Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Starting my MSF basic rider course tomorrow (Fort Lauderdale, FL)....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Starting my MSF basic rider course tomorrow (Fort Lauderdale, FL)....

So I been practicing on my bike for over a month now, I learned how to ride a motorcycle when I was like 15 and I have driven stick for the past 12 years, I feel great on the bike but I respect it and know I cant be to over confident, I read the dmv booklet from the MSF site and it gave some useful info. I look forward to the class but I am a little nervous of a stupid slip up lol *Crosses fingers.

I have a 93' CBR900RR that I got from a car dealer that I barter services with, he gave it to me and I had to put about 500 bucks into it and the bike is running great. This is my starter bike and I know the class is a 250cc bike, I already do pretty good with U Turns, and other maneuvers I have practiced on the 900 so I expect to learn some new things and hopefully flow well with the class.

My buddy got a VTX1300, nice *** bike! and he is taking the class with me so that should be fun, only thing is, it is a 2 day class like 10 hours a day so hopefully we learn a lot and my only concern is the written part.

Any one take this course recently? Tell me something good lol

Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take water. I took the ERC last year during the summer here in Philly. Damn near died from the heat since we weren't really moving.

Take water!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 PM

i took the course 3 years ago so i cant say things are recent but i can say you shouldnt be worried about the written. they teach you so well during the class and when your done youll feel even better. good luck ride safe

Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 PM

Thanks! Ill take some water and yeah from some random posts I read through the googles every one said mostly good things about it. seems like the written should be well covered in the class.

florida is freaking hot right now and it might rain tomorrow

Old 07-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pay attention to the instructors & focus on the experience. Look at the course like a fun adventure - where you learn something...& you'll do fine.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you'll do great. take water and a light lunch. it'll be really hot. its a long day, but it won't feel like a long day at work, it'll feel like a day that you're doing what you want to do.

you're ahead of the curve. a lot of people in your class will have never rode a m/c before, so be patient. listen to the instructors, they know a TON!

have fun, learn from the instructors, and get your endorsement

Old 07-19-2011, 11:00 AM

I took it back in November, it was a lot of fun. I had been riding for about 4 months and was by far the best in the class... just pay attention and hang in there during the beginning it starts off really slow for the ppl who never road before.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Default The course...

So I got there at about 8am, class started at 8:30am, we did the class room part first and went over the book, the instructor basically had us tare out the questions at the end of the book, and he split us up into two groups. Only 5 of us in class. Myself, my friend jeff, and the federal agent were in one group, we named ourselves Team B lol and basically we were told to take a handful of questions and find the answers and after each set of questions we shared with the other group the question, answer and where we found it. Pretty easy stuff, but everything was pretty much by the book. They showed some dated videos as well, the fun part was the riding

My buddy and myself have been riding a few months now, this other dude that been riding a while and does some racing (he asked if we can get endorsement by thursday cause he has court on friday! lol he got caught we will call him Alex ) We had a federal agent that hasnt ridden in 20 years and last he rode was dirt bikes, never a street bike, we also had a girl that has never rode a Motorcycle and does not know how to drive stick.

When we went on lunch after the classroom part and before the riding, we saw the girl at subway and she asked me is shifting that hard?? hmm, I told her just take it easy and listen and she will start getting the hang of it. She told me her boyfriend has a bike and rides a lot but he never had her ride his bike.

Anyways, myself and my buddy by far did the best, the dude Alex was a little slow, didnt look through turns, braked through most of the turn even after the instructor told us to brake before the turn and roll the throttle through the turn. I was surprised he wasnt that good based on his experience he said he had.

I enjoyed the class, its freaking hot as hell and tomorrow is last day, going to get there at 6:20am and do the warmup and then class starts after that.

I will let you know how it goes and they been taking pics so I will post some up when I see them lol

Thanks for the advice guys! They had water and snacks and gave us an hour lunch.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:47 PM

i had that class just past sunday, but ours was 2 days 9 hours a day

Old 07-19-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by TheCult
i had that class just past sunday, but ours was 2 days 9 hours a day
so is mine, today and tomorrow only.

Quick Reply: Starting my MSF basic rider course tomorrow (Fort Lauderdale, FL)....