Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What the...?!

Old 10-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What the...?!

Now I do know this is not a music forum but it does have a good selection of people of different ages so I figured I`d try if I could raise some discussion over a musical performance group I discovered lately.

As a big consumer, dare I say a connoisseur of music, and as a true scandinavian, specially metal music I`m constantly on the lookout for new interesting bands and music genres. Mostly I listen to melodic power metal like Sonata Arctica, Dragonforce, you know the usual guitar hero stuff with insane 2 minute solos and the likes, but have been known to occasionally take a whole different path even to accapella (Peter Hollens), softer stuff (Seal) etc. I basically don`t care what the genre is if it has that certain something that differentiates it from the grey mass. I even tolerate a good rap song, again if it has that special something.

Then comes a band so bizarre yet extremely awesome you cannot decide what to think of it. Out of principle I resent those Idol, X factor etc bands and artists that has risen only to make money for the producers and record labels because it is not the artist`s or the band`s passion for music that drives them, it is money.

In this case I might have to make an exception because without that money making capitalist monster machine of the music industry this band would have never come to be. It is not every day when the likes of the lead artists would suddenly decide to stop doing what ever it was they were doing and start making metal music. Especially because what they were doing was most probably playing with barbie dolls.

Yes, I`m talking about Babymetal.

It`s got the Dragonforce piano, the awesome solos, the catchy chorus. And three preteen girls. Whatthe...?! -was exactly what I said when I first heard of the band. I actually waited three days to make this thread to properly listen to the band and give time to myself to form an unbiased opinion of it. Since it`s in Japanese I of course don`t have the slightest clue what they are singing but I`ve read the sonng is against bullying. The music itself IMO is pretty awesome, and since it`s coming from Japan I`m fairly certain the girls are in it from their own free will. But there`s just something in it that feels so very wrong. Not as a concept, as a metal buff I listen to it with great enthusiasm, but at the same time as a father of a 1,5yr old son I can confess having some mixed feelings listening to it, and especially thinking what some more closed minded people would think if they found out I`m listening to this. I can almost hear the pitchforks clanging together and smell the torches...

They are on a US/UK tour as we speak, they have warmed up Lady Gaga on a mini tour across America, they have released a promo video for the Japanese premiere of Metallica's movie Through the Never. etc etc.

Here`s a few other vids:

So, throw in what you think. as controversial as it is, I have decided I do like it. definitely will not blast it in my car drop top down through downtown but it is a nice change amidst all the overflowing masculinity amongst the metal genre.

Last edited by Mattson; 10-03-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Seems gimicky.... I'm having Loudness flashbacks.
Band is solid and not little girls. Kinda a System of a Down vibe on Megitsune ....

I give it a 7. Would be a 9 if there was a more powerful singer in english.

and lose the dancers.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:52 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's OK Matti, we all have our guilty secret musical pleasures.

In an effort to expunge my brain of any further thoughts of tweenie Japanese heavy metal children; I have indulged in mine.

You are far too young to ever heard of this woman, and to be fair, when I was growing up I thought she was pretty naff. It's only over the last few years that I have come to appreciate the quality of her voice.

Still don't like their style of music, but man, that voice can send shivers down your spine.

And she died way too young, from that crazy illness that no man has ever had.

Last edited by kiwi TK; 10-04-2014 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch. My ears! My speakers! Fortunately KiwiTK provided a Karen Carpenter number to sooth them.

Negative comments of the genre aside the girls sound pretty good. I'm not a fan of the pre-teen singing voice, male or female, but they have potential. Not sure about kids that young in that role. But kids working theater has gone on forever. Think of all the child stars in movies over the years. Sometimes it worked out well for them, sometimes not.

There are those who would see this group as exploitation of young girls and question your motives for listening. Perhaps some torches would be lit and pitchforks rattled.

Last edited by DRam; 10-06-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Really awkward sentence corrected.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Originally Posted by DRam
There are those who would see this group as exploitation of young girls and question your motives for listening. Perhaps some torches would be lit and pitchforks rattled.
Well that basically was the point of the whole thread. Deffy am not a diehard fan or probly would even listen to that many times, heck give it two weeks and I probly won't even remember their existense. My intentions in trying to raise conversation over this was not so much from a musical aspect than from the mentioned angle. Obviously it did not catch wind here so could aswell bury the whole thread for all I care...

Not that fond of the go go girls or their contribution for the whole show but I have a feeling we'll be hearing of the lead singer again when this thing eventually dries together...

Last edited by Mattson; 10-06-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:40 AM

But Matti did you fall into my trap and go searching for Karen Carpenter songs?

Voice of an angel. I know it's not your kind of stuff, but truly one of the greatest female vocalists of all time.

In my humble opinion.

Last edited by kiwi TK; 10-07-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:46 PM

Tried, really did give it a proper shot, just doesn`t do it for me...

Old 10-10-2014, 01:43 AM

Unlike my younger sibling I prefer Janis Joplin

Old 10-10-2014, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Well since it seems this thread has gotten completely off track, here is my all time favorite female singer, performing my favorite genre; the blues.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Well since it seems this thread has gotten completely off track, here is my all time favorite female singer, performing my favorite genre; the blues.
Is it actually possible to go off track in the Off Topic thread??

I always assumed that was kind of the point.

Free range, random thoughts that you manage to keep together long enough to actually compose a somewhat intelligible typed response.

Haven't had a listen to your offering yet Hamlin, but I'll get to that as soon as I get my drunk wife and her visiting sister organized into bed.

Ohh, the joys of living my side of the dateline, we get Friday a whole day before you guys.

Search this Thread