Rides Pics of Members CBR1000F's

knackered cbr....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knackered cbr....

hi,
just bought my first cbr thou. very impressed. stonking motor, old school handling... :-)
i got an '87, with no fairing. in a bit of a state, rattles like a b*st*d at low revs when its cold, rear tyre down to the canvas, chain so knackered that some of the rollers were missing, just leaving the pins, rear sprocket so hooked the bike wouldnt push backwards, the exhaust cans were rotted out of the collector box... you know the kind of thing.

i've stripped the rest of the plastics off, relocated the cdi etc, shortened the seat and subframe, cut a pair of 955i triumph headlights in half and fitted a single one, renthal bars, link pipe from an old car exhaust, titanium tri-oval can off ebay, 6" R1 rear wheel with 180 tyre... work in progress, will fit a new subframe/seat and USD front end at some point....
i realise its not to everyones taste, but it goes, its legal and i enjoy riding it!!!

also just bought another, later one, motor in a frame, £100, might be useful for spares one day....

Name:  20130612_153758_zpsd86a5869.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  84.2 KB

Old 06-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

right on, what are your other plans for it?

Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been through the wars but still fightin' 'em - beauty is in the eye of the beholder and
it's great you are keeping her rollin' man.

Welcome to the Forum

Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i realise its not to everyones taste, but it goes, its legal and i enjoy riding it!!!

At the end of the day it's what YOU like.
Great work so far.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:17 PM

cheers for the comments. TBH i kinda like the industrial, brutal look of it unfaired. i'd like a bigger tank, i do a lot of 200+ mile journeys and its a PITA havin to stop for fuel, fuel gauge is handy tho, not had one on a bike for a while. forgot to mention before, i've also re-drilled the dog bones to jack the back up a bit too.
definately want to cut off and redo the subframe and fit a better looking seat, but all in all i'm pleased with it.
sprung a fuel leak today, float bowls of 3 n 4 are wet, will have to investigate... must do something about the rattle one day, too...

Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgemonkey
i kinda like the industrial, brutal look of it unfaired.
sorta like a Ducati Monster. LOL

Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 AM

rear caliper, front brembo off some scooter/moped, mount in 10mm round. left unpainted on purpose.

dog-legged torque arm to clear R1 wheel and 180 tyre.

binned original bar clamps, new risers, dropped forks thru yokes to match up with the re-drilled dog-bones and jacked up rear end.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Goodness me, that is one bike that has been through the wringer!

Great to see you keeping her on the road.

Keep posting your mods - I'm enjoying it.

Cheers, SB

Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM

new oil and filter, as the old filter split and dumped oil everywhere.....

oil cooler flipped upside down to make room for new 8" headlight, and bracket bent to sit the cooler at 90' to the air-flow, not at a jaunty angle as standard, that's been buggging me for a while now. new front tyre to match rear, and gaiters on the fork leg while it was apart.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 AM

MOT today... (annual roadworthyness test, for my american cousins), failed, but only on (very) slight play in the front wheelbearings, and a crack in the rear tyre valve stem where it goes into the wheel, which could lead to catastrophic failure at 130 (officer) and shows how handy these tests are...
considering the state it was in when i got it, i'm pretty pleased with such simple problems. bearings already ordered, will fix both problems tomorrow.

Quick Reply: knackered cbr....