Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Most Northern CBR

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

long trip alone!

were you worried about hitting and wildlife?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:05 PM
January 2012 AND 2013 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
long trip alone!

were you worried about hitting and wildlife?
yeah most long trips i do it alone, just cause time preference and ll. and most guys i ride with , theyre bunch of city guys. lol

and as far as wildlife ,, nah, i barely saw any . one two times there was moose that walked in front of me , but i say them crossing from about 200 feet, so had plenty of time to slow down and watch them. thats about all. nothing crazy

Old 08-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Caught your thread over on ADV...good stuff. :-)

Old 08-06-2012, 09:18 PM

im doing a full write up now, will post it in a bit, im on the 600rr,adv,and this forum.. so lots of leak story. lol

Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 PM
October 2011 ROTM

That's awesome man. How was you butt after that long ride?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:59 PM

Are you from there? Im from Anchorage. Born and raised. moved to Indiana in 2006 though. The riding season is about 3x as long lol

Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by R Dub
That's awesome man. How was you butt after that long ride?
my butt's fine, the Corbin seat really makes a huge differences..just stand up or stops once in a while to stretch and drink.

Originally Posted by CHRlS
Are you from there? Im from Anchorage. Born and raised. moved to Indiana in 2006 though. The riding season is about 3x as long lol
no, i was born in Cali, moved up here in 02, im now 20

Old 08-07-2012, 02:37 AM

story

Being that I live in Alaska already, kinda makes it easy for me tour this awesome state.

Starting next week I'll be touring the northen of alaska on my 600rr .

I'll keep ya posted, and get pictures up soon on the trip and how I set up the CBR for touring.

This adventure starts August 1st- 7th 2012

One major attraction on this tour will be riding up to the Arctic Circle.

this is the basic on the route i'll be riding;

Name:  tourmaoo.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  83.1 KB

day 1, i woke up a bit earlier than what i had set my alarm to.being very excited to start my adventure ride, the time was around 6 am.. i believe. i suited up ate a quick breakfest and i was on the road by 6:30.
with already a full tank of gas, i depart anchorage with no fueling, the weather was, cloudy and a bit rainy.. well yes it was wet, but i was warm and dry. with proper gear , i embrace this awesome Alaskan weather.

the time had read and my odo was ..when i left my house.
Name:  IMG_5417.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  59.2 KB

Simple 40- 45miles cruise up north, as all the commuters are making there way south on the glenn highway.
45 miles ish into the trip i top off my gas in Palmer,AK.
stomach acted up, so also took a momment to recycle :bootyshak

thru a leg over and back on the road, next stop would be in Eureaka, which is in between palmer and Glennallen..

this photo was taken sometime in between that , as i stop and drink and took photos, also tried out my $10 slingshot i bought just incase i got bored. wasnt very good at aiming..

Name:  IMG_5418.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  136.8 KB

back we on the CBR. ...weather had gotton dry at this point .

nice in quiet in Eureka, stay there for no more than 10 mintutes , fuel up and took a few shots and back on the road north towards Glenallen.
Name:  IMG_5420.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  117.7 KB
Name:  IMG_5423.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  85.5 KB
Name:  IMG_5424.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  128.0 KB
TIME: 11am, 181 miles into the tripe, pulled into Glennallen, fuel up and ate a few snacks.

also meet a few other riders, two cruiser guys , i believe form Ohio and somewhere and another harley guy who was riding from Tennessee(headed toward Valdez as well to catch the ferry ride).

those two cruiser guys weren't actually together , but the story was they met somewhere upper north, and they were actually heading towards Anchorage so the tag along, BUT one of guys starter on his bike has failed on him, so the other one was pushing him to start. funny. they were deff done for the day and was ready to get some rest. the Starter issue guy's bike had over 200k miles..with its original starter.

back on the road as i fuel up .

next stop was to the campground which is about 40 miles from Glennallend and about 79 miles from valdez..so it was kindA between.

Reached Tosina lodge and setup my camp, weather was cloudy but nice and dry. food,fuel, and such services was available here, tent camping was also free.

