Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Alaska To California: June 2013

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:54 AM
January 2012 AND 2013 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ haha me tooo! I plan to leave next Friday after I get off work ... Damn stoke.

Update:

About 7 days till I take off fellows. The bike is fully prepare, new tires.. Etc.

And this is how she sit as of now. Justin missing the tank bag.
Name:  image-68.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  136.5 KB

Right now the Cassiar hwy in Canada is closed due to flooding, but if it doesn't open up once i take off. I already have plan B, take highway 97. A bit longer and I'll be I'm Canada for a bit , but oh well. I'll keep ya posted .

Old 06-01-2013, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow! Best of luck with your journey. Remember if you are tired, STOP!

Bike looks loaded too

What is the rope tied from the mirror? Is that to the camera mount? My point is be cautious of ANYTHING that could become loos and get into the wheels/brakes/chain etc.

Keep us posted on your progress - I'm subscribed

Cheers, SB

Old 06-01-2013, 05:31 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ummm best of luck on the trip man - sounds a blast..

Looks like a lanyard for the cam mount Seb

Ya might want to bring a wide flat galv electrical box cover for the kick stand up there
the crushed can disappear in that muddy mess up there this time of year

Old 06-01-2013, 06:35 PM

Yeah, that's just an old shoelace used as the tether for the Gopro suction cup. It's tied up good. I just kept it loses a bit for slack.

Deffineitly will rest when I get tired, my rule is also to avoid any night riding as well. But being up in Alaska and upper Canada, I should have daylight till midnight this time of the year.
All the weight feels like riding 2up. Not so bad, I've adjusted the suspension a bit
Trip soon to depart. I'll keep ya posted.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:36 AM

Day 1.

I left Anchorage, and took off to Tok, AK
it was a 320 ish miles ride up north before getting to the canadian bordor,,
weather was super weird as always. went thru rain and back to sun.

Ended sleeping at Thompson Eagle Campground in Tok.
First day, honestly did got a bit sore, but all tuff out now, and some reason i get sleepy and droswsy once the weather is all nice and sunny :retard:

Name:  GOPR0011.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  81.4 KB

Name:  GOPR0012.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  G0170043.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  69.0 KB

the trip continues... uploading more pics. and will detail up more later.

btw Canada is a big place.:drunk:

nuttynu signing off from an Inn in Prince George BC,CA---good night. duecess:banger:

Name:  IMG_9781.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  32.9 KB

Old 07-01-2013, 01:37 AM

Name:  GOPR0018.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  105.4 KB

A little detail day one,

this was the first camp of the trip at eagle's camp ground in Tok, Alaska. plain and simple. the camp was dedicated for motorcycle enthusiast.

Name:  IMG_9727.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  136.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9726.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  135.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9729.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9732.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  107.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9733.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  127.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9730.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  151.6 KB

I ended being the only at the camp

-----------------------
Day two-

woke up around 5 or 6 am, cook some ramen and some soup and headed east towards the Canadian border(90miles).Weather was pretty chill and was dary at least..

Name:  GOPR0025.jpg
Size:  81.9 KB

as i rode , Alaska' was in the rear view.

goodbye .

Name:  IMG_9737.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  134.6 KB

& HEello,

Name:  image.jpg
Size:  118.0 KB

UNTIL next stop i get to Wi-fi, i'll update.

FYI-im actually around day 4, just posting in a little bit late.

currently headed south to Seattle.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 AM

As Soon as we got into Canada, the Alcan highway was petty rough for the first day.
I left Tok, AK and ended up somewhere around the Cassir hwy by the end of the day.

pretty easy day, weather was in my favor, and it stay dry most of the day, but there was also time where it rain a bit. didnt hurt me much. and keep me cool actually.

Name:  IMG_9740.jpg
Size:  73.6 KB

Name:  IMG_9748.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  73.2 KB=

Name:  IMG_9749.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  IMG_9751.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  112.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9753.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  133.3 KB

most of the Gas stop along the way Till Whitehorse was all old school pump. they mostly had only reg 87, and gas wasnt much and issue at all. the bike was able to do over 160 miles a tank with the extra fuel jugs i had along too.

Saw tons of bike heading to Alaska, from hogs, GS, Goldwings, and al ot of them were hauling their trailer.

No wildlife crossed my path, but i did see black bears on the side of the roads.

Once I arrived into Whitehorse, i fuel up and also fuel myself up.
Canadians driver are SPEEDERS, WOW,
im cruising at the speed limit and these people are flying by like crazy, also never saw much Troopers on the road, this may be why.

Whitehorse was a nice little place, i didnt look around much , but will plan to on the way back.

the weather was dry and smoking hot, with all the rain gear i was sweating like a pig. had to layer off some.

after i left that city, the final destination for the day was to get some where near Watson Lake to camp for the night.

i cruise & cruise.... the highway seem like it'll never end and there is just so much to see, you be surprise how long it'll take you to get to one town to another.

the ride from Whitehorse to somewhere near the Cassiar hwy was nice, we met some roads where there was loose gravel, and unpaved. By the time i finally reach the beginning of the Cassiar hwy. it was late 10 pm already . i found the little place off to the side and said screw' we're sleeping here tonight.

