Off Topic Stickies A place for our most popular Off Topic threads.

#THE WEATHER THREAD#

Old 01-07-2016, 12:38 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you know it's cold? The winter brand windscreen wiper fluid is sold in solid blocks at the gas station

Old 01-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey! You can build an Igloo with those things.

The opposite here. It should be well below freezing here but it continues to stay warm.
We should be seeing -15F (-26C) but yesterday it was 45F (7C).

The ski slopes are still closed. Killington, north of me, reporting $6 million lose so far. Out west they are getting hammered with snow but nothing yet here. I went for a ride on the bike X-mas day, first time for that. I need to ride down and top the tank off today.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Been seeing temps between -22c and -28c for about a week now. Not at all incommon at this time of the year, what makes it weird is the entire "winter" so far has been much like yours with no snow and temps barely below freezing if even that, then about a week ago BAM reaching -30 all of the sudden.

I see one ski resort (Messilä) on my way to work far in the distance over one field, usually you can make out the slopes pretty easily from the rows of lights, all I`ve seen there for the past few mornings is a fuzzy orange smudge as all of their snow cannons are blasting at full bore. They`ve been reporting huge losses here as well for the past few years due to the start of the season being pushed back for months at the worst.

Southern Finland has seen a few cases of the lake effect as well as the Baltic sea and the Gulf of Finland is mostly open due to the warm winter so the wind carries a lot of water vapor inland which then collides with the freezing wind coming from Siberia and snows down in long streaks.

Last edited by Mattson; 01-07-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:59 PM

Got this pretty cool phenomenon on film as well the other day, no idea what`s it called in english. quite a lot of ice crystals in the air I reckon. Seen that happen a couple times before but no where near that bright before (notice I took it facing the sun straight up hence the dark pic, compare them to the fireball in the center and get an idea of the brightness) The left one literally was behind the trees, at first I thought it just flares off the windscreen until I realized it has a physical place and a body moving behind the trees. Or at least so it seemed, unlike a rainbow which is pretty impossible to pinpoint into a certain spot, these seemed like there was actually something there.

Last edited by Mattson; 01-07-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

In English, in the U.S anyway, those are called sundogs. And they are very cool indeed.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just came in from shoveling the deepest snow of the winter - four inches of dry, fluffy stuff. Not the normal snow for January. It's been quite dry and warm so far.

There was a Christmas day that allowed a ride some years ago - a two week spell of 40 to 50 F above left the roads dry. Except for one stubborn patch of ice that left me sliding across the pavement.

No chance of a ride today even if the roads were dry. It's 2F and not supposed to get too much warmer. Besides, once bitten twice shy. I no longer ride until spring and the snow is long gone.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not gonna get to use my new skis this year....bummer!
My ski club is heading to Big Sky next week. I couldn't sign up because I still don't know my spring work travel schedule.

Today its 50F (10C) outside and will be the same but raining over the weekend.
It should be -20F (-29C) this time of year. That's 70F (39C) difference from where it should be. By the end of January, the January thaw should be here but there is nothing to thaw.

Sun dogs...learned something new today.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:51 PM

The weather woman just called it the halo effect here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dogs

Think we`ve seen the worst of this frost, only -17 anymore and next week should rise to around -1 to -5.

Last edited by Mattson; 01-08-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful winter riding weather in Wisconsin these past 4 days! It's been in the 60's, and it couldn't have come at a better time! I just bought a 2004 600rr on Friday, and actually got to get out and ride a few days, in February, in Wisconsin! Hallelujah!

Old 02-21-2017, 12:54 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Mid 70's low 80's here in sunny FL....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: #THE WEATHER THREAD#