Name:  IMG_5459.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  105.5 KB

i have decided to setup up camp first and then unload some of my stuff and the head towards valdez. After settling down and ate a bit. i head towards Valdez. time was probably around pm ish.

it was another 80 miles till i reached Valdez, as i gotton close to Thompson pass, and the mountains...wet..wet..rain. heavy rain started pourng...this is going to be fun!!

miles mile i ridden next to the Alaska Pipeline, which carries oil all the way from Prudhoe bay and ends at Valdez , the scenic ride was awesome, but would had been much better if it was dry and sunny

didnt see much wildlife as i expected, but as i was heading towards valdez, a moose did cross my path, saw him about 200 feet away and gave him "break"

by now i am riding in rain and passing thru Thompson pass..which has an 2k feet elevation(refer to pics), honestly i didnt felt like if me and my bike was that high, but oh man the scenic was nice, lots and lots of vegetation, felt like as if i was riding the moutains in Iceland. ..but again there was tons and tons of rain so i really didint stop much and take picture. was way to wet, that really killed it i think...ohh and as ya can see on the pics, there was lot of time where the road got really misty and fogging white, visibility was low.

my Arai kept foggin up . shame on Arair. so i kept the lid 1/4" open , oh and why cant helmets have battery operate visor wipers..?:retard:

Name:  IMG_5455.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5454.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5445.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  128.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5444.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  141.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5436.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  86.3 KB

Valdez

arrived , and it was still raining , honestly i didint do much. just hung around for a bit and also went to the laundry mat and dry up my gloves cause water got in it a bit.

it was a nice small town tho.

Name:  IMG_5448.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  151.2 KB

behind me is the AK pipeline;

Name:  IMG_5463.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  184.4 KB

Left Valdez and head back to camp, sleep the night and got ready for Fairbanks. :cruising:

day 2

got lazy, and slept a bit longer, woke up around 8 am and pack and loaded up the cbr.

now it was back to Gennallen for fuel and take off north to Fairbanks.

so i then fuel up, plan was to stop in a town call Paxson, then stop in Delta Junction and the arrived at Fairbanks...

again this was a scenic ride with just little minor construction going on, as i rode and arrive at Paxon. come to find out there gas pump was out of order, and i was like oh shoot were dead..this was half way into the stretch already and the next gas stop wasnt till delta Junction which was another 80-90 miles ish. .i had a 1 gal gas jug ,but while at Glenallen i didnt fill it up cause i have thought that i wouldnt need it. at this point i was like we are going to gun all the way till we reached delta jct of until the bikes runs out of fuel... and FYI this stretch from Glennallen to Delta was 150 miles ..according to Google maps,

and then the weather turns to crap.. more rain and fog.. which again killed the scenic drive and again i felt like i was in Iceland riding thru the beautiful mountains.

i then see the sign. it read Delta Junction 60 miles.

i look at my gas gauge and i have 2 out of the 7 bars left on my gas read.

im just thinking , i am going to be stranded soon.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:46 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Absolutely brilliant !!!
Wish we had more threads like this.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:54 AM

left with about 20 ish mile, my last bar on my gas gauge has started blinking.

all at the end ive reached Delta jct with little gas, lucky me!!

Name:  IMG_5466.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  182.2 KB

From delta , wasnt much, just fuel myself up and the bike, and took off to Fairbanks.. which was another 90 ish miles west.. weather had gotton dry, thanks goodness.

Again, on the road..a moose and its calf crossed my paths, but there was plenty of time to give them to cross.

by the time ive reached fairbanks, i think,,..think the time was around alte afternoon. like 4pm or someN.

first thing i did was stop at Mayflower buffet and fill myself up, yum food.

then headed towards my camping sie; Chena riverside campground,, a bit pricey imo, it was $17 per night for tent camping, but all good, they had drinkable water, wifi and nice clean restrooms..
set up camp ...

Name:  IMG_5476.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  200.7 KB

behind me was another gentlemen (harley cruiser).. i believe he rode from Utah, spoke to him and he was also heading to the Arctic circle the next day as me.

after camp was set up, i rode to the Pioneer park, its an historical park , was pretty awesome,. kinda made me wish the town was still like how it look back then

Name:  IMG_5478.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  119.5 KB

Quick Reply: Most Northern CBR