Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

NSR 150?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NSR 150?

Hey everyone im brand new to this forum and I am looking to buy my first streetbike.

A bike that i am thinking of is an honda NSR 150, one of my mates was saying his older brother had a nsr 250 and he said it was a really good bike. But i believe they are two stroke so how much maitenance do they need? would I be better off saving some more money and getting a early-mid 90's CBR 250? (I'm pretty sure that there will be plenty of bias in the answers to that question :P)

Old 06-13-2007, 05:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NSR 150?

Welcome to the forum! Well i think they're pretty similar bikes... i guess it just comes down to 2 vs 4-stroke.

Here are some pros and cons to the 2-stroke that i found, perhaps you're familiar with these....

Advantages:
- Two-stroke engines do not have valves, simplifying their construction.
- Two-stroke engines fire once every revolution (four-stroke engines fire once every other revolution). This gives two-stroke engines a significant power boost.
- Two-stroke engines are lighter, and cost less to manufacture.
- Two-stroke engines have the potential for about twice the power in the same size because there are twice as many power strokes per revolution.
[align=left]Disadvantages:
- Two-stroke engines don't live as long as four-stroke engines. The lack of a dedicated lubrication system means that the parts of a two-stroke engine wear-out faster. Two-stroke engines require a mix of oil in with the gas to lubricate the crankshaft, connecting rod and cylinder walls.
- Two-stroke oil can be expensive. Mixing ratio is about 4 ounces per gallon of gas: burning about a gallon of oil every 1,000 miles.
- Two-stroke engines do not use fuel efficiently, yielding fewer miles per gallon.
- Two-stroke engines produce more pollution.
-- The combustion of the oil in the gas. The oil makes all two-stroke engines smoky to some extent, and a badly worn two-stroke engine can emit more oily smoke.
-- Each time a new mix of air/fuel is loaded into the combustion chamber, part of it leaks out through the exhaust port.
[/align]