Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Modular helmet suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modular helmet suggestions

I'm thinking about getting a modular helmet and was wondering what types you guys would recommend. I would like to find one that has the dark sun shield that slides down behind the main screen and has Bluetooth system in it already or is set up to have one. Color wise I would prefer a really dark gun metal grey color since that's the color I got my bike painted. (I'll try to post pics when I get it back) sorry if my terminology is wrong on anything I'm new to this stuff. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moved to Riding Gear.

Might help if you gave an idea of your budget. I mean this is everything you asked for. But you'll drop about $1100 total (with the bluetooth add on)

Schuberth C3 Pro Helmet - RevZilla

Old 10-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Registered Users
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having owned a number of modular helmets in the past my first question would be about why you want a modular helmet? I'm not arguing about whether not it is good for you, just trying to identify the factors involved as different responses may lead to different answers.

As to Bluetooth, I would advise getting something that is aftermarket and can work with any helmet. My first set of Bluetooth devices failed in about 2 years. If you made me buy a new helmet because of this I'd be extremely upset. On the flip side, if I managed to drop my modular helmet, while the lower was up, causing the hinge to break (ask me how I know this is possible) and force me to pay for another communication device when mine is perfectly functional, I might also get upset.

Choice is obviously yours. I buy them separate.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a Nolan N90 and am really pleased with it, a bit on the heavy side with 1, 6kg but once you get going you don't notice it at all, it has the drop-down sun visor and an anti-fog pinlock in the main visor. No bluetooth though but does have a lid in the side for a Nolan N-com, have it in mine for music listening but when played from my phone even at max volume it's so silent you don't hear it in highway speeds. So my advice would also go towards aftermarket kits.

The only minus about the nolan is the lock switch holding the chin guard up, before you get used to it it's really annoying cause you never remember to lock/open it...

But overall a great helmet and not too costly, paid about 350EUR of mine. Has great vents for summer that can be operated with gloves on, and a detachable flap under the chin guard to lessen the amount of incoming cold air at spring/fall

Last edited by Mattson; 10-02-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$500-$600 budget. And based on what you guys said about the blue tooth I'll just buy that after market. I want a modular because I use my bike for riding to and from class and work and there are a a lot of stop signs and lights. And I just want to be able to open the chin bar and get a breather sometimes because my full face is super hot all the time

Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Well when it comes to Modulars - noise comes more into play imo as there's more seams to create noise

The Nolan n104 is one of the quieter ones , The Shoei Multitech and Bell revolver are
also supposed to be okay

Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 PM

What color is your current lid? Been proven, darker lids are hotter.

The Schuberths ARE expensive. But they're really nice. Haven't grabbed mine yet. But took advantage of a "Try before you buy" for a full face. Extremely quiet compared to my Shoei and great ventilation.

Just a random fact about modulars: allegedly they were originally created as a safety feature: the ability to administer CPR without removing the helmet

Old 10-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Administrator - Retired

I always thought modular helmets liked to spontaneously explode.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought modulars were to smoke a cig going down the road?????

Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Administrator - Retired

Hell, I never needed a modular for that. Full-face or gtfo.

Quick Reply: Modular helmet suggestions