Private 'Wanted' Classifieds Looking for something? Tell us! But protect yourself when buying or selling ... know who you're dealing with.

New rider... Lookin' for first bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider... Lookin' for first bike

heyoooo,

currently living in miami, fl. had my license for over a year now (still learning). my buddy gave me a 2007 Suzuki DR200SE (stock) to spend some time with 5 months. Got comfy and confident with that bike. He took it back and now I just ride my friends Ninja 650. I just rode it to Daytona for bike week. Took 7 hours on the way up and 5 hours on the way back. Long *** time, I know. We rode up with a friend who had a Bolt with no windscreen and it was our first long term ride so we stopped frequently. During the trip I maxed the bike out a good amount of times on the highway when I had some space and got pretty comfortable.

Im looking to buy my first bike...

Love the way Honda CBR's look and I really trust the Honda name. Ive been looking around craigslist and currently don't have $3-$4k to spend on a used bike (Im pretty sure I want a used bike, pretty sure its the smarterer way to go )

I think in the next few days I am going to head to afew of my local dealers and see what offers they have. See if I test some bikes out... Really dont have much of a clue as to what Im walking into. The idea of a small monthly payment on a new/newer bike, sounds pretty nice... Since I like the fast lane and dont have the money saved up yet.

So I know Im probably posting another newbie thread, so I appreciate anyone reading this and offering any good/not bashing advice. Thank you guys for your time.

Ive read a few things like I should:
-Not buy a bike under 10 years old
-Not buy a bike with more than 30k miles on it

and other stuff that i forgot If i wassss to buy a bike, I would definetly take a friend who has 20+ years riding experience and some valid mechanical experience.

I guess any advice would be great... Or any direction to a bike under $3k that looks decent.

Question:
-I keep reading that I dont need insurance, just good enough health care to meet some requirement (for the state of florida). TRUE?
-average monthly costs for a new CBR600RR???

thanks again for anything helpful...

ride safe

Old 03-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF!

I'm on the other coast of FL, and its true, you don't need insurance. However...

Realise that you could be sued civily for anything that happens in an accident. Even if you're young and don't have many assets, it could put you behind financially to wear you never recover.

And if you don't end up with a race rep, and you have a good record, insurance isn't terrible on motorcycles. And remember, if you finance a bike through a dealer, you'll be forced to carry full coverage.

Seems like you have a good head on your shoulders, so I'm glad to hear you're riding smaller bikes and getting to know 2 wheels correctly.

Glad you enjoyed Daytona, although I can give you some advice - don't get a Blast. I love Buells, BTW, but not the blast. . Who wants half a Harley.... The worst part is trying to sell one, no one wants them. I had an XB9, I loved it and I almost bought a 12 until I found a smoking deal on my Bandit. They're great bikes if you like something different.

And definitely take your friend with you when looking at bikes.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi mate
Jump right in the deep end and find yourself a reasonable cbr1000f

It will be a bike that will carry you forever and fulfil every requirement that you could imagine. These old girls even still turn heads. You certainly don't be sorry and they don't take much getting use to as in handling etc.

Best of luck with your search

Old 08-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts