Rides Pics of Members CBR1000F's

Revival of a Hurricane. The Phoenix

Old 02-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revival of a Hurricane. The Phoenix

So I got my hands on a 1987 Hurricane 1000F and with the help of friends, members here and Ebay I have almost completed the rebuild. Hopefully I will be riding it this summer. Here is my build log.

Quick history of the bike. The story I was given was that this bike was used in illegal street racing in the Chicago area. After being dumped, hit, flipped, rolled and generally abused by the owner it was removed from his ownership by his mother in 1998 or 1999. The bike sat in storage non-running from then until I was given it in the fall of 2008.

The bike didn't look bad. Keep in mind. I have never worked on a motorcycle. Cars yes. I have also never ridden.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1391881000

https://cbrforum.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1391881320

The bike was pretty messed up. Wiring melted, broken levers, many body panels missing and or damaged. Bolts ripped out of the motor during crashes. General Road Rash. Won't turn over. No keys only a dead man. Generally very poor condition.

So I tore the bike completely down.
-Rebuilt the carbs
-Got the motor to rotate by hand
-Changed the bike to gravity fuel feed due to failed fuel pump relay
-Rewired the entire bike
-Found all of the plastics and a new seat
-Cleaned, repaired and painted the exhaust
-New gas tank due to rust
-Changed clutch, clutch slave and master
-New brake and clutch lever
And much much more.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1391882824

I have been working off and on for years on this project. Never in a hurry. Now it has keys. It starts every time. Sounds AWESOME. And it can drive. It still isn't pretty but it is mechanically sound now.

I still need to fix:
Leaking petcock
Sync the carbs
New Tires, chain and sprockets
Lower the bike

https://cbrforum.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1391882082

https://cbrforum.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1391882082

Beyond that the only thing left is the body. Since I am a novice rider I only plan on plastic dipping the body for the first year. Then the bike will be painted a gloss (or metallic) black with all of the original badges painted on in ghost red or white. The rims will be powder coated black and maybe have Hurricane powder coated in red on two places on each rim.

Here is a video of me driving it after years of work. I am the second rider in the video. It was about 25 degrees or so outside. Bad idle due to non synced carbs and cold weather. Yes I do drop it.

PLEASE HELP ME LOWER IT. I have no idea what I need or how to do it. And I am way too short for this bike but I want to ride it.

Please give me your thoughts and comments. Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to show my ugly monster to you guys so you could see the rebirth of such a machine.

Attached Thumbnails Revival of a Hurricane. The Phoenix-bike-starting-point-1.jpg   Revival of a Hurricane. The Phoenix-bike-starting-point-2.jpg   Revival of a Hurricane. The Phoenix-bike-currently-1.jpg   Revival of a Hurricane. The Phoenix-bike-currently-2.jpg   Revival of a Hurricane. The Phoenix-minnesota-1.jpg  

Old 02-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sorry but lmao. Dude, I think if not all of us, most of us have either dropped a bike in that fashion or while it sat being worked on. Its ok man. Looks a little tall for you as well so thats understandable. Plus, you never really know how heavy it is untill its leaning at 45 degrees and all that weight suddenly comes off the wheels and onto your arms or whatever your using to try to stop it from falling. No worries bro.

Good job on the Resurrection. It seems that you put in a good bit of work, and at the very least, after years and years of working on it you at least have an intermediate mechanical skill level for working on bikes.

As far as lowering it goes, that all comes back to the suspension. Front forks, rear shock/spring. I do not own this bike, nor have ever worked on it. There are MANY guys here who have. But I did stumble upon this link, and here is some raw data that you can use in your attempt to lower the bike. Cheers mate and congrats on getting it running after so many years. It is such a great feeling. I just got my 02 F4i running by myself after it sat for almost 5 years. The feeling is unparalleled.

Mercenary: CBR 1000F Lowering Link - Some Useful Information

-Poss

Old 02-08-2014, 02:44 PM

I don't feel bad about dropping it at all. I got a good laugh at the whole thing. But I need to lower the bike. Quite a bit. I hope everybody gets a good laugh at the video.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:09 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Hi Red, nice to see someone caring for your 'old lady'

Introduce yourself on the Hurricane section and you'll find plenty of help, info and advise.

Link here :- CBR 1000F "Hurricane" - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

We've all dropped one of these, they're very heavy when you stop rolling. Once you're past the 15 degree point at a stand-still, it can be pretty hard to save!

Welcome to the forum

Old 02-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Ouch!

Platform soled sandshoes might be required!

Welcome to the CBR Forum. Very, very difficult conditions for your first ride on any bike let alone a 250kg mother like the CBR1000F!!

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers, SB

Old 02-09-2014, 01:39 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First, I'm sorry but I did laugh at your misfortune in the video, done similar and worse but no one had a camera on me!
Great work getting the ol girl going hope someone on here can help with the lowering for you...I can't

Old 02-09-2014, 11:28 AM

Hey guys thanks for the responses. Hope you all enjoyed the laugh. If I didn't expect you to laugh I wouldn't have posted the video.

Hawkwind - I have introduced myself in the forums. Like 5 years ago when I started this.

I will try to keep this updated with more pics and vids as the bike progresses.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:34 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Originally Posted by Red97tib
Hawkwind - I have introduced myself in the forums. Like 5 years ago when I started this.

I will try to keep this updated with more pics and vids as the bike progresses.
Don't be a stranger

Old 06-27-2014, 09:42 PM

Figured I would update this a bit. I took the motorcycle learners course and had no issues. I got my license on Tuesday.

So here is what has happened on the bike. Had to buy a new Petcock due to the thing having rivets. I synced the carbs. What is the idle supposed to be?! I set it around 1k rpm. I have plasti dipped all of the body pieces except the main cowl. Will be rebuilding the main cowl in the next week or two.

Have some pics.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1403922999

https://cbrforum.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1403922999

Still have a ways to go but am getting there.

Quick questions.
What is the idle RPM supposed to be after the bike warms up?
Does anybody have any of the rubber gromets that hold the body together? I need 2 or 3 of them.
Fuel gauge won't work. Has voltage out of tank and up to instrument cluster but the gauge always reads empty. Ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Revival of a Hurricane. The Phoenix-2014-03-29-15.19.41.jpg   Revival of a Hurricane. The Phoenix-2014-05-04-16.34.52.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Welcome Crew

hi and welcome, I didn't laugh honest, we have all done it before, glad to see your going to look after the old gal, you will get all the help and tips you need from here,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Revival of a Hurricane. The Phoenix