Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Road rash

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road rash

I am lookin for a pair of gloves, I would like see if you guys have layed the bike down and needed the gloves for protection and how they actually help up in a wreck rather than just regular use.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definetly, ALWAYS wear gloves. The first thing you do when you fall down?
Put your hands out. Recuperating after a wreck is bad enough, WITH the use
of your hands...Imagine without them.

Personally, I've always worn straight leather with a reinforced palm.
That's the place I've always seen wear/scuffing in a 'get-off'.

Of course, all of the street armor has come outsince I got most of my gear,
in the 80's and 90's. While some of it looks pretty tasty, I haven't felt the
need to replace my current (carefully tended) gear.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good quality gloves will pay for themselves in both long lasting durability & protection w/ better materials & construction. Simply put, don't skimp on gloves (or really any gear if you can help it). Also, gauntlet style gloves will protect your wrist more vs short gloves.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Gloves are super personal. For me its all about palms and knuckles, whenever I've gone down that's what takes the hit depending on what side your sliding on.

But I cant stand a rigid bulky glove with 'armor', I go with something with Kevlar in the those areas but I need as much flexabilty as I can get. Plus its hot as hell enough so I stuck with a summer style on the street. I have a set of Teknics now, not sure exactly , might rage or something like that. Pretty good compromise for the street. But you really need to try something on and make sure its not going to effect your riding.

On the track, definitely go full boat.

Last edited by zaqwert6; 12-16-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:23 PM

No gloves. Had a 3 mph dump on a 50cc scooter, still dont have full range of motion on my wrist and if I twist it and put weight on it right still get insanley sharp pain 3.5 years later. couldnt write for 2 weeks, had nice gouges in my palms for a month.

cheopo 20-30 perfed leather cruiser motorcycle gloves. cruising 40-50mph in town, chick changes lane i grab to much front bike, slide roll.- 1/2 inch of stiching came undone, i was mostly ok.

Held air stream, Air Stream <highly reccomended for hot summer riding. 80mph low side on the street, couple little scratches in the plastic knucklez, and have to look really hard to tell where the palm slid.

track- go all out full gauntlet.

get some gloves that will cinch around your wrist. try gloves on, where do you think"fit like a glove comes from"?

i would highly reccomend you get reinforced leather gloves. Personally I think that a cheap pair of leather gloves will provide a lot more protection than some of the mesh cloth ones. your palms take most of the blunt trauma, but when your sliding you will contact the ground every which way, think what will happen if the cloth on the back gets ripped.