Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Good gloves - need advice

Old 11-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good gloves - need advice

For my birthday I got told I need to pick out a good pair of riding gloves. I have $150 to work with and I want a glove that has real protection against stupid (impact and abrasion). Only thing I can find locally is castle $42 gloves that seem to be all looks and no substance. I will use them from the mid 40*F to the 90s with high humidity. Most of my riding is in the 70*F range. I don't need anything flashy, color is ok but black, or black base with blue or red is preferred.

How do you tell if a glove is the real thing or just a pretender?

Any recommendations?

Good places to shop online?

Old 11-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Motorcycle Gloves - Top Rated and Reviewed Motorcycle Gloves - RevZilla

Go ahead, lose your mind

This video might help a bit on figuring out what to look for in a glove. Given the temps you said you ride in, I'm linking the Summer Glove guide. They also have a Winter version too. Just a small disclaimer though:

As informative as their videos are, Revzilla is still selling things. They're showcasing 5 gloves out of dozens. So don't feel the need to run out and buy the most expensive out there.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knuckle and palm protection is key. After that it's comfort and feel.

the temps you say you'll ride I'd go with a race glove with ventilation. Something like this

BUFFALO BAY LEATHER SUMMER VENTED MOTORBIKE ARMOURED RACING MOTORCYCLE GLOVES | eBay

Not saying these should be the ones you buy, but just to give you an idea as I have no direct experience of these gloves.

I ride all year round, but only for fun. I've only ever used summer gloves and only ride when the sun shines. I have a larger pair of gloves for very cold weather which are much warmer 'cos they're not so tight, but give less feel.

Full winter gloves with lots of padding will give much less feel and may take some getting used to. Though in the temperatures you describe' I wouldn't think you'd need them.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Btw, I use these
Dainese 4 Stroke Gloves - RevZilla

Not all that great right now with the weather in the low 40s. But the perforated leather is great when we hit triple digits last summer

Old 11-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

I really like These. Very comfortable and great protection.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Btw, I use these
Dainese 4 Stroke Gloves - RevZilla

Not all that great right now with the weather in the low 40s. But the perforated leather is great when we hit triple digits last summer
After doing some looking those look like they are my first choice. On sale too, that never hurts. They have a simple go with everything look I want, sound comfortable, have excellent protection. (once the temps get into the 30's the tires start to get scary with little grip, so I tend not to do too much riding in those temps)

Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Member & ROTM AUG 2013

I just picked these up yesterday at cyclegear.com.
I went to local store and got them. They were 69.00 and have lifetime warrenty against defects. They have knuckle guards, and even pads for the palm. I rode 15 miles in them. Fit good, felt good. I like them so far.
Sedici brand gloves.

Attached Thumbnails Good gloves - need advice-p1020485.jpg  
Old 11-24-2012, 11:00 AM
June 2013 ROTM

I ride with these in white
Icon Pursuit Perforated Gloves - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore
Love them. I've ridden in warm and cold weather and never had a problem. Never got cold and never got sweaty. I'll buy another set.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Look up a company called Ricondi. They are based in Australia but have a distributor in Cali. They make awesome gear at great prices. There is a current glove they have that is a limited edition USA glove. All their gear is Kangaroo, which is just as tough as cow but way lighter. You can find them on Facebook. Tell them vfrman from ducati.org sent you.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
I ride with these in white
Icon Pursuit Perforated Gloves - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore
Love them. I've ridden in warm and cold weather and never had a problem. Never got cold and never got sweaty. I'll buy another set.
I use these as well, good to about 50 degrees IMO. Only problems I've found is that they started fading in a couple weeks (red color) and a stitch in the palm came loose after about a month. Got the stitch fixed locally and no other issues, great for hot and warm weather and excellent grip IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good gloves - need advice