Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

CBR 600FY and/or Daytona 955i

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 600FY and/or Daytona 955i

Does anybody have any experience with the DAYTONA 955I (Not the 595 shape). I've found one locally that looks to be a pretty good deal.
I may keep the CBR and get a track ready (i think i'd cry if a parted with it)
and see how i get on.

How does the 955i compared to the CBR on the road?

I know its a lot bigger, and thats what of the reasons i'm looking.
The CBR can get a little cramped when doing 200 + miles.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:55 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got an 02 DSSA version that I'mcurrently building to be a cafe fighter crossbreed of some kind. Haven't ridden it much as it was a total turd when I bought it as a project but here's some pointers:

-Being a three cylinder engine it has a very distinctive sound. Kind of like an inline four and yet none of the sort.

-Also being a 955cc and three cylinder makes the bore and stroke pretty big, whic results in quite a different ride on a superbike. It has immense amount of torque, and surprisingly most of it is in the low register. Being used to my 600 f2 I constantly kept hitting the rev limiter when I should have shifted up eons ago. When you pass a car you don't stomp down three times, you twist the wrist and scream!

-If you live in the city center or have to do a lot of clutching in congested traffic this may not be the most pleasant bike as the first gear is ludicrously long. This could be fixed with changing the sprockets but that would result the very torquey bike to become even more wheelie happy. It is quite easy to pop an accidental wheelie with this thing if you take off carelessly.

The steering takes a bit getting used to as the bike has a strong tendency to pull the handlebars to the way you are turning in low speeds, but this of course disappears once you get going. Some say you won't need a steering damper but I wanted to put one on mine as I ride on gravel from time to time which the bike does NOT like.

If you buy one that has an original anti-theft system, dispose of it fortwith as they are known to fail and lock the ECM forever. It can also lock up if you don't know how to remove it so study first as there are instructions on the net.

The steerig bearing is one part that usually gives on these things due to lack of lubrication from the factory. When buying push the front brake in and rock the bike back and forth for any slack in the steering stem bearings.

The cooling system is known to rust from the inside so the first things you do maintenance wise should be a thorough flush of the cooling system, expect rusty sludge to come out. Also clean the pump and inspect the thremostat.

The valves are known to tighten over time so a valve clearance check would also be a good idea.

The quick connectors in the fuel couplings in the fuel pump panel at the bottom "hump" of the tank is a known failure point as they get brittle and break over time. There was a callback on these so specially if you live in the UK remove the right side knee panel and see that the bike has metal angle connectors in the fuel lines instead of red and white plastics.

That being taken into consideration, it's a great bike and has loads and loads of umph as being "only" a 955, if memory serves me correctly, it has 146hp which even for a 1000cc bike of that era and even current ones is a LOT!

check my build thread and ask away if questions rise.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Mattson; 01-15-2015 at 06:23 AM.