Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Bikers against school bullying -charity run 8.9.2014

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:07 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bikers against school bullying -charity run 8.9.2014

Had a good reason to skip work today to take part at the event. They`ve been touring all around Finland for some time now and when I heard they are coming near me I just had to go too. They were in Lahti once before in another school but I found out of that just a few days late, so when this one popped up I immediately took the day off from work.

The name of the event is MKKV, or Motoristit KouluKiusaamista Vastaan, which is the same as the headline in a more known language. To my knowledge we broke the record with 105 participating bikes. Many had took either the morning or the whole day off to come here, the farthest bikes I heard of cad came from Turku which is about 220km away, they said they rode most of the trip in a fog so thick they could only see one bike ahead of them.

From the service station that acted as the starting point of the rally. Pissed off one semi trucker that was parked behind the hedge cause the bikes blocked it`s path for a while and he was forced to wait until we took off.

This guy came to the spot right after me and we hit it off right away, guess you do meet the nicest people on a Honda Told him about this forum, we`ll see if we`ll see him here after a while.

What suprised me was that when we were getting ready to leave a police car came to the station, and after a while of chatting with the organiser they cleared a path for us to the school. A few bikes almost hit one soccer mom in a minivan cause she kept pushing to the crossroads cause she had green lights even though the cops had closed the roads, one of the polices had to go stand in front of her showing the stop sign until she believed...

At the school getting the bikes parked. There was quite a rumble in the yard as the sound of over a hundred bikes, mostly customs, echoed back from the concrete walls.

Bikes, and bikers, of all shapes and sizes. I was quite surprised and pleased to see so many lady bikers amonst the lot.

In the school gym many possible new pistonheads...

...as well as a few old ones...

The "father" of the initiative, Jompe Vuopio, handing a mailbox to the school principal where bullied kids can go drop letters that will then be read and discussed over with the motorists, parents and if need be, social workers. Couldn`t get a better pic cause the open windows messed up the camera and using the flash came back from all the reflectors in the riding gears There were about 45mins of speeches from different bikers about bullying and their experiences around the subject after which we moved to the parking lot for a meet&greet with the kids. They were let to sit on the bikes and rev the engines for some time, a few kids had a go on my bike too. Was scared stiff they tip it so I had to support it some but luckily nothing happened. Managed to get a pretty nasty headache cause all the HD guys got into a little race with each other about who has the loudest pipes so the whole yard was covered in exhaust fumes and an infernal racket for at least 15mins.

A nice morning supporting a worthy cause IMO. Being bullied pretty badly myself in school, if we managed to prevent even one kid from being bullied then the event has been succesful. And even if not at least we are showing them we care.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:05 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good one, Matty. It looks like it was a pretty successful event!

Old 09-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Great event. Bikers are great people.... for the most part.

At first, by reading the title, I wondered why bikers would be against a charity run. That's what they live for! LOL

Old 09-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha should have put a -line there but forgot...

EDIT: oh wait, I`m a mod! Done