Go Back   CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners > General > Riding Skills
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Default Corners: Speed / Gear Guidelines?

Can you give me "guideline" on gear selection and speed doing corners? Like what gear will you be in if you are making the corners at 40, 50 60 etc.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CBRForum!

No Guts No Glory
09 CBR600RR Red/Black
06 GSXR750 Black with Candy Purple
Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Southern Yankee

I dunno if you're gonna get anything except opinion, Yumi. Its gonna vary by bike, rider and skill

Quote:
Our bikes can go from 0 - Stupid in less than "I wonder if this will be a good idea"
Old 01-18-2012, 12:57 AM
August 2011 ROTM

yeah, just opinion or how you guys ride is good. I do my own thing without anybody teaching me. So like I said "guideline"

No Guts No Glory
09 CBR600RR Red/Black
Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 AM

banned, still have myspace boo stalkers wut is this im too cheap ps2 bitches

Yumon,
1st your not at redline yet... or on the other end look at page 56 of your owners manual, when on a flat surface at sea level 0% humidity, 70F, and High pressure.

but depending on what comes after the turn above 50 2nd may actually be better than 1st to save on time shifting, or unsettlign the bike since 99% of riders are not pro enough. this also applies to accelerating through a turn, if your at redline or the limiter are you out of room to accelerate? willl this shoot you off at the tangent to your line? is all that power even useable?

I read nothing of this thread but skimming the first post.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Southern Yankee

Default Corners: Speed / Gear Guidelines?

Split into new thread to separate topic from countersteering thread

Quote:
Our bikes can go from 0 - Stupid in less than "I wonder if this will be a good idea"

Last edited by Kuroshio; 01-18-2012 at 01:43 AM..
Old 01-18-2012, 02:24 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estate4life View Post
2nd gear is good...especially downhill cornering.....sharp corners...in control, holding your line...feels really good to be able to control the machine, and make it do what you want, effortlessly...slow or fast? Don't matter...stay relax, smooth & easy....I think it's like holding the bars like a golf club, if like you are holding a live bird in you palm. You want to hold it so the bird won't fly away...but not too tight, you'll suffocate and kill the bird.
(took estate's response from original thread)

turns around where I took sunrise pics, when I first went around that, I started with 35. I can do 50, but 45 is comfortable for me now. Guys in group ride do them like 60. It's nice to ride with them, but they are gone in front of me, and I really cannot study the line they are taking. So I just do my own thing

No Guts No Glory
09 CBR600RR Red/Black
Old 01-18-2012, 03:16 AM
Official Welcome Crew Estate and February 2012 ROTM

N/A

It shows the maturity in your skills. I believe you're only pushing 75%.... Many newer rider may be pressured to keep up, now that's when things may go wrong. Therefore it is important that we stay in our comfort zone, work our way up.....my comfort zone is being 1 gear under...meaning if the corner can be entered using 3rd gear, I'll go in using 2nd....This has become a habit which I'm very comfortable with...(some rely more on braking). Then find the point within each corner, to open throttle out safely.....I've seen your video Yum...by any means you're NOT slow....& Your line is smooth/crisp.....I'm just **** I'm not there riding on a Sunday... LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumoncbr View Post

turns around where I took sunrise pics, when I first went around that, I started with 35. I can do 50, but 45 is comfortable for me now. Guys in group ride do them like 60. It's nice to ride with them, but they are gone in front of me, and I really cannot study the line they are taking. So I just do my own thing
Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

A lot depends on how many times I've been through a corner. I never try to
street run a corner ***** to the wall. I aproach them all with a judged reserve of
speed. See how well you and the bike do the first time and then start (incrementally)
pick up the pace. Every corner is going to have it's own best speed for you and your bike.

That said, for me, it's more about what rpm i'm pulling. Since I've already crossed that
line of slower reflexes from age, I generally don't wind it out to the top-end much.
I generally sport in the 8-10 grand range. Higher than that (on the streets) the
throttle response becomes too abrupt for me to be smooth. Lower and I'm not making the HP to pull hard as I accelerate.

Ern

*** Please remember that any of my advice is given without the benefit of being there.
*** So it may sound reasonable but could be wrong. I hope not or I wouldn't post,
*** but always keep that in mind when seeking advice on-line.

"It's only paranoid if they, AREN'T out to get you!", Hunter S. Thompson

"Paranoia, a street-rider's best friend.", Ernest P. Bovine
Old 01-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Official Welcome Crew Estate and February 2012 ROTM

N/A

+1 what Kuro said...every bike, rider, road condition, skills varies...therefore it's great to share experiences from each member & we absorb what's suitable.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 PM

banned, still have myspace boo stalkers wut is this im too cheap ps2 bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumoncbr View Post

^this is good.
I am guessing the speed limit is 35, in which case i would highly recommend
1. knowing the road
2. inspecting the road at 10-15 over
3. 80-90%, for some people this is scraping stock pegs, and to others a spirited cruise.

This is based off the speeds you state above.
if you run at 80+% on an unfamiliar road, you will be a cripple.

Depending on if i am pacing the entire route at 1 speed to work on smoothness/lines/corners, or accelerating between turns, i would take speeds like that in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. for how i ride i typically would stay in 3rd, enough power but not too buzzy through that whole range.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 PM

Tags
1995, 600, 600f3, black, blacked, cbr, corners, f3, fr, fun, gear, honda, speed, threw, yellow