Name:  IMG_9755.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  111.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9757.jpg
Size:  176.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9758.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  101.4 KB

Waking it up wanst so bad, it was a bit chilly when i woke up around 6am. but ive notice it got warm pretty quick.

oh and once in the Yukon , the time was now an hour ahead from Alaska's time.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:40 AM

Day 3, long way to go till we get to California...sigh.

woke up and broke up camp, sheesh does sucks went things are kind wet. The tent was moist from the cold air.

As we got into riding the Cassiar hwy, few things to consider.This hwy was much narrower and was crappy as hell for half of it. lots of bumps from the frost heave and tons of pothole to sink a tire in.

Dont ride into any water puddles, and always look back to make sure that nothing flew off. i had to off my Gaterade drinks that got lost somewhere. lol.

During the morning, we did run into some fog, and visibility was with in 30 feet or so only.
Not much crazy wildlife here, just a few black bears here and there .

Name:  IMG_9762.jpg
Size:  82.4 KB

The next little town i came upon on was Jade city, they DO NOT have gas. as the locals and it was another 75 miles till Dease LAke, where gas and other services was available .

this place was a nice store with tons of jade, and kinds of rocks and design.

Name:  IMG_9759.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9760.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9763.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  126.7 KB

Not much tourist activity yet they said till july and August, i stop and grabbed coffee and was back on my way south.

75 ish miles later down the road, i arrived at Dease Lake, fuel up ad grabbed a quick bite and was back down the road.

Again weather was nice and toasty,started to see more traffic that was coming up to Alaska .

Name:  IMG_9765.jpg
Size:  87.7 KB

used my Packjack and lube the chain. been thru some tuff mile ey.

Name:  IMG_9764.jpg
Size:  41.5 KB

Old 07-01-2013, 01:40 AM

After we left Dease Lake, the section of the hwy got much much better, not much post holes and the road was just amaziing, lots to see.

black bears would pop out on the side of the roads once in a while, but bever crossed my path, a small bird on the other hand almost flew right into my face. Like WTF!!

any who, next gas st0p we arrived to was Bell 2 Bridge,, something like that,
i met another rider name Art, he was also just cruising down south, didnt have a plan really, just riding as he goes, i believer he's from the Yukon tho.

Name:  IMG_9769.jpg
Size:  92.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9770.jpg
Size:  86.7 KB

by this hot time, bugs were getting killed everywhere..

Name:  IMG_9772.jpg
Size:  79.8 KB

i stopped inside the lodge and order me some lunch, Art was already finish eating and took off already , off course he said that i'll catch up with him..

-----------------------

after i finish lunch, it was time to hit the road again. im just glad the day was great. we coast the Cassiar hwy , and its just an amazing road, keep in mind tho , this road does take longer than the Alcan hwy,which i plan to take that route back home, to see both side of the hwy.

Kitwanga, was the last stop on the Cassiar highway.

and yup, there was Art (slow poke), we gas up, an headed towards south.

Yellow head highway was now what we were riding on. it leads from here to Prince George, started seeing more traffic, and also there was more service station being available.

Name:  IMG_9773.jpg
Size:  84.3 KB

Name:  IMG_9775.jpg
Size:  124.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9776.jpg
Size:  111.3 KB

Old 07-01-2013, 01:41 AM

Art and i rode and rode, it rain for a while here and here..and we past a lot of little town, which slow us down a bit,

as i started headed towards PRince George, Art called it a night and stop some where .. it was about 60 mile till the destination.

by the time it got around 9pm, i have notice the sun was setting , and it was going down Quick, something that would had never happen in Alaska . haha

so i rode along myself, and got stuck at nigh riding. high beam was on, and sheeeszz these wild life creature besta' not pop out on my path.

late night arrival into Prince George, was to late and dark to even find camp and setup up. so i settle into a motel room.

Name:  IMG_9778.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9780.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  42.1 KB

a nice little room after a long day of riding was well worth it.

oh!! and a HOT shower, damn it feels goood :banger:

Charge up and went to sleep till 8 am ish.

-------------------------------

Day 4---Prince George BC to WA state.

Woke up and suited up for the long day ahead . the sun was shining and it was an amazing day to ride.
packed up and saddle the bike back up, i also took some of the towels they had for future use.

before i left,. it was a good time to finally CLEAN the chain. i think we were over 1500 miles into the trip. cleaned & lube and the bike was ready to go.

This stretch was nice now , but also we were now seeing much more city and towns.

Further down the rode, i pulled into South Qesnel at A&w. grabbed some lunch and met a local rider Rick. Chatted for a while and talk about bikes..
he been a cruiser guy and just purchase his new bike.

Name:  IMG_9783.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9784.jpg
Size:  118.5 KB
Name:  IMG_9788.jpg
Size:  106.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9786.jpg
Size:  59.9 KB