Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Corners: Speed / Gear Guidelines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Not quite. It's the abrupt regaining of traction that'll highside you. Or if the rear is fishtailing, doing so when the rear is drastically out of line with the front.

Easing off the rear brake, instead of yanking your foot off like you stepped on a hot coal, will work. There's a really good article I rear recently about high sides that explains this. But I'm waiting of the author's permission to upload first
Ok, that sounds similar to the using the front brake while cornering then, as in it's best left for more advanced/skilled/experienced riders. I've locked my rear a few times in parking lots practicing quick stops and my reaction has always been to let off b/c that's what I do on my dirt bike. Obviously the lower speed and the fact that I'm not sliding around on the rear makes it easier to keep it under control, but I don't want to risk a high side.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chambers
Ok, that sounds similar to the using the front brake while cornering then, as in it's best left for more advanced/skilled/experienced riders. I've locked my rear a few times in parking lots practicing quick stops and my reaction has always been to let off b/c that's what I do on my dirt bike. Obviously the lower speed and the fact that I'm not sliding around on the rear makes it easier to keep it under control, but I don't want to risk a high side.
The MSF teaches the safest techniques for an inexperienced rider to use to get out of trouble. Leaving the rear locked gives the rider one less thing to think about. And a locked rear tire will never regain traction, as in it will not begin to roll in a new direction which pushes the bike into the new direction while you continue in the old one (up, up and away). The rear may completely slide out, causing a low side. But that is preferable in their eyes.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:39 AM
August 2011 ROTM

If I ever find myself going too fast for my comfort level while cornering, and I really want to slow down, what is the best way to do it?

On of the book I read, I think it was Total Control, said to practice rolling on and off throttle very very slightly for I believe cornering skill. I have to look it up what that was for.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:01 PM

Actually in the corner? I'd prolly go with rear brake first. Rolling off the throttle is going to unsettle the bike more than the rear brake. If you're not smooth enough, the front end is gonna dive. Which could push it past traction limits. And it will move more weight to the front than a quick tap on the rear brake will

Tapping the rear brake will be more stable imo. But this is my opinion and comfort here. It's what I do. But not necessarily the only way

Old 01-21-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
If I ever find myself going too fast for my comfort level while cornering, and I really want to slow down, what is the best way to do it?

On of the book I read, I think it was Total Control, said to practice rolling on and off throttle very very slightly for I believe cornering skill. I have to look it up what that was for.
To answer your question:
Beautiful Throttle Work By Davo Johnson - Bikerpunks.com
NO idea how this is physically possible, not a good answer.

now my actual post:

DONT THINK! RELAX! comit... granted thats how my last bike died... does not help for bambi.

Have you ever felt that you went in to hot in a decreasing radius turn?
Have you ever ridden a bike in the dirt so you wont freak every time you slip a little?
Leaned into a turn, have you had the tires bounced off the ground where the asphault was pushed up?
Have you had/shaken your handlebars to create(ing) a mini tank slapper?
Have you scraped a peg?
While leaning in a turn have you had the bike unsettle causing your hand to slip off the throttle, chopping it closed, and throwing(standing) the bike upright?
Mordeth13 hello kitty wave while leaning in a turn.
^all questions above are squidly behavior that can quickly and easily end your riding career, if not just damage your bike. however all very real scenarios for a spirited ride, that if you are out of your comfort level and panic WILL end badly.

Yumon several of your posts in this thread combined with your videos makes me go. lots of great information in this thread and more knowledgable and experienced posters, however above are some personal scenarios where a limited comfort level will end badly. Had i froze or panicked, and not placed my faith in bridgestone, honda, and god(fate etc), I would be in a wheel chair. There is a difference between committing, and beleiving you are a pro and invincable. PLEASE lie and tell us you will be practicing in a properly controlled environment, and not the street.

"I have to look it up what that was for."
Really? go take a quick left turn through and intersection in first gear, and you should be able to answer, if you dont wreck.

Sorry i dont have a real answer to your question yumon. Thanks for the very(overly generic) open questions that will get people to think. honestly i think the scope for a full answer is well beyond what you can get on an internet forum.

hopefully people dont disect this and my other posts kick me off the board and tell me to go buy a camry and drive below the speed limit everywhere. My dumbassery has reduced a lot since july.

good little reality check: not really doing anything wrong, besides complacency.
V-Strom Crash - January 19, 2012 - YouTube

Kurisho: i learned some thing in your posts thank you.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:36 PM

No worries. That's sorta what I'm here for

Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 Kuro....feel the rear brake.....easing throttle abruptly will unstable the bike/lost of power...bars stiff up...especially in lower gear at a higher rpm...but unfortunately, this is the most common reaction. Another common reaction is grabbing the clutch lever too...

When in a corner, margin of error narrows Vs. Straight away.

Great thread BTW.....Tks

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Actually in the corner? I'd prolly go with rear brake first. Rolling off the throttle is going to unsettle the bike more than the rear brake. If you're not smooth enough, the front end is gonna dive. Which could push it past traction limits. And it will move more weight to the front than a quick tap on the rear brake will

Tapping the rear brake will be more stable imo. But this is my opinion and comfort here. It's what I do. But not necessarily the only way

Old 01-22-2012, 03:20 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Once in 3 years so far, my body got throw up in the air hitting metal plate while in turn. Car on next lane slowed down so I could go into his lane. I don't really go on dirt are or gravel area because for me, standing on those ground will most likely to drop my bike if my feet ever slip.

My last Hanauma bay video from group ride, you can tell I roll off the throttle mid way because I was going faster than I normally do and I got scared when on coming car started to come.

So what do you suggest where rider with limited comfort level ride? sounds like regular streets are not a good place

PS.. I do tend to hang out in left brain more than right brain....

Old 01-22-2012, 04:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Yum,,
Glad your ok ..
Yeah regular streets not good.. out open beautiful highways better. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this before but there is a nice little trick with the "masterful use of the very underrated back brakes". when your about to approach a corner/bends, adjust your speed or gear down if you have to but try to balance the rev's to a slight drag on the back brakes,maintain a constant speed , go into the bend and when you start to come out of the bend you release any resistance from back brakes and power out. It makes corners/bends more accurate and fun to take. it changed my riding style when a racing dude mate of mine told me about it. took a little practice but then becomes second nature.

Last edited by horse_power777; 01-22-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 AM

Not sure if you've seen these tips before yum but it’s got a good paragraph about corner speed> Tips for cornering on your motorcycle

Quick Reply: Corners: Speed / Gear Guidelines?