Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

New search engine- Forum Specific

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New search engine- Forum Specific

<Dunno if which place was more was appropriate, "OT" or "Suggestions"....I went with OT.>

A guy on a local forum has made, what I think, is a very neat search engine. It searches classifieds sections on forums which helps to weed out crap like E-bay and Craig's List. I found it very effective when I tried a few test runs.

Here are a few quotes from the creator,WOTEugene:

I decided to build a little search engine with a specific use: To index and search various forum-based classifieds.

The idea first came to me when I was looking around for a replacement exhaust for my track bike. My daily search routine would include going to 4-5 different bike forums, ebay, etc - and I thought "what a pain in the *** - why isn't there an easier way to do this?"

So... I decided to solve my own problem, and built a search engine to do just that. Unlike other major search engines (like Google), which index the whole interweb, since I'm only indexing a small subset of the web, I can have much faster re-crawls and provide relevant up-to-date results with little noise.
Right now it's only indexing a hand-full of forums, most of which are bike forums, with some car and other misc. forums as well. In fact, you can see an up-to-date list of all the forums which are currently being indexed
Also, if you are members of any other forums which have good activity and have a classifieds section, let me know about it via this suggestion form so that I can add them to the index
Lastly, keep in mind that this is the very first version of the software - mostly testing the waters to how people respond to it and if it starts getting a loyal user base.
I want to mix in as much stuff as I can....So, if you know any car forums, or any other forums, be it fishing, atv's, video games, electronics, photography, whatever - and they have a classifieds section, feel free to submit em.

And by all means spread the word!

Forum/ Bulliten Board Search--> http://bbsearcher.com/

BBSearcher Forum Index

BBSearcher Site Suggestions

bergs' Disclaimer: I did not make this search engine. I am not getting any kickbacks whatsoever for this. I'm not affiliated with any company associated with this. I'm merely spreading the word for a fellow and local rider who is attempting to create something that allows people to look through a forum's classifieds for specific items.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Default RE: New search engine- Forum Specific

Okay, I'm having trouble hyperlinking so I just put the link in the first post.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting concept.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:11 PM

I thought so.I hadthis forum added to the index and I hope people herehelp to expand it.

I know I can't stand doing a web search for something specific and getting crap in return which is aresultof using certain keywords.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:26 PM

Now that is very cool.

I would not have to spend hours searching for some long ago visited forum, or special website that initially took me from website to
subsite, and on and on.

Very nice.

If he develops this really well, then he has a goldmine on his hands.

(Wish I enjoyed coding...but after Turbo Pascal and using a 1980's Lotus based system, I just got turned off by the arcane.)

Though today there are cool new ways to code that are a lot easier.

I believe if I understood correctly, they compile and debug on the fly.

No more Boolean Algebra, or phrases that go against decades of learned language, grammar, etc.

Anyway, great services come from knowing how to code these days.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea. If he does hit it big, it'll be the next Google (or Google will buy it out )

Old 12-27-2007, 07:37 PM

Neat-o...although I'd be really happy if the login screen would--just once, or twice--remember my cookie...