Road Trips Post up your road trips here!

LaSalle, IL, USA-Hegler/Carus Mansion

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LaSalle, IL, USA-Hegler/Carus Mansion

So my pillion has been indicating a willingness to try some longer rides, if I can find something she's interested in as a destination to ride to. Living in the far south suburbs of Chicago this presents a bit of a challenge, since we're not much for going into the city (where there are lots of interesting things to see) for a variety of reasons, traffic and gunfire among them.

So some research showed that a state route near us, IL Rt. 6, has a reputation for being one of the most scenic and curvy in the area. Consisting of mostly 'old' two lane highways that were superseded when I-80 was constructed, it runs through some small towns, and yet has reasonably high speed limits for most of its length.
Map

Since our tourism tastes range essentially from 'dry' to 'outright boring' (see Battle Ground, IN thread for proof), my wife was thrilled to find that Rt 6 would take us directly to the Hegler-Carus mansion in LaSalle, IL.

The mansion belongs to a foundation now, but the 57 room, 16,000 ft. home was originally built by the Hegler family, who owned and operated the country's largest zinc mine, about 160 years ago. (Pretty old for anything in this area of the states; in fact, the oldest building I've ever been in in Illinois.) It housed them and their son-in-law's family, the Carus', up until 2004, and members of the family were astounding in their genius and productivity:
  • Carus himself hosted D.T. Suzuki for 11 years at the home, essentially introducing eastern philosophy to the US.
  • Carus created a publishing house focused on philosophy 100 years ago, and it continues today.
  • A descendent invented, and the family's factory is still the producer of, the main ingredients in most water filters (like the Brita.)
  • A descendent created the 'Cricket' series of books for children.
  • Another descendent invented spell check for computer programs.
They also had other revolutionary ideas more than 100 years ago, like paying their servants a living wage, including health insurance and tuition reimbursement!

The mansion itself has only begun to be renovated, with the exterior largely done. The interior remains as it was for more than 150 years, with hand painting, solid curly and birdseye maple woodwork and gold-leaf wallpaper. (Sadly, no photos were allowed inside.) A knowledgeable tour guide leads a one hour tour that includes all the history of the family and the home's construction.

Even in the near 100 degree heat, it made an interesting destination for a wonderful ride.
Name:  AnnieatMansion.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  189.9 KB
My wife insists that I mention here that those are heavily padded riding pants.
Name:  MansionLaSalle.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  103.9 KB
Name:  AnnieMansionPorch.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  121.6 KB
Name:  LarryatLaSalleMansion.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  130.6 KB

Old 08-27-2012, 05:07 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Larry - Thanks for taking the time to write-up and share. Great to learn where other members ride and what they get to see. Fabulous photos too!

Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, thanks for sharing w/ us Larry.

Tell your wife - its all good - we know riding pants aren't always used on the red carpet. ;-)

That's a really interesting house. It really looks huge. Nice that its being preserved & well taken care of.

I often go on 'exploring' rides w/ no destination planned. Its really amazing what you can find.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looked like a nice day for a ride and an interesting destination. Great local Illinois history lesson!

Most of my rides have me in search of dinner ingredients (I've been known to go 300 mi. R/T for only the freshest onions). I should change that up for your kind of ride

Keep sharing!