Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ride to MotoGP in Austin, TX

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts
Default Ride to MotoGP in Austin, TX

Well, we're leaving in the AM for our ride to Austin, TX for the inaugural race there at the Circuit of the Americas (COTA). I'll be on my F3 and my wife on he new (to her) 2006 F4i.

From S. FL we take mostly highway to get out of the state. There really is no good way to get from S to N on back roads if you're trying to get anywhere. Near Ocala, we'll make our way over to the W coast of FL taking US19 N to up near Tallahassee. From there NW into GA, AL, MS, AR, OK, then TX. We only plan to catch the corner of OK just to say we were there before heading down to Austin. No particular route, just kind of take it as we see it. We'll be in Austin from Thurs - Monday, then start the ride back. It will be more direct coming back and maybe a couple of days in New Orleans before going home. We've been planning this ever since we heard that MotoGP was going to be in TX. We went to the first two years of MotoGP at IMS so figured we couldn't miss the first at COTA.

I'll try to post up during the ride if I can.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Well, 1 day of riding and all we've done is be able to get out of FL. Florida is a long state, especially when you live near the bottom. Here we are headed up the turnpike. We've made it to Georgia and we are in Thomasville for the night.

Attached Thumbnails Ride to MotoGP in Austin, TX-image_1.jpg  
Old 04-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be safe, have fun, I wish I could join you. Think my tickets will be good for next year's races? lol

Ern

Old 04-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Well, we've had our challenges today. Got the bikes loaded this morning only to find out I had a dead battery. I think k from now on I'll be starting the bikes before loading so I don't go through this again. I was fortunate to find someone who could give me a jump. Got it started, and then loaded back up. No places open on Sunday morning so figured we'd just hit the road and stop somewhere along the way. Made it to Dothan, AL and stopped fog gas. While riding, I had pulled in the clutch, killed the motor, and started it using the starter, no problem.

Well, it was dead at the pump after refilling the tank. What's the deal in Alabama with all motorcycle places being closed on Sunday's and Monday's. I checked for a Cycle Gear, but no luck. Figured I'd give Walmart a shot, so left the wife with my bike and I rode off to Walmart to check on a battery. I saw a Autozone along the way, so figured a quick stop to check couldn't hurt. I was in luck, and they had the right one in stock. Took it back to the quickie-mart where I left my wife to put it in. Realize though that it is still raining as it had since we left Thomasville, GA. Not the most fun thing to go in the rain.

Getting your rain gear on and off is a time consuming thing. We figured since we were stopped anyway, we'd get some food at the fast food place across the street to avoid dressing and undressing again. We ate that, and finally got back on the road around three. We did about another 76 miles in the rain. Once the rain stopped, we found a hotel in Andalusia. We looked like a couple of drowned rats when we got off the bikes.

We are down for the night and will head out again in the morning.

Last edited by IDoDirt; 04-14-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I've been lax in updating here. We headed out the next day and headed west on highway 84, following it into Mississippi, and then north to pick up interstate 20. We rode on 20 to Vicksburg to make up a little time.

We crossed the Mississippi river, then went north up into Arkansas to Lake Village, and then traveled west to Texarkanna AK/TX. While there we did the usual tourist thing and took photos of us on the state line.

We left Texarkanna headed north again back into Arkansas. We went north to Due Queen, then west to Broken Bow, OK, then south to Idabel, Ok. From there we headed south on 259 through Longview and Henderson, then southwest following 79 and stopping in Franklin, Tax for the night. We were now about 100 miles from Austin, TX.

Getting up Thursday morning found a cold front passing through with dropped temperature's and rain. Luckily it was only about an hour and a half ride to Austin.

Austin has been an excellent town with great night life. The Circuit of the Americas facility is incredible. Well laid out with all the amenities. The track is one of the nicest I've seen.

Its Saturday night and its going to be Marc Marquez in the poll position and Dani Pedrosa in the number 2 spot. Its going to be an excellent race tomorrow. I'll try to post up tomorrow night.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty jealous. I planned to go but new job wouldn't allow me. Stay safe and have fun!

Old 04-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pictures and videos! Especially the drowned rats parts! lol

Ern

Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default Spoiler

What an absolutely excellent day. Watching Marc and Dani battle it out today in Austin while all Jorge could do was watch, was priceless. We had an excellent view of the races today just before turn 1. Nice view of the home stretch. This Marc Marquez is really going to be someone to watch this season and the coming years.

I'll post photos after I get home. Sorry, no drowned rat photos.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Well after spending 4 glorious days in Austin, we've headed out of town on the road home. We want to spend a day in New Orleans, so we made use of I-10 to cover some ground. We've stopped in Lafayette for the night and will make New Orleans tomorrow. The weather was great today, not a drop of rain.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't been in Austin since 92. Please tell me 6th Street is still a bout debauchery...

And you did load a case of Shiner Bock for me, right?

Quick Reply: Ride to MotoGP in Austin, TX