode there.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

That is part of the event that I was really disappointed in. Virtually nothing going on downtown in Austin relating to the MotoGP event. There may have been some relatively small private things like invitation only events, but nothing I could see. The downtown crowds were normal Friday and Saturday crowds. The city didn't do anything, and COTA didn't do anything either. I stopped by the COTA ticket office in downtown Austin and they told me that they had no planned events in Austin.

When I went to the first MotoGP event at Indy, that was a major event. That city knows how to roll out the red carpet for an event like this. There were thousands of bikes in downtown Indianapolis, IN for 3 nights. Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The main street was blocked off to cars and motorcycles were parked down the center of the street as far as you could see. The city had free parking at meters for motorcycles. There were lots of manufacturers and vendors there as well as street vendors selling food and beverage.

I think from this perspective, Austin is really going to have to step it up ! I stayed downtown expecting a Indy like experience. If nothing changes, I'll just stay SE of town for lower hotel rates and less traffic. FM812 was the best way in and out of COTA, with Elroy rd being the second best, and Pearce Ln was terrible.