Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

Davideo's BMW

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Davideo's BMW

I bought a 1975 BMW R75/6 last week and have started cleaning it up and making some modifications. I decided to start a thread here so that people reading my other project thread: https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-fi...ighter-131185/ can give me feedback and advice.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:13 PM

I've started brainstorming and doing research on what I would like to do with the bike and of course what started as "I'll make a few adjustments and get it going" is quickly turning into "I could do this, and I could do this, and this and that". One nice thing is that I've found some well documented work on this bike that makes it easy to do the changes I want. Here is my main inspiration: Ritmo Sereno I found this bike a while back and fell in love with it. It almost seems like fate that one similar just fell into my lap. This is a great thread on someone else's build that I'm pulling a lot of ideas from: PROJECT: 76 R75/6 Cafe - ADVrider

Old 12-04-2011, 09:41 PM

I have been toying with two color schemes in my head.
A: Match the Ritmo bike above
B: Dark Blue Metalic Tank and Fenders with Yellow/Orange Metallic Rims and accents

I've almost settled on the Ritmo color scheme. They pulled their inspiration for it from these old beasts:

I love these snowflake rims and I think they will really pop when I get some color on them.

I can't decide how I feel about this tail. It is big and a bit awkward but I feel like it might be worth modifying this one rather than trying to fab a whole new one.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 PM

I plan on making up some rear sets like this:

I'm going to use pod air filters like this one too

The shocks look kinda rough so I think I'm going to just replace them.

I was looking at these as replacements.

NEW! Motorcycle shocks BLACK GS Vmax Cafe Racer Harley | eBay

I also can't decide how I feel about this fairing. I took it off today and it look pretty nice but it is in good shape and I think I can add some dimension to it and make it look a bit better.

Last edited by davideokills; 12-05-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:45 PM

aw man this is gonna look awesome keep us updated!

...subscribed....

Old 12-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by volcom440

...subscribed....
ditto

but those pod filters are USE LESS when it comes to rain. i used to run some on my wifes GS500. anytime her or i got caught it the rain, it meant breaking the carbs down for a cleaning....

.... but they do look amazing though....

Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by volcom440

...subscribed....
Double-ditto! ;-)

I thinks its going to be a great project.

I agree w/ your keeping the tail. Mod it to look like the #56 bike's tail above, w/ the slope downward.

Look forward to updates!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:01 PM

After clearing out the battery box and removing the air filter cover I noticed this gap between the transmission and swingarm. It looks like enough room to run the mid pipe through and run the exhaust out the back. I've seen some aftermarket exhausts for these where they bring two into one and run it straight under the engine. All I would need to do is fabricate a mid pipe from there out the back and add a slip on. Thoughts?

Profile with everything cleared out.

Size of the gap.

I would probably need to cut this brace and move it toward the front of the bike a bit.

A quick mock up of what I think it might look like in MS paint

Some questions/concerns I have are:
Will the heat from the exhaust through that gap have any detrimental effect on the transmission there or the paint of the swingarm and what can I do to prevent this if it does?
How much space do I need between my exhaust and the seat/plastics out the back end?
What size pipe do I need to not restrict the pressure once they converge into one?
I've never tried to make an exhaust before so advice/tips to starting would be awesome.

Last edited by davideokills; 12-05-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:22 PM

Conrice do the pod filters just get saturated in the rain and draw the water into the carbs? Do you think I would still have the same problem with velocity stacks? I know they are even more exposed in some ways but the shape seems to deflect any water that isn't being blown directly back into it. I don't really plan on riding this in the rain but that is basically impossible to guarantee in Ohio.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:00 AM

1- Those rear sets are awesome. Glad you finally found a way to do it on the cheap. 2- I've always liked pipes that come up like that but I'm worried that the drastic angle from the underside straight up will choke it a bit. If it wont and it wont cause issues with transmission/swingarm paint it could be sweet. Even if you decide against it I think you still should turn the exhaust into a 2 into 1. 3- On your mock drawing of the tail I dislike the bottom edge being rounded. On Cafe's I always think it looks better when the tail matches the gas tank. Those have a flat bottom tank so I think it would look much cleaner with a flat bottom tail.