Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

The story of one neglected Triumph...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattson
Well, apparently no, it weighs 7,5 POUNDS less...
Still, that's a good bit of weight difference, so I'm glad you do like the double swinger better.

Originally Posted by Mattson
Still in horrid shape though, went for a proper test ride today, both levers are bent, ignition lock dust cover plate missing, right side handlebar bent, right foot peg loose, brake pedal bent and cracked, the fan is running all the time whenever the engine is, don`t trust the speedo one bit or I was doing 160km/h in one straight (really wasn`t), the engine fault light is burning and I feel it might be losing some high end power. Something fishy with the handlebars too, hit my thumb on the tank pretty bad while doing a U turn... At least I know something about the riding position, tail`s too high and bars too low, the back of my helmet is touching my neck, the position is pure murder to my wrists at town speeds but whilst I get it going it eases up quite a bit thanks to the lack of the fairings.
So, with that said, have you found any problems with it?!?

Old 09-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

meh, nothing major

Old 09-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

And I thought I liked the odd broken bike challenge Mattson

Well done on getting the beast started. I'm now looking forward to seeing it get the Mattson treatment over your Winter.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

eBay is apparently a treacherous place... Went there to look for some parts, really just look...

Ordered:

-Used original exhaust
-Bar end mirrors
-Koso RX-2 gauge cluster

Can hear my Visa weeping in my jacket pocket from here

Still to order:

driver seat, found only `01 ones which is different from the renewed `02 model.

Woodcraft riser clip-on set, gotta go measure the front shocks tomorrow to be sure about the pipe diameter as I`ve found two versions both equally claimed to be the right one... I believe when I measure myself...

Old 09-28-2013, 11:23 AM

How much did you end up spending on the RX-2?

Did you find an exhaust in real good condition, or will it require some "touching up"?

Old 09-28-2013, 03:01 PM

Well, I didn`t actually buy the gauge from eBay cause I googled the name just to find out if any finnish shop will sell them, and one did. It cost me 270e (~365USD), I COULD have gotten it cheaper through eBay, BUT I would have had to order it from Germany and Ich sprecher deutsche nicht so I decided to spend the extra 40e to support the Finnish parts dealer and buy it from them for warranty reasons too.

The exhaust is said to be "near perfect condition, 8/10" but what got me a bit suspicious was that there is only one picture and it`s from the left side of the can so some scuffing MIGHT be present in the out side so I`m prepared to have to do work on it, a piece of sheep skin, a drill and a tube of farècla will do wonders! The can that I`m currently havin is said to be from some Kawasaki so basically anything is better than that, i`s butt ugly, doesn`t sit right and is stupid loud! The funny part is that the can cost me 49 english pounds, the shipping 39 what does together something like 110-120e which is STILL counting the shipping, way cheaper than any used part here, plus used Daytona parts are as rare as hen`s teeth here so I was prepared to have to throw some bills around when I got to it...

Gonna order the Woodcraft bars and a pair of levers in a minute. (edit) well would anyway if eBay would let me sign in, some technical difficulties... (edit2) managed with iExploder, apparently Opera has some difficulties with both computer and mobile versions, gonna switch to crome.

Also managed to find out what the two mysterious plugs under the rear seat are: The bare one with no connector on it is OBD reading port, gotta buy an OBD reader device to find out why the engine fault light is lit, and the one with the jumper is a socket for an optional anti-theft immobilizer, thank the lord I don`t have one, they`re known to malfunction and the main cause people part out these bikes cause they have a locked ECU...

Last edited by Mattson; 09-28-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:32 PM

One thing keeps bothering me, the front fairings that came with the bike:

Is that a Daytona mask at all? I`ve searched pics fom the internet for hours but just cannot find a single one with that kind of front light and the one-sided air intake snorkel. Anyone recognize it?

Last edited by Mattson; 10-29-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:41 AM

No sir, it is not even from Triumph at all... yes sir, I recognize it... that is from a road-going Aprilia RS250 two-stroke.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:04 AM

Another reason to have my way with it The light caught my eye the first time I saw the bike and I immediately said that's no Daytona nose...

Thanks for the info, really appreciated!

Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 AM

I don't recall the range of years, where the bodywork was the same, but this is a pic of a 2003 model.

Quick Reply: The story of one neglected Triumph...