Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Does anyone else regret starting on a 600?(cbr600rr)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/noob-drop-99030/

So don't feel bad about the drop. Glad you're having fun. Wait till you have the "I GET IT!" moments. That's when cheer in your helmet over doing something

Old 02-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tkddns308
.... I did drop my bike(LOL) at a stoplight but luckily, I was the only one at the light(i think no one saw me drop it) so it wasn't too embarrassing.
Human nature being what it is, the first thing we do is look around to see if anyone saw us! Not are we hurt or is the bike scratched up, but did anyone see us in a moment of embarrassment. LOL No big deal, most of us have done something similar at some point in time whether we admit to it or not. Sounds like you're off to a good start. Ride smart and ATGATT.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just started riding this month on a CBR F4i (took MSF course immediately preceding getting the bike). My approach is just to take things slow enough such that my brain is never behind the bike - that's the goal anyway! Learning some obvious things along the way - oh, so if you accelerate in a turn the bike wants to stand up... But, so far so good!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still say that all of my years bombing mountainbike trails, skateboarding and bmx made stepping onto a motorcycle feel pretty natural. If the mechanical parts of riding like clutch/brake etc are terrifying, then it probably isn't for you. I also have owned multiple manual transmission cars over the years, and simply having that skill set hardwired makes thinking about that part of the operation something that takes minimal focus. I didn't learn on a 600 though. I had a buddy drop his Fz1 off at the house one day and told me to go get my endorsement. He left it there that whole winter. I rode responsibly into the spring, put a new battery in it for him, and bought my F2.

I washed the girl up this past weekend and put the first good ride in months on it - and I found once I came into a corner about 10 mph hotter than I intended, and off the line just due to cobwebs. My brain didn't say "BRAKES!!!!" - it said "THROTTLE BACK AND LEAN!!!". It's that type of response that if you don't learn it early on and get it in there good and ingrained, might be better off hanging the for sale sign out there while you're ahead.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
... If the mechanical parts of riding like clutch/brake etc are terrifying, then it probably isn't for you...
The above thought makes tons of sense to me. I'm new to the F4i (just a few months) but also grew up understanding things clutch/brake. Still doing occasional dumb things like trying to start up from a stop light in neutral and such (real ego boosters are these things), but haven't gotten an urge to grab the brakes in a corner. I am generally trying pretty hard to keep my brain ahead of what the bike is doing at all times, somewhat difficult the first couple of rides but something that seems doable at this point.

Still, I'm wondering what to do about the x-factor of someone else's stupidity. Later this weekend after my ride I was in full sized pickup going through a green when not one, not two, but three cars all left turned in front of me, forcing me to use the anti-lock brakes. If these geniuses couldn't see me in the GMC Sierra, how the heck are they gonna see a CBR? I think not.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:58 AM

I started on a CBR900RR. One year later and 6,000 miles in the rear view mirror and no issues for me.

It's pretty obvious this guy is trolling, people...

Old 05-06-2014, 03:48 PM

I'm glad all my friends with riding experience discouraged me from buying a 250cc as a starter bike. So far I think I've managed my 600 quite well for a beginner with zero experience. 1000 miles in my first week of ownership and riding as my daily and zero drops, close calls, or whoopsies.. Hell I was born to ride dammit!

No regrets.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:08 PM

I started on a 600, & I loved it. My first time riding was on an R6 and it was just a couple laps around a parking lot. Then, 5 years later, I bought a CBR600

Old 08-16-2017, 03:57 PM

I started on a 600 F4i and i love it. So yes, u can start on a 600 if you are able to know your limits.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I hear you bro

Originally Posted by tkddns308
Hello, I'm a new rider, and I'm making this post because I want to ask if anyone regrets starting off on a 600cc SS motorcycle. Although I LOVE my new cbr600rr I regret buying her so much and wish I could switch to a smaller bike. PLEASE IF YOU HAPPEN TO BE A NEW RIDER AND YOURE READING THIS, PLEASE do not buy a 600 for your first bike. The bike is absolutely terrifying, and is NOT meant for a beginner rider like like you and me. Please, please, please do yourself and your loved ones a favor and buy a lower displacement bike. Again, I regret this bike so much! Please don't make the same mistake I did!

I ended up with this 600rr because I found it on sale(cost $600 less than the cheapest ninja250 on craigslist!) and if I could go back, I would have grabbed the ninja 250 for $2400 instead. The cbr600rr is just too much. The bike is not something to learn on, it's Absolutely terrifying and leaves almost margin for error. Every time I ride this bike, I feel like I fighting for survival. I'm always focused on throttle, clutch, and braking control, rather than enjoying the bike or watching for other hazardsand cars on the road.

But I can't lie, I do feel "cool" because I've started out on a 600, and I can't lie that my ride looks super sweet as I look at it before every time I ride it. But, as a 19 yr old kid who dreams of taking the bike to the track and racing one day, this bike is certainly the wrong bike for me(for now).

As much as I do my best to respect the bike, I "ride within my limits" and I'm not "crazy with the throttle", I've learned within these past two weeks of owning this bike that there's much more
Factors in learning how to ride a bike safely and responsibly.

Man, I wish I could ride a ninja 250 so badly. I should have listened to everyone on the forums, I'm sorry I didn't listen. Please just pray that I won't get hurt or run into any tough Situations. please if anyone, even one person, reads this post, I'd be grateful.

And please, please, please, if you know someone who wants to start riding, make sure they start out on a smaller displacement bike! I don't want anyone else to ever go through my first motorcycle experience! I am NOT, I repeat, NOT enjoying my first motorcycle experience at all!
It's past midnight at the moment, and I just can't fall asleep because of how much my bike scares me!! Ahh! If anyone reads this post, thank you so much!

I just started on a 600 as my first bike too.. And you're right... It's terrifying at times. Mainly that I'm still learning that the handle bars are pretty much useless in steering. But so addictive 👍😁.
Wish me luck. And pray for me 🙏

Quick Reply: Does anyone else regret starting on a 600?(cbr600rr)