Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Noobie question on gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noobie question on gear

Hey guys

so My friend and I are dicussing boots vs riding sneaks here are the 2 Im looking at getting a small size in the mens TCX riding sneaker and she is looking at the alpine star boots, she told me that the sneakers arent as good as the boots because they dont have protection.....

Wanted hear what the pros had to say

Shop TCX X-Rap Waterproof Urban Boots @ GP Bikes!

Alpinestars Women's Vika WP Boot - RevZilla

oh p.s were both girls but no ones chatting in the ladies lounge thanks!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Of those two, stick with the boots. I'd keep looking for even better though. You want the most ankle protection possible, and neither of those provide much. They don't seem to have reinforcement for wear on the shifter either.

oh p.s were both girls but no ones chatting in the ladies lounge
Men are not allowed to post in there, that's why!

Old 07-10-2014, 06:40 PM
June 2013 ROTM

+1 on boots. But for that dollar range, why not get a pair of sidi boots or something that will really hold up for all time? SIDI Women's Fusion Lei Boots - RevZilla
Originally Posted by 74demon
oh p.s were both girls but no ones chatting in the ladies lounge
Men are not allowed to post in there, that's why!
Yeah. Women need their own space away from the guys. Otherwise, this happens:
Name:  adult-swim-behind-bush_zps59d39504.gif
Views: 81
Size:  1.63 MB

Old 07-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Be realistic with yourself when buying gear. If the boots stay in the closet because you end up wearing shoes.... don't buy the boots.

I've seen guys who buy nice expensive Sidi track boots, and then wear tennis shoes most of the time and leave the boots at home because they're doing other things that make the track boots less than desirable. Find boots that you like the look of (if fashion matters to you) and get boots that will be practical to wear for when you're doing other activities besides motorcycling (like walking around a museum or festival or something).

But For Sure - Boots > any other kind of footwear for motorcycling. I'd go to a dealership and try different boots on and make sure you're in love with them and will wear them before you buy.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:04 AM

hey thanks for all your input i do want the protection but i also want something practical, I do not see myself hitting the highways anytime soon, more joy riding and city riding maybe.

I dont think track is in my near future lol.

I will try and find a store that actually stocks boots allot of places out here have a ton of mens stuff but womens stuff is hard to find. Especially boots and kevlar jeans. Or all the womens stuff have heels and or flowers and butterflies ugh I want to know who designs womens gear to be honest.

This might be a silly question but how come there isnt any kevlar jeans with leather accents? I would really love to design some womens riding jeans

Old 07-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I would really love to design some womens riding jeans

Go for it. Design it, make it (or have it made), and market it. Everything made started as an idea that someone had out of necessity.

I do not see myself hitting the highways anytime soon, more joy riding and city riding maybe.

City riding is more dangerous than the highway. There are many more cars and hazards to contend with.

Gear up for the worst. You can't over-gear for a ride.

BTW, women look sexy in good gear....

Old 07-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon

City riding is more dangerous than the highway. There are many more cars and hazards to contend with.

Gear up for the worst. You can't over-gear for a ride.
Big ole +1.

There aren't intersections or traffic lights and everyone is going the same direction at about the same relative speed.

I don't know where you're located, but there are shops that specifically sell motorcycle gear. I know in Raleigh, there's a CycleGear store, which only sells gear. There was also a place like that where I lived in FL too. If you have a bigger city close by, chances are you have one.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:45 AM

Thanks guys I went to the store out here in Ontario it's called gp bikes and I got the puma roadsters v3 gtx boots for 199 I thought it was a good deal! But I met some guys there and now want to try dirt biking !!!! I've been taking my bike out around my friends area it's a hwy but the speed limit only goes to 80km, our "freeways" have a 100km speed limit but everyone goes 120 and because we have winter about 70% of the season everyone really goes fast during the summer season I'll ride around some more on these mini hwy until I feel comfy! I'll post pics of my boots can't do it on my phone

Old 07-15-2014, 07:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

littles:
i wanted to stress buying decent gear as well a couple months back when i saw your post in the ladies area.. so i go in there , tell this big long story about losing skin off one of my butt cheeks and after about 10-15 minutes of writing tried to post it with no luck..
funny i didn't know you weren't aloud to post in the ladies area and really my first time in there..but it was killin me no ladies were responding to your post!
anyway didnt want to seem like a stocker and glad you reposted in the general section. all the guys above have given you great info and yes i def agree on the kevlar..
bottom line is, the more gear you put on , the less damage youll do to yourself when someone else runs into